Mesh/Uploading a simple mesh
From Second Life Wiki
First we'll need to download a COLLADA model file to your computer:
- Download duck.dae from https://collada.org/owl/download.php?sess=0&parent=126&expand=1&order=name&curview=0&binary=1&id=698
Next we will upload the model to Second Life:
- Open the Build menu, choose Upload, click 'Model...'
- Alternately, open the Inventory, click the + menu button and Upload > "Model"
- A file dialog box will open
- Pick the duck.dae file from your computer.
- The Import Model window will appear.
- Click the 'Generate LOD' button at the top of this window.
- The viewer will take a moment to process this, then the Upload button will become clickable.
- Click the 'Upload' button.
- You will see 2 assets inserted into your Inventory. One will appear in the Meshes folder and one will appear in the Objects folder. We only care about the Object right now.
- Drag the new object from your Objects folder onto the ground.
- A duck model will appear on the ground. You can use the duck mesh as you would any other object. Scale it, texture it, attach it, script it, whatever you like.
If you would like to learn more, here is an Autodesk Maya mesh to Second Life video tutorial on the subject by Sand Castle Sudios: