German speaking Linguists/Meeting Summaries

From Second Life Wiki
< German speaking Linguists
Revision as of 13:05, 6 March 2009 by Zai Lynch (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


This page lists the summaries of the German speaking Linguists meetings. The complete transcripts including lists of attendees are linked to the group page.

March 5th 2009

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Informed that official blog translations might be upcoming for French, Japanese and German.
  • Tried to find places for CT-273

February 4th 2009

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Future meetings will be in Tenera since Localization Central isn't open for all GsL members
  • Ideas for improvement of Localization Central can be discussed at the mailing list(s)
  • WEB-956 is a known issue and developers are trying to fix it
  • The CT Wiki archive will be extended with with "last update", as well as Japanese and French issues.
  • KB articles on the to do list should belong to either NUE (New User Experience), Land or LindeX
    • Suggestion: Take articles from Second Life Beginers category
    • Mail suggestions to Simone ( Simone@LindenLab.com )

Office Hour Part:

  • CT-168 needed an editor (Torben assigned himself)
  • No news on Localization Portal, BUT:
Simone made her Linden Bear!
Woot! (^_^)

January 8th 2009

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Update on Simone Lindens most recent office hour (which most people missed ^^)
  • Discussion about a mailing list
    • There is a Google and Yahoo mailing list available.
    • At the next Mentor Linguists meeting on Wednesday January 14th, there'll be a poll on which one to use.
    • Lore, Lara and Luipher voted for Google already.
    • Proposed guideline for the list: Use ISO 639-1 codes to indicate translation project the mail is about and language the mail is written in.
      • Example: [de_en] as code for: Mail about the German translation project, written in English.

December 4th 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Welcomeing najlar Allen and giving a summary on latest changes in the Volunteer Program, the community translations, etc.
  • Talking about prolems in the Public Nightly
  • Discussion on the terms Root Prim, Child Prim, Linkset and Sculpty
  • Socializing

November 6th 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Explanation: i18n stands for internationalization, while L10n is used for localization. (further info)
  • Simone will have a look at the VAT KB article CT-36.
  • The terms Openspace and Homestead won't be translated. Homestead might have an additional description like: Homestead (Region für leichte Besiedlung)
  • Raised attention to and asked about contributions for MISC-1705 Meta issue - i18n and L10n issues
    • Responses from Danica:
      • @MISC-1418: "Terms of Service will not be translated for another 6 months"
        • Unofficial translations can be stored in the Wiki with an appropriate disclaimer.
      • @MISC-1281: "Arabic, we have some i18n issues around bi-directional encoding. so that will be a little bit more"
      • @WEB-821: "I am trying to change this. I think we'll get rid of browser language recognition by February. it is annoying I admit"
  • Request to have a look at CT-81 and the connected Wiki page in order to find bugs preventing localization.
  • The upcoming localization portal will be a toolset from Lingotek
  • A temporary glossary for French and German is available over here. This one can be used until the Localization Portal is in place (sheduled for January 2009).
  • Strife Onizuka managed to modify Template:Multi-lang in a way that it distinguishs LSL articles and non-LSL articles and adds them to a category for each language in case the translation is missing. See Template:Needs Translation for a collection of links to the related categories.
    • It is also now possible to mark translated pages as out of date (with only one edit) once the base page is changed. More on that at the next meeting.
  • Final decision on Sie vs. Du topic: You will be translated with "Sie" on the second life page since it also addresses businesses.
  • Simone Linden (German localization specialist) will shedule office hours in the future (no date set atm).

October 2nd 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  1. Explanation what the RHN is and what the GsL are expacting of their membership
  2. Update on changes within the RHN
    1. More regular RHN meetings etc. (see also RHN Meeting Transcripts)
  3. Changes within Project:Languages explained and VidTut linked
    1. Got to add: Description is also available at the Mentor Linguist Scribe Translation Project
  4. Update on German KB Translation Project (new Final Review section)

September 9th 2008

This was an Office Hour of Lexie Linden, not a regular monthly GsL meeting:

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

September 4th 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

August 20th 2008

This was an Office Hour of Tom32 Anatine, not a regular monthly GsL meeting:

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting:

  • Localization of KB article links more difficul then expected.
  • Tom is writing a webinterface to easily add suggestions for glossary improvements.
  • We might have a GsL blog for updates and are hoping that RSS for the Wiki might become available (WEB-590)

August 19th 2008

This was an Office Hour of Lexie Linden, not a regular monthly GsL meeting:

Summary

A short summary of the decisions and discussed topics of this meeting:

  • Danica thanks for the work and effort.
  • Tom is going to proofread all submitted translations (unless the translator doesn't like to).
  • Tom is going to submit suggestions for changes in the glossary.
  • It is O.K. to change the wording in formal articles into formal German while translating non-formal English.
  • Quality Assurance (AQ) is done by an agency in San Francisco (SF), who are required to use SL and who are basically correcting spelling and interpunctuation.

(+ further topics. going to expand the summary)

August 8th 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. Community Translation Project
    1. Needs to be done in UTF-8 format and compressed (zipped)
    2. Tom will have Office Hours on Wednesday 1 PM SLT (22:00 MET) in Flo with Q&A about this project.
    3. Further info about that will be stored at German speaking Linguists/Project/KB Translation
    4. KB Articles and translations will also be sandboxed at that spot for those who don't like using the PJira
    5. The How to Localize Your World article is currently not up-to-date and will be fixed soon.
    6. Suggestions for glossary changes can be forwarded to Danica Linden (with a relay over Tom).
  2. Blog Translation Project
    1. Project is currently paused until we get feedback of Danica Linden about a possible timeframe for the Localization Portal (see office hour transcript)
    2. Old translations will be converted with the new template and moved to the GsL space.
    3. Possibility to add an inSL blog instead of posting it to the Wiki was mentioned by Tom
  3. LSL Portal Translation
    1. A list of all(?) articles of the LSL Portal is posted at the project page.
    2. Further documentation about the translation process will be added there.
  4. Resident Help Network Groups
    1. Changes in the guidelines were mentioned as well as an upcoming meeting in the next week(s) with the group representatives.
  5. Lore will bring a cake to the next meeting.


August 5th 2008

This was an Office Hour of Lexie Linden, not a regular monthly GsL meeting:

Summary

  1. Community Translation Project started on August 4th (see also VTeam Blog)
  2. Using the PJira for translation projects is a temporarily solution, until a Localization Portal is established.[1]
    1. Localization Portal will be neither Wiki nor PJira but some other software.[2]
    2. Localization Portal will allow to translate Viewer, KB and Blog.[1]
  3. Current Translation Project contains 25 most urgent KB articles[3]
    More then 100 might come up during the process.[4]
  4. It's fine to copy KB articles to the Wiki, translate them there and then add them to the PJira.[5]
  5. Danica Linden doesn't have a Linden Bear but promised to bring one to the next meeting.[6]


July 3rd 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. Upcoming KB translation project announced.
  2. New Localization Portal advertised & upcoming changes explained.
    (Articles in need for translation will be split in two pseudo-categories: LSL articles and other articles)
  3. Thx to all supporters of our SL5B exhibition.
  4. Discussion about a translation testpage for practicing purposes in the Wiki.
    There won't be such a testpage but new (and old) translators are welcome to translate any Wiki page and request constructive feedback about their translation at either the GsL discussion page or in the inworld groups groupchat.
  5. Blog translation project planned with Igel Hawks.
  6. Discussion about pros and cons of voluntary translators for official pages (KB and Blog)
  7. Discussion about ToS translations in the Wiki (ref).
    Jira will be filed to get feedback whether or not
    1. ...ToS translations are allowed to be published in the Wiki.
    2. ...these translations will become linked to the ToS page.
    3. ...official ToS translations are planned.
  8. Project:Languages meeting announced (date to be published via group notice).
  9. Attention raised to discussion about merging or distinguishing of Project:Languages and Project:i18n.


June 17th 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. We finally got a SL5B parcel (WOOT!)
  2. Although the building period officially ends at the 20th of June, we might fix things afterwards as well, since the approvement came really late =)
  3. Not everyone got access to the parcel prior June 23rd, but we can build in sandboxes and let Asriazh, Tom, Peter or Zai place the exhibits.
  4. Exhibits are:
    1. A poster with misstranslations by Babbler/Bablefish to show it's ineffectivity (Assignees: Keumjoo & Zai).
    2. A wall with "False Friends" (common translation misstakes) which is scripted like in the "Wheel of Fortune" game show (Assignees: Lore & Tom)
    3. A wall with the name of the group in many languages (translations collected here). (Assignee: Tom)
    4. A "Language Barrier"-wall with the words Language Barrier written on, in many languages (translations collected here). This wall can be torn apart (physical prims). (Assignees: Asriazh, Kuraiko and Zai).
    5. A bridge over (troubled) water with German speaking Linguists written on in many languages (translations collected here). (Assignee: Asriazh)
    6. A worldmap with two faces which are speaking. Letters are merging above Austria, Germany and Swizzerland. (Assignee: Tom)
    7. A group mascot (Assignee: Zai)
    8. Maybe a map of Austria, Germany and Swizzerland with some clickable sightseeing spots.
  5. Lore is a lucky winner of a SLVI parcel and donated it to the German speaking Linguists. The spot is set to the group now and we can build a fun and functional advertising space. Some of the SL5B exhibits might be recycled and a wheel of furtine might be places meanwhile.


June 5th 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. Decision: All German and English articles should be synchronized in style and content.
  2. Presentation and explanation of the translated Volunteer Portal.
  3. Introduction to the LSL Portal Translation Project.
  4. Definition who we are and who we'd like to be by:
    1. Renaming the group from German Linguists to German speaking Linguists.
    2. Relocation of future meetings to the Volunteer HQ in Tenera to include non-mentor participation.
    3. Decision to found an inworld group named German speaking Linguists with the charta listet below.
    4. Decision to create a role named GsL Supporter for those who'd like to support the German speaking Linguists but who aren't able to speak German themselfs.
    5. Decision to take part in the lottery for a parcel at the SLVIs to build a fun- & functional advertising space.
    6. Decision to send an application for an exhibit at the SL5B to present the German speaking Linguists. Willingness to collaborate with the German Mentors to represent the German community at this event.
    7. Decision to apply as an endorsed group.


Charter for German speaking Linguists inworld Group

German speaking Linguists are Residents of SL who are able to speak German and at least one additional language. Furthermore, they feel dedicated to the translation of the Second Life Wiki or other Second Life related non-profit resources. Beeing a member of the inworld groups German speaking Linguists or Second Life Mentors is not required to label yourself as a German speaking Linguist. These memberships are optional and require the compliance to certain guidelines. Have a look at the Volunteer Portal for guidlines of the Second Life Mentors group. The guidelines for the German speaking Linguists inworld group are:

  • Having the will to support the goals of the German speaking Linguists by contributing your skill (no need to be able to actually speak German).
  • Obey to the Tao of Volunteers while speaking in the group chat or while representing the German speaking Linguists group.
  • No non-Linguists related chat in the group channel (e.g.: no advertisement).

Violation of these guidelines might result in an exclusion from the inworld group after one warning.


May 8th 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. Update on ISO 639-1 vs. ISO_639-3 topic
  2. Discussion: Should German and English articles be synchronized?
    Brought attention to WEB-456
    Further discussion needed
  3. Changes in the Linguist Pavillion (notecard board removed, RSS Feed reader added)
  4. Upcoming changes (in that order)
    1. Move ISO 639-3 articles
    2. Move Category:Text_from_In-world_Notecards_(German) articles
    3. Translate the Volunteer Portal
  5. Improvements suggested for the Linguist HUD made by James Benedek
    (Should be smaller and hideable) + (Should be added to the Linguists Pavillion)



April 16th 2008

Summary

A short summary about the decisions and topics of this meeting:

  1. A transcript of this meeting will be made and published on the wiki
  2. Monthly German Linguists meetings will be hosted every first Thursday of the month at 21:15 MEZ (12:15 PM SLT)
  3. If the first Thursday of a month is a holiday, the meeting will be postponed by one week
  4. Meeting place is the German Pavillion of the Linguist Center in SLVEC
  5. Every upcoming meeting will have a transcript as well published on the wiki at German_Linguists/YYYY_MM_DD_Transcript
  6. A reminder to use the summary bar and discussion pages at the wiki and to mark minor edits as such
  7. Informations about current wiki bugs WEB-154 and WEB-602 as well as a feature request: WEB-590
  8. A discussion about the proper translation of "You" to German. "Sie" vs. "Du". The discussion became obsolete by an IM of Lexie Linden stating to use "Sie" for everything formal (like guidelines and rules) and "Du" for conversational topics. A revision of already translated articles is welcomed but no must.
  9. A wiki-page named German Linguists will be made. Topics at this page will be
    1. Links to all transcripts of upcoming German Linguists meetings
    2. A translation project regarding the translation of the Volunteer Portal including guidelines
    3. Informations about "ISO 639-1 to ISO 639-3 migration" (known as /de vs. /deu)
    4. Informations about the style guide regarding "Du" and "Sie" as translation of "You"
  10. A discussion on how to improve the Orientation Sessions