Linden Lab Official:Adult Content FAQ
From Second Life Wiki
This article provides clarifications to the basic information on adult content provided in the SL Knowledge Base:
- Maturity ratings
- Accessing Adult land and content
- Age verification parcel and estate management features
- Maturity ratings and search
|Important: The information here is not intended to cover every possible situation or question. Linden Lab reserves the right to review individual cases and make determinations based on specific circumstances in line with general policies.|
Frequently asked questions
What does "advertises or publicly promotes" mean?
The maturity ratings distinguish between publicly-promoted adult content, required to be on Adult regions, and non-public adult content, such as private homes with a sex bed, that can be located on Moderate land.
Adult activities cannot be advertised or publicly promoted on Moderate land. Such activity must occur privately, behind closed doors on Moderate land (see below), and is forbidden on General land. These restrictions apply regardless of whether the parcel has hidden avatars.
Advertising for SL search using adult words clearly requires being on Adult land. Other examples of advertising or publicly-promoting include renting signs inworld, listing on events, buying ads in newspapers, or distributing flyers or notecards to passersby.
Private invitations to friends are not considered advertising or promoting. Inviting everyone in a small private group that you control is not considered advertising. However, inviting everyone in a public group can be considered a promotional effort.
What does "behind closed doors" mean?
Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. This means:
- Allow only a group or specific individuals access to the parcel. If it is group-access only, the group must not be freely open to join.
- Hide avatars (turn off avatar visibility) for the parcel.
- Enclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers.
Can a parcel be not entirely Adult?
There are several ways a parcel can be partly Adult and partly Moderate:
- Mixed content in a public area: for example, a store that sells a variety of items, some of which are adult in nature, but those are not advertised explicitly or provided for public adult usage on the parcel. This would require a Moderate rating.
- Mixed public and private use of a parcel: for example, a store at ground level which only sells non-adult items, and a private skybox above with restricted access (as described above), which contains sex furniture. The landing point is at the ground level store only. This would require a Moderate rating.
- Mixed use by time: for example, a parcel that is normally a private residence, but occasionally advertises an adult event. This would require an Adult rating. If on Moderate land, the event must not be advertised and must be kept behind closed doors.
Is simple nudity without sex Adult?
Depending on context, nudity may not require an Adult rating. For example all of the following could be rated Moderate:
- A nude beach without sexual activity.
- Skin vendors showing a nude skin to display the product.
- Nude art that is not sexual.
- Strip clubs that do not use adult words in search or host sex furniture.
Depending on the context, exposed genitalia may not be considered Adult. For example:
- Hanging out at a nude beach would be fine.
- Walking around pants-less on the mainland could be inappropriate.
Non-sexualized depictions of nudity are Moderate NOT Adult.
What about strip clubs?
Strip clubs in general are Moderate. However, they are Adult if they:
- Use adult keywords in listings and in search.
- Have sex balls and backroom sex areas.
What words are filtered in search?
We do not provide a full list of filtered adult words. However, anyone can test individual words on the Second Life Search page or with inworld search. Certain words are always filtered, regardless of maturity setting; additional words are filtered when the adult checkbox is not selected.
Are child avatars allowed on Adult regions?
Yes, child avatars are allowed in Adult regions, as long as they are controlled by a person who has verified themselves to be at least 18 years old. However, the avatar should not be in proximity to sexual content or activity; and must obey the policy prohibiting sexual ageplay.
Since Adult regions by design will often contain sexual content, child avatars should use caution in visiting Adult regions.