Linden Lab Official:Death and other worries outside Second Life
- 1 How do I bequeath my Second Life account and its assets in the event of my real life death?
- 2 I need to notify Linden Lab of the real life death of a Resident; what documentation does Linden Lab need?
- 3 If I die in real life, can you let my Second Life friends know?
- 4 Can I get account information on someone I am worried about?
- 5 If I have been bequeathed a Second Life account, how do I arrange the transfer?
How do I bequeath my Second Life account and its assets in the event of my real life death?
In your will, you must include the legal (real life) name of the person who you want to inherit your Second Life account and assets in the event of your death.
Pursuant to Section 4.1 of our Terms of Service:
You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.
I need to notify Linden Lab of the real life death of a Resident; what documentation does Linden Lab need?
The Second Life support team requires the death certificate and may require other additional testamentary letters or orders, as may be required by law. Additional verification of any party's identity, including the deceased, may also be required.
In general, the team requires:
- Copy of the death certificate
- Copy of the will
- Copy of a government-issued ID sufficient to identify you
- Testamentary letter or other appropriate order (as appropriate)
If I die in real life, can you let my Second Life friends know?
Maybe. Linden Lab can only act on instructions that are part of a legally-recognized document such as a valid will. You would have to specify in your will that you want this action performed (for example, notifying everyone in your friends list), and we would need a copy of the will and any other verifying documents we deem necessary.
Can I get account information on someone I am worried about?
- Befrienders is a worldwide volunteer-based organization that, in its own words, works to "provide help to those in need of emotional support, in order to reduce the number of people who die by suicide, and enable people to explore their feelings in an anonymous, confidential and non-judgmental environment."
- Befrienders also maintains an extensive list of suicide-prevention hotlines organized by country.
If I have been bequeathed a Second Life account, how do I arrange the transfer?
If you have not already been contacted by the Second Life support team in accordance with the deceased person's will and other verifying documents, please submit a support case at the Support Portal. Choose these categories:
- What type of problem are you having?
- Account Issue
- Account Issue
- Change Account Details
Fill out the rest of the form to the best of your knowledge. We are sorry for your loss and wish you the best during this difficult time.
Last Updated: February 12, 2016