- 1 Introduction
- 2 Able Edition
- 3 Dale Glass Edition
- 4 Nicholaz Edition (Discontinued)
- 5 Marine Edition
- 6 Henri Beauchamp Edition
- 7 Onrez Viewer
- 8 RealXtend Edition
The Extended FAQ states that it is okay to create and distribute homebrew viewers as long they adhere to the respective licenses for code usage and server usage.
The code itself is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), which governs modification and redistribuition of the source code. Use of Linden Lab's servers will still be governed by the Second Life Terms of Service].
Homebrew viewers are obviously not associated with LindenLab, are governed by their own respective licenses. LindenLab is not responsible for any desired or undesired results in association with those viewers.
Note to authors: If you make a viewer available make sure to include platform, version numbers and dates.
This is a Windows viewer is an unofficial build which adds a Mute Visibility feature, which allows objects in-world to be rendered partially or entirely invisible.
- Mute Visibility
- Improvements to the Mute List
- Muting objects applies to entire linksets
- Website: Able Whitman on Blogspot
- Direct download link: http://ablewhitman.org/viewer/
- Source code: http://ablewhitman.org/viewer/
Dale Glass Edition
This is a Windows (soon Linux) viewer which adds new experimental features. The features are intended to give users more information about the world and to simplify moderation by making it easier to tell where people are and what they're doing.
- Avatar Scanner
- Shows nearby avatars, roughly in drawing distance range.
- Shows name, age, payment info, current activity.
- Land and estate commands for ejecting/banning multiple avatars at once
- Integration with Luskwood moderation tools
- Buttons to open profile, IM, teleport to or track selected avatars
- Event Log: Experimental feature, shows a list of active particle effects (soon sounds too), and their owners. Allows moving camera to emitter.
- Branding: Replaces LL branding with my own. Different login page, checks for updates against my server.
- Logging of the owner and location of speaking objects
- Website: http://sl.daleglass.net
- Blog: http://daleglass.wordpress.com
- Direct download link: http://sl.daleglass.net/download
- Source code: http://svn.daleglass.net/sl/release/ ( subversion )
Nicholaz Edition (Discontinued)
Note: Development of this viewer is discontinued.
- Particle system improved
- Different memory management for image list
- Many patches from the bug tracker which are not yet in the official viewer
- Old style GUI and GUI redesigns for the voice viewer
- Website: Nicholaz Beresford on Blogspot
- Direct download link: Download versions of this viewer
- Source code: Look at the download site for the source-xxx-zip archive
This viewer, codename "RestrainedLife" is an attempt at enhancing the experience of people who practice BDSM in Second Life. It is used jointly with simple scripts made to use its features in-world, such as making an attached object undetachable, preventing chat and such. An API (Application Programming Interface, a text file) is provided so that every content creator can create their own scripts to interface their own items to the viewer and use its features.
- Attachments can be made undetachable
- Chat and IM prevention on demand, with exceptions if needed
- Teleport and sit-tp prevention on demand, with exceptions if needed
- Editing and Rezzing prevention on demand
- Adding/Removing clothes on demand, + force remove clothes and force remove unlocked attachments
- Force sit and prevent stand up (even after a relog) on demand
- Manual (by IM) and automatic (by script) version checking
- API for content creators
- Website: Marine Kelley's blog on Blogspot
- Direct download link to the Windows viewer: Download for Windows (Executable and readme)
- Direct download link to the MacOS X viewer: Download for MacOS X (Executable and readme, courtesy of Mo Noel)
- Direct download link to the Linux viewer: Download for Linux (Executable and readme, courtesy of Loom Kish)
- Source code and text API : Download (Text files)
- API as a wiki page : API (Wiki format)
- Specification to interface cages & furnitures with the viewer through the use of a relay : Relay Spec (Wiki format)
Version and timestamp
- Version : 1.10.4, compiled on SL official viewer 220.127.116.11
- Date : 02/15/2008
Henri Beauchamp Edition
This viewer, codename "Cool SL Viewer" combines elements of several of the other viewers, as well as some extra patches very carefully tested.
- Reverses many of the unpopular interface changes made in the transition to voice being standard (including reinstating the packet loss and bandwidth indicators, and optionally reinstating the old, more visible, tracking dots in the mini-map).
- Implements the "Restrained Life" API discussed more fully in the Marine Edition client.
- Defines double-click default actions for many types of inventory.
- Allows to optionally prevent IMs to show in the main chat.
- Allows to hide the "Release Keys" and/or the "Master volume" in the panel overlay.
- MUD/MUSH/MUCK/MU* style "poses"
- Various patches by Nicholaz Beresford, Gigs Taggart, Blakar Ogre, and others.
- Website: The Cool SL Viewer homepage
- Direct download link to the Linux viewer: Download for Linux
- MacOS X viewer: See Barney Boomslang's site for files and instructions.
- Windows viewer: See Boy Lane's site for files and instructions.
- Source code: The standard Linden codebase is used, with the addition of the patches listed and linked to on the homepage.
Version and timestamp
- Version : i686 18.104.22.168 CoolRelease 6
- Date : 2008/04/10
- Version : i686 22.214.171.124 CoolRelease 3
- Date : 2008/04/10
The Onrez viewer was made by the Onrez company in connection with a Second Life themed story on the high tech forensics based TV show "CSI: New York".
- A back and history button for teleports
- In-viewer web browsing.
- http://viewer.onrez.com for the download
The source code for this viewer is closed source.
The realXtend viewer is a heavily modified version of the Linden Labs' Second Life client by a partnership of two Finnish companies, ADMINO technologies and LudoCraft.
* Second life compatibility mode for use in SL and Opensim worlds * Teleports between realXtend and Secondlife