Get source and compile
Even if you don't plan to develop, just the act of downloading and compiling can uncover problems. If the version you download doesn't build on your platform, file a bug.
Installing windows core development tools and libraries
Most software needed for development is either in \\alexandria\share\software or in the MSDN Library CDs (in a binder, usually in the server room)
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional
- Install the Platform SDK (from alexandria)
- Install DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (Summer 2003)
- Start Visual C++
- Go to Tools/Options/Projects/VC++ Directories
- Make sure that the includes and libraries paths have the DirectX SDK paths first, then the Platform SDK paths, and then the Visual C++ paths.