Marketplace/Get started selling
How do I start selling stuff on the Marketplace?
There are four basic steps explained further below:
- Create a store - Accept the Marketplace Terms of Service and create your store.
- List your products - Set up a Magic Box and list your products.
- Preview your store - See your store as your customers will see it.
- Promote yourself - Use the onsite "Featured Items" ads and other tools to attract customers.
Create a store
Before you get started
Are you a brand-new merchant? You can dive right in and create a store in just a couple of steps; however, if you're brand new to selling in Second Life, there there are a few things you should know and some preparations you'll want to make.
- Make sure your store name is unique! Establishing a brand is important, so it's a good idea to search the Marketplace before you start, to see if someone else is already using the name you have in mind.
- Read the Fee and Listing Policies to be sure your products and listings will meet Linden Lab requirements.
- Get your products ready inworld. Currently, that includes putting them in a "Magic Box". Magic Boxes will eventually be obsolete, at which point products will need to be moved from the Magic Box to a to-be-determined special folder in your inventory.
- Have your store information and graphics handy (logo, banner, store policies, inworld and out-of-world links, etc.) and make sure they meet the requirements.
Accept the Terms of Service and create your store
|Important: Make sure to do this first or you can't list your items (as explained further down the page)!|
Now, you can create a web storefront. This may be in addition to an inworld store you already have setup (and there are ways to connect the two).
- On any Marketplace page, click My Marketplace in the upper-right and click Create a Store.
- If you've never done this before, you'll be asked to agree to the Marketplace Terms of Service. Read it carefully so you're aware of what you're agreeing to, then scroll down to the bottom and click Accept.
How do I edit my store info?
List your products
Preview your store
So you've listed at least one item and set up your store info... you are awesome. Bask in the glow, then preview your store for all to behold (that almost rhymes):
- Go back to My Marketplace > My Store (which you should be familiar with now... wash, rinse, repeat).
- On the left-hand side, click View my Store. This is how your customers see it — but it also helps to browse the Marketplace as an alt to really walk in your customers' shoes.
|Important: To see items in your store that you have listed as Mature or Adult content, make sure you have the Include Mature Content checkbox selected when you search!|
Now that you have a store well-stocked with items, what's next? You need to get some eager shoppers looking at and buying your wares!
|Important: The new advertising system is currently in Beta, and may or may not continue after the end of the Beta period!|