This wiki is for collaboration between Linden Lab and our Second Life Residents. Linden Lab can't review every submission, but reserves the right to remove unsuitable content at any time. Linden Lab provides this wiki as a service to numerous communities, including those represented by the portals on the Main Page. New portals are added at Linden Lab's discretion.
Please note: The majority of this wiki's content (like SL itself) is Resident-created and while it may be helpful, unless stated otherwise by an employee of Linden Lab, we can't vouch for its accuracy. For our official documentation on how to use Second Life, please see the Knowledge Base.
Point of view
Articles in the main namespace should be written in the third person. The page history will contain the complete contribution history, so there's no need to sign articles. A generally neutral point of view should be adopted, with the caveat that this is for people wanting to help build Second Life, not for general complaints about Second Life as a service or of Linden Lab as a company. Criticism of the service which supports feature request or proposal is acceptable (e.g. "Here's problem X. Implementing Y will solve X."), but general complaints which only serve to discourage use of Second Life should be taken elsewhere.
New page creation
When creating a new page:
- Use the simplest, most obvious name possible when creating new pages. You can always create a redirect and/or disambiguation page later if needed.
- Help prevent wiki sprawl by editing existing pages rather than creating new pages when possible.
- When a page is aimed at a specific audience, please include a brief introduction for people who aren't familiar with the content, or link to where to find further information.
Read the Quickie Wiki Intro for how to create new pages.
This wiki has a "Project:" namespace. However, that should be reserved for meta information about this wiki itself. On most MediaWiki installs, the "Project:" namespace is equal to the name of the wiki itself, but it's unset on this wiki, thus "Project:" is the sole way of getting to that namespace. The things that go into the "Project:" namespace should be limited to those things that are about editing policy or otherwise about this wiki, rather than about Second Life.
- Use inclusion templates to ensure consistent navigation
- Full list of existing templates