Content Creation/Mesh Import User Group
Come discuss any issues around content creation - its challenges, limitations in the tools, workarounds and successes. Land is provided next to the office build for rezzing example content. Bug reports and feature requests should have JIRA ticket numbers if at all possible, as it makes it easier to collaborate on issues both internally and externally.
Priority will be given to topics that are posted in advance and are relevant to the goals of the office hour. Feel free to include relevant links to JIRA or wiki pages.
Agenda for the next user group meeting is:
Please add topics below prior to 11:50 AM. Also, please put your SL name down so we can follow up if we have questions. Thanks!
Enter agenda items here (with name, please)
- Mesh is better than regular prims or sculpties in all regard. It should be the future of SL. However, Mesh is being completely killed outside of clothing by the fact that Land Impacts are ridiculously high in comparison to regular prims or sculpties. No one would buy an optimized, zero lag, gracefully degrading with low levels Mesh chair, that is better for the servers and clients alike, which costs more than 1 Li, when they can buy a horribly laggy sculpty chair which is only 1 Li. Regular users don't even understand why sculpties are bad for them and everyone else. When a sculpty made of about 2000 triangles has 1 Li, even when it is a 64x64 mega, and a Mesh with about 300 tris in its highest LOD version, and all lower LODs rigorously optimized, can have a Li of 4 to 15 for example, depending on size, then Mesh simply has no chance at replacing the outdated, resource wasting sculpties. And as a builder who sworn to work exclusively in Mesh now, I feel like I'm being punished for using what is better for everyone. So, how could this situation be remedied? Storm Engineer 14:04, 25 March 2013 (PDT)
- Are there any trustworthy estimations yet on when the first normals/specular/diffuse maps compatible viewer may arrive? Storm Engineer 18:33, 28 March 2013 (PDT)
- Is rigging to the collision bone a feature linden labs supports or is it just a bug that will be fixed in future viewer release?
- What do we want? Arbitrary Skeleton and Character Animation System! When do we want it? NOW! Also, the amount of poly's people wear on their avatar needs to be limited. 500k poly hair is not cool, I don't care who you are. 3
- A stop to emotionalism and argumentation regarding different building tools available in SL. Encourage the ending of the "us-versus-them" attitudes of some mesh creators (See Storm Engineer above). This is not the forum for "the outdated, resource wasting sculpties" & "using what is better for everyone" kinds of remarks. The arrival of Instagram photography doesn't make oil paintings irrelevant. Please stop the hate, it's not what makes SL great. Toady Nakamura 10:29, 1 April 2013 (PDT)
- Toady WTF are you talking about??, What kind of hate? Sculpties are outdated, horrbily optimized and hurting both the servers and the clients. This is technological fact. If you don't understand how sculpties, meshes, and 3D in general works, don't make comments. You are supposed to add intreresting topics to be debated, but your text here is pure trolling. Storm Engineer
- Enter your topic ABOVE this line! End with 3 or 4 ~ to add your name or name and date
Nyx Linden, Vir Linden, Prep Linden, and occasional other guest lindens. Please contact one of us if you are unsure if your topic is relevant or appropriate.
Links to chat transcripts of past meetings:
Archived Agenda/Meeting Notes
No Usergroup 2012-05-28 (Linden Holiday)
No Usergroup 2012-01-16
No Usergroup 2011-12-26 or 2012-01-02
No meeting took place on 2011-09-05
No meeting took place on 2011-07-04
No meeting took place on 2011-05-31