What is it?
- CopyBot is an exploit on Second Life which allows users to make copies of objects without the
permission of their creators.
- CopyBot does not need permissions to copy an object. The copier does not even need to own the
- CopyBot cannot copy scripts.
- CopyBot can only copy objects it can directly see. It cannot enter a shop and copy all of the products
because all it can see is the vendors.
- CopyBot is not an object in Second Life, nor a script. It is a program which a person runs on their computer
instead of running the regular Second Life. It logs in as an avatar.
- Using the CopyBot is a breach of the Second Life Terms of Service and can result in being banned.
- If an object of your is copied, you can Abuse Report the copier and file a DMCA notice against them.
- Help or Mentors will not tell you where to get the CopyBot.
- The "CopyBot Defeater" tries to get rid of CopyBots by sending the message "!quit" over and over again to
everyone in range. A CopyBot that gets this message will believe it's a quit command and will exit but don't be fooled the CopyBot Defeater isn't actually defeating anything, it is actually the copybot itself and doesn't help.
How can i stop the messages?
Unfortunatly there isn't an official way of stopping these messages as of yet because the problem hasn't been seen around till a few days ago but this method seems to do the trick for most people so try the following out and if your still having problems then contact LiveHelp stating that you have already tried this. Follow the simple steps below:
- Go to your chat history window by click on "Chat" near the bottom left corner of your interface next to "IM".
- In the chat history window go to the box at the top with the down arrow in it and click on the arrow.
- Scroll through the list of names and find the one called copybot and click on it then go to the Mute Resident button in your chat history window. NOTE: There may be more than one bot so you might have to do this several times to stop them all.
ATTENTION:Doing this can in most cases mute the owner of the land you muted the copybot defeater in so if you can't hear the owner of the land you might want to temporarly unmute the copybot defeater.
If it still doesn't stop after this then either contact firstname.lastname@example.org or LiveHelp.
Barnzy Soyer (LiveHelper)