Official Information and Policies Portal:Last Names Contest
Second Life’s Last Names Contest Official Rules and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
The Second Life’s Last Names Contest (the “Contest”) is organized by Linden Research, Inc., (identified in more detail in Section 11 herein) (the “Sponsor” or “Linden Lab”).
1. DURATION. The Contest begins at 12 noon Pacific Standard Time on December 16, 2019 (the “Start Date”) and ends at 3:00pm Pacific Standard Time on January 6, 2020 (the “Deadline”).
2. ENTRY. You must have an active Second Life® account to participate in the Contest.
Linden Lab is looking for suggested names to be used in our forthcoming Changing Names feature. To enter the Contest, fill out the official suggestion form with your Last Name suggestion.
NOTE: Suggested names for consideration can not be among those used previously. See a list of excluded names [here]. All suggestions must also include the participant’s Second Life account username and active email address.
Suggestion submissions that comply with the above guidelines will be referred to as “Entries.” Entries that do not conform to these Official Rules and Conditions will not be accepted.
Entries generated by any means that violate Linden Lab’s Terms of Service are void. Uploading an Entry constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submission in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries; all of which will be void.
A. To be eligible to enter the Contest, as of the time you submit your Entry, you must:
1. Be at least eighteen (18) years of age. If you are a minor in your jurisdiction (but in no event shall you be under sixteen (16) years of age), you must provide the Entry as set forth under Section 1 (above) with your legal guardian’s approval and you must provide written approval of your entry to the Contest, and consent to these Official Rules and Conditions by your legal guardian. This written approval shall be provided within fourteen (14) days from your receipt of such request by the Sponsor; 2. Have a Second Life® account, an email account, and access to a personal or tablet computer; and 3. Be a legal Second Life Resident.
Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prizes).
B. Employees of the Sponsor and/or its subsidiaries, agents, or affiliates, and any family members and/or household members of these employees, are not eligible to enter the Contest.
4. SELECTION OF WINNING ENTRIES.
A. Determination of Winners. The winners will be determined as follows:
- Eligible Entries will be judged by Linden Lab representatives, according to the criteria set forth below, whose decision is final and binding in all respects.
- The Linden Lab representative will rate each Entry on a scale between 1 and 100. Criteria will be based on variables that include creativity, originality and other criteria at the sole discretion of the judges.
- The entrants whose Entries receives the most points shall be the “Winners”.
- In the unlikely event of a tie, Sponsor’s representatives shall break the tie in their sole discretion. In the event that an entry identical to the winning entry was submitted by more than one entrant, the first submission received will be considered the winner.
B. Notification to Winners. The Winners will be notified by email.
C. Any and all decisions of the Sponsor’s representatives, including those of the judges, shall be final and binding in all respects.
A.Description of Prizes. One free Last Names change (estimated value at US$39.99 plus $11.99 to represent the value of a month of Premium Membership) on an account of Winner’s choice.
B. Estimated Total Prize package value: US$51.98. Exact value dependent on account status.
C. Winners will be contacted via email. If the Winner does not respond within one week of the prize announcement, refuses the prize or is ineligible to accept the prize, the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. All prizes claimed in accordance with the Official Rules will be awarded.
D. No substitutions of the prizes for cash or other goods and services is permitted by the Winners. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal value for any reason.
E. All federal, state, local and or other applicable taxes, licenses, title and/or registration fees or other costs, associated with winning a prize are the sole responsibility of the Winners. The Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, shall not be responsible for any such taxes, fees and costs.
F. Except where legally prohibited, by participating in the Contest, the Winners hereby give Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies full permission, right and authority to use their likeness, photograph, name, hometown, and Entries, or any other information that they provide about themselves, the prize, the Contest, or Second Life, for the purposes of advertising and promotion (in any media, including but not limited to in print media, television, film, video, radio, internet or otherwise) related to the Contest, Second Life or the Sponsor, without any further notification or compensation to you other than that set out herein. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Winners will be given an opportunity to decline inclusion in such advertising and promotions without affecting their eligibility to receive the prizes.
G. Winners may be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and, except where prohibited, Liability/Publicity Release, in the form provided by Sponsor, within seven (7) days of attempted notification in order to claim prizes. Minors (anyone under age 18) are not eligible to enter or win this contest.
H. Any prize details not specified herein shall be determined solely by the Sponsor.
I. No more than one (1) prize per person, e-mail address, or physical address.
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS.
A. You represent and warrant that your Entry is:
- Your own original work and that it does not violate any intellectual property rights or any other rights of any third party (including, without limitation, any privacy, publicity or publishing rights); and
- Not libelous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law. Use of obscenities, racist, sexist, hateful or other material or depictions that, in Sponsor's sole judgment, are inappropriate or offensive will disqualify an Entry.
B. You agree to:
- Be contacted by Sponsor or its agents by private message and/or email; and
- Sign any requested documentation set forth in Section 5 herein (and have your parent or guardian sign such documentation where applicable or requested by Sponsor), including, without limitation an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release, in the event that your Entry is a winning Entry.
C. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
D. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of California.
E. Neither Sponsor nor any of its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, are responsible for lost, interrupted, or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or computer transmissions, or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic or for phone, electrical, network, computer hardware or software program malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or for ISP/network/Web site accessibility or unavailability, any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human errors; technical malfunctions; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entries; typographical, printing or other errors.
F. Illegible, incomplete, duplicate and mechanically reproduced Entries will be disqualified.
G. False, fraudulent or deceptive Entries or acts shall render Participants ineligible.
H. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Contest, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified.
I. If disqualified for any tampering or abuses, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate Participant's eligibility to participate in this Contest or any other Contest run by Sponsor.
J. In the event any portion of this Contest is compromised by virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at their sole discretion to suspend or terminate the Contest, and select a Winner from Entries received prior to the action taken.
K. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the Rules are final.
7. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY.
A. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible Entries or Entries that are lost due to computer, Internet, or electronic malfunction.
B. By entering this contest, you agree that Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, shall not be liable for personal injuries, death, damages, expenses or costs or losses of any kind resulting from participation or inability to participate in this Contest or acceptance of or use or inability to use a prize or parts thereof including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
C. Winners release the Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and its directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns from any and all liability and responsibility with respect to a prize (including any property loss, damage, personal injury or death).
D. For residents of the EU: The provisions of B and C of this Section do not apply to claims against Sponsor, its representatives and its vicarious agents for damages because of personal injury or death, and to claims for damages in case of intent or gross negligence by Sponsor, its representatives or vicarious agents. In such circumstances, the release will apply to the fullest extent permitted by law.
E. Winners acknowledge that Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, have neither made nor are in any manner responsible for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, related to a prize.
B. Any personal data you submit in association with this Contest will be stored on a server in the United States of America. Entry into the Contest constitutes your acknowledgement to the storage of your personal data in the United States of America and its use there for the purposes of administering this Contest and associated processing (e.g., but not limited to back-up, archiving). This server is controlled by the Sponsor who is not a participant in the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor Framework. Your personal data will be stored on these servers and used for the purposes of administering this Contest and associated processing of Entries.
C. By entering this Contest, you (or, on behalf of a minor entrant, your parent or guardian) agree that your personal information may be collected, used, by Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, for the sole purpose of conducting, administering, and fulfilling the Contest, including, without limitation notifying you if you are chosen as the potential Winner and for prize delivery.
D. For Residents of France Only: Pursuant to French law pertaining to data collection and processing, you have a right of access to, modification and withdrawal of your personal data. You also have the right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The data controller is Sponsor. The recipient of your personal data is the Sponsor. Your data will be transferred outside the European Union.
E. For Residents of Germany Only: Pursuant to the German Federal Data Protection Act, you have a right to information about the personal data stored about you, including its origin, recipient or categories of recipients of the data and the purpose of the storage. In addition, you have the right of correction and, in certain circumstances, to disabling and deletion of your data and, in certain circumstances, the right to object to the collection, processing and use of your personal data. To exercise such right, you may write to: email@example.com.
F. For Residents of United Kingdom Only: Entrants have the right to access, withdraw, and correct their personal data. Entrants may request such action by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
G. If allowed under applicable law, you may exercise your right to access and modify the personal information about you stored by Sponsor by writing to email@example.com, and detailing your request.
9. WINNER LIST. The Winners' name and/or usernames may be posted on the official Second Life site, Second Life community forum and/or Facebook page. After December 9, 2019, the Winners’ usernames can also be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to Linden Research, Inc., ATTN: Community, 945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111. Do not send Entries or other correspondence to this address.
10. SEVERABILITY. In the event any Provision of these Official Rules and Conditions prove unenforceable, void or incomplete, the validity of the other conditions will remain unaffected.
11. SPONSOR. This contest is sponsored by Linden Research, Inc., 945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111.