This page links to tools & tutorials for making clothing and skins Please add your fave tuts, remove obviated bits, and improve the usefulness of this resource!
- Linden body and clothing templates, for eyes, head, face, hair, upper and lower body, skirt; templates as TGA with instructions as PDF; 7 MB
- Chip Midnight's improved clothing templates, ZIP of 512x512 PDF files for head, upper and lower body, skirt; 10.7 MB
- Clothing & Skin Templates - By Chip Midnight. These templates are even higher-rez than the official ones. Chip Midnight is an original master of fine fashions in SL. Once you get really serious about detail, you’ll want to get these and have a deep look.
- Second Life tutorials - By Robin Sojourner AKA Robin Wood. She has a really elegant, organized approach. Check out her fantasy art as proof! She’s mentioned that she’ll be adding more to this site, so keep watching, and check out her posts on the forums too, like her fab T-Shirt Template — learn how to make wrinkles without photo-sourcing! Download also her UV templates.
- Second Life Clothing Tutorials - By LeeZu Baxter. The creator of [LeeZu!] Designs, LeeZu Baxter offers step by step tutorials to assist new builders as they face the challenges of creating their own original designs.
- Second Life Clothing Tutorials - By Minmo Dreadlow. A Simple tutorial on how to create a t-shirt using photoshop, or turn your own clothing into secondife clothes with photoshop. Offers several free shirt fabrics as well.
- Tutorials - By Nicola Escher. The presentation of these tuts is aesthetically pleasing. These have been newly updated for ‘07, and are also available in German, Dutch (Nederlands), Chinese, and Norwegian translations. Nicola says: "I’ve got Spanish and Italian on the way." Very easy to follow, effectively illustrated. These elegant episodes include:
- T-Shirt Tutorial - By Nephilaine Protagonist, head of PixelDolls, quality in quantity for the avatar. Here she shows how to make a shirt. It’s a bit hard to read, but follow the directions and keep at it. Note: the tutorial is currently missing, but Nephi left a note that she's planning to rewrite it.
- Chosen Few's SL forum posts - This sci-fi expert is a texturing databank. Watching him answer questions is like a cross between classical opera and a current events talk show, without the boring parts. The often-messy structure of the SL Forums has ironically lent itself well to his clarity. Just read his posts! Note: the tutorial is currently unavailable
- SLUniverse Knowledge Base - By Cristiano Midnight. More than just clothing tutorials, this is a whole potpourri of SLinfo you’ll want to plunge into.
- Tattoo Creation - By Amber Stonecutter. Tattoos may be likened to clothes that are harder to take off, at least offline. The magic unfolds in this thread. Amber had never made a tutorial before, and in response to Flugel inquiring, she spontaneously cooked one up — pictures and all! She even got props from Chosen and Robin.
- Natalia's SL Diary - By Natalia Zelmanov. A listing of over 30 tutorials from her blog, including clothing, hair, jewelry, particle, shoes, and techniques. Here are some highlights:
- How to make SL clothes in the Gimp - By Seshat Czeret. The first installment of a series of SL clothing tutorials, each linked to the next. The series starts with preparation, and continues with making a simple t-shirt and adding highlights and shadows. It explains why you do each step, as well as how.
Also see The Theory of Second Life Skin and Clothing. This is useful regardless of which image program you use.
- Cassie Clowes Clothing Videos - By Cassie Clowes. Read the FAQ regarding information. Video tutorials that are high quality and with clothing templates (socks, tshirts, pants, etc)