Second Life 6th Birthday
June 23 — June 29, 2009
On June 23, 2009, Second Life turns 6 years old. Hey! This is your second half-decade! Now you're *so* much more sophisticated than 5, but still hovering near the oven, anxious to devour the cake, and wondering what 6 has in store for you. Or, for that matter, what about 7? 10? 15? Where do the years go, anyway?
Since you're never content with things as they are, your challenge is to show how you intend to make things in 5, 10 or 100 years. The Birthday theme this year is The Future of Virtual Worlds and we're betting you have some pretty awesome visions to share of the future you're building here. How will Virtual Worlds work? How will they look? How will they be part of everyday life? How will we learn, socialize and evolve in them? How will they affect your beliefs, and be affected by your actions?
Got an idea? Want to participate? Great! Once again, Linden Lab has set aside 20 regions for the Birthday celebration, and Resident organizers are busy carving it into parcels where you can build and share your particular future. The event infrastructure is nearly complete, and we think it will inspire you to great "heights". It's a little dark, and a little shiny. It's a little inspiring, and a little dystopian. It's decidedly 3- dimensional. Think in light. Think in concept. Look up. Look under. Look in and listen closely.
What you'll need to do: Read about the event policies (below), and apply for a plot of land by filling out the application form. We have limited space to give away, so put some good thought into describing your exhibit idea in an interesting and forward-looking manner so we feel compelled to squeeze you in! Applications will be taken for 2 weeks.
In order to accommodate as many people as possible, we aren't giving away any huge chunks of land or mountains of prims this year. Plot sizes are: 512 m2 (117 prims), 1024 m2 (234 prims) or 2048 m2 (468 prims). Got a cool idea but no time or will to build? This year we have small booths (15 prims) for those who just want to display images, signs, concepts or a simple object. Concept can be king!
We will be accepting your applications until May 20, will review them the week after that, and hope to have announcements going out to accepted exhibitors by June 1. You will have a full 2 or 3 weeks on-site to build. The event will open June 23, and officially run for a week, (though we will keep the gates open for a week beyond that so that plenty of people can come by for a visit).
In order to ensure a comfortable experience for every Resident, the whole of the event will be accessible to general audiences. The Second Life 6th Birthday Celebration takes place on the main Second Life Grid and is a PG event for Adults 18 years and older. The definition of PG within Second Life can be found here. Exhibitors may provide landmarks to Mature regions, provided they are properly marked as Mature.
The current definition is: "A Region may be designated PG so long as it does not advertise or make available any content that is suggestive of any (even mildly) sexual or violent themes, or references to social drug or alcohol usage."
This event's rating means the following are in effect throughout the event. This applies across the spectrum, from streaming media, avatar representation, exhibitor material and to conduct while in attendance or exhibiting.
* No depictions or incidents of violence or gore. * No depictions or incidents portraying sexual activity or sexual suggestion. * No depictions or incidents explicitly advocating or suggesting drug or alcohol use. * No nudity.
Linden Lab and the Resident Organizers reserve the right to determine when an edge case is no longer PG.
* No megaprims are allowed at Linden-Sponsored Events. * No sales - freebies are okay as are landmarks to external areas. * No hate-oriented material. * No copyright or trademark infringement (includes real life or virtual name brands, logos, sounds or graphics that aren't owned by exhibitor.) * Prim limits are according to plot size requested and will be enforced. * 1 Exhibit per resident/group * Landmarks, Web content or Links provided must be relevant to the exhibit or exhibitor. * We expect every exhibitor and attendee to adhere to the standard Second Life Terms of Service.
- May 6- Applications open
- May 20- Applications closed
- May 21- Applications review begins
- June 1- Accepted Exhibitors notified
- June 2- Building may begin
- June 21- Tech Rehearsal, complete builds
- June 23- Gates open!
- June 29- Official closing ceremony
- July 6- Gates close
Administration, Project Management
- Linden Lab Liaison, Dusty Linden
- Lead Resident Organizer, Phaylen Fairchild
- Lead Architect, Prad Prathivi
- Lead Scripter, Brunswick Warburten
- Hunt Scripter, Gypsy Paz
- Sim Coordinators
- Toxic Menges
- Poid Mahovlich
- Kit Maitland
- Baker, Vivianne OFlynn
- Rrishanna Regina
- Allatu Augustus
- Poid Mahovlich
- Live Performance Stage Lead, Glimmer Silverstar
- DJ Stages Lead, Jewelkicker Spearmann
- Gage Goodliffe
- Publicity, Catherine Linden
- Publicity, Blondin Linden
If you would like to keep informed, please join the group "Second Life Birthday" in-world. That will be our primary means of internal communication with the community. Externally, please keep watching the blog for news updates, and this wiki as an information repository.