Make a movie in SL
HOW TO: MAKE A MOVIE IN SECOND LIFE
Key words: captures movies mpegs mpgs avis divxs wmvs machinima mpeg4s mpg4s
Before you begin you will need the following:
- Windows Media 8.0 and 9.0 codecs (if you don't already have them). You can find these at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...cdownload.aspx.
- Video editing software
1. Change your screen resolution to as small as possible.
- Right-click on your Windows desktop.
- Choose Properties, then Settings.
- Choose 800 by 600 pixels.
- Click Apply, then OK.
2. Log into Second Life
3. Turn on the Debug menu.
- Press Ctrl-Alt-D. Debug should appear to the right of Help in the main menu.
4. Set your movie resolution.
- From the menu, select Debug/Set 320x240 Windowed.
- IMPORTANT: your Second Life window will be reduced significantly.
- During filming, you must leave the SL window at this size on your screen.
5. Hide the User Interface.
- Click Ctrl-Alt-1 to hide the UI so that it won't appear in your movie.
6. Start your movie.
- Click Ctrl-Shift-A to start the movie (this command also stops filming).
7. Pick a place to save your movie.
- IMPORTANT: select or create a folder NOT on your desktop, for example, any folder on your C drive will work.
- Once you have your folder selected, click Open.
- Click Save.
8. Choose video compression.
- Select Full Frames/Uncompressed.
- IMPORTANT: this will generate a large uncompressed video file - about 1 GB per minute, which you will need to compress during or after editing.
- Select Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec.
- Click OK. Filming beings.
9. Capture your raw footage.
- To stop filming, Click Ctrl-Shift-A.
10. Edit your movie using your choice of video editing application.
contributor: -Char Linden