Feature Design Document
- document camera actions when:
- dragging on your avatar, nametag or attachments while walking or flying
- dragging on your avatar, nametag or attachments while sitting.
- mouse wheel camera distance.
- Ctrl-8, 9, 0 camera FOV (Field of View)
- alt-arrows, page up, page down
- ctrl-alt-arrows, page up, page down
- ctrl-1 camera zoom, orbit, pan
- mouselook view + mouse
- arrows or WASD while sitting
- arrows or WASD while sitting on object using llSetCameraEyeOffset and llSetCameraAtOffset.
- arrows or WASD while sitting and Follow Cam (llSetCameraParams).
- region crossing in vehicle that controls your camera (arrows or WASD continues to drive vehicle and not camera)
- View > Camera Controls widget
- H focuses on selected object.
- Shift-H zooms to selection.
- ctrl-\ focuses camera on last person or item that chatted.
Discussion for future improvements
The best thing about the SL Camera Controls is that each avatar has a generously deep and wide field of vision. The most frustrating thing about this agile camera is that there is no option for the camera to be bound by elements in space. Physical prims will restrict camera movement, but most objects in SL, and certainly the most interesting architecture, are made from non physical objects. the irony being that the objects one would most like to inspect are the most difficult to. personal spaces, therefore, must be enormous otherwise the camera just falls out of your house. my suggestion is in two parts: first, offer a prim option to restrict camera boundaries, and second, an opt in with keyboard shortcut to be bound by the boundary restricting prims. my feeling is that rather than reaching outward for more space and freedom of movement, spaces will get tighter and be used more conscientiously.
Relationship to other features
List of features that need to be tested when this feature changes, and why.