SL Cert - Basic Mentoring
SL Certification "Second Life Mentoring - Basic Level"
The idea here is codify not just what helpers need to know technically, but also what they need to know to communicate the information.
People and organizations who want to help others.
Must be at least six months in Second Life.
Describe the skills and knowledge necessary to mentor competently and effectively at a basic level.
These are my initial suggestions of what a new resident needs to know. That means this is what a helper should be qualified to teach. Please comment.
- Communication Skillset
- Leaving the ego at the door: understanding the necessity of focusing on the person being helped.
- Know how to present yourself
- Know the terms of service and community standards
- Know how to deal with children on the adult grid
- Understand that mentors are not police and are no better than anyone else
- Know the definition of PG, Adult, and Mature sims
- Be familiar with Second Life acronyms (see Acronyms)
- Know the resources
- Know how to effectively communicate with people from other cultures
- Describing things accurately: techniques for describing procedures
- Know your limits: realizing how many people you can help at one time
- Know the steps for dealing with misbehaving new residents
- Knowing when to file an abuse report
- Know how to describe the Report Abuse interface accurately and efficiently
- Announcing who you are and why you're there: goals and methods
- Technical Skillset
- Using the Mini-Map
- Using the Map - Where am I?
- Using Search - Where is that?
- Using Landmarks - How do I get there again?
- Inventory - I can have stuff!
- Appearance - I can change how I look!
- Kinds of clothing
- Wearing an item of clothing
- Creating an outfit
- Wearing an outfit
- Organizing what you have - How do I find things quickly?
- What is it?
- Is it necessary?
- How much can I have?
- How do I get it?
- Purchasing things with or without money
- Organizing what you've purchased
- Chatting with people nearby
- Friends list
- Chatting with one person privately
- Chatting with many people privately - Conference chat
- Groups - people of a feather
- Finding a group
- Joining a group (various methods)
- Chatting with many people - Group chat
- Know the basic Macintosh shortcuts (see Technical issues with Mac OS X#Using Second Life under Mac OS X )
- Know how to switch the language of the user interface
- Know how to manipulate the profile
- Know what to do with the Preferences