Simulator User Group/Transcripts/2012.03.09

From Second Life Wiki
< Simulator User Group
Revision as of 08:18, 12 March 2012 by Andrew Linden (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.03.06 Next 2012.03.13

List of Speakers

Andrew Linden Arawn Spitteler Ardy Lay
Davido Chrome Draconis Neurocam DrFran Babcock
Flip Idlemind Gfresh Botha Johan Laurasia
Kaluura Boa Kelly Linden Kennylex Luckless
MartinRJ Fayray Nalates Urriah Rex Cronon
RobsterRawb Jaxxon Sahkolihaa Contepomi Siana Gearz
Simon Linden Sniper Siemens Sooden Ren
TankMaster Finesmith Vincent Nacon

Transcript

[16:03] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Hey Andrew.

[16:03] Sniper Siemens: hi Andrew

[16:03] Andrew Linden: Hello

[16:03] Vincent Nacon: heya

[16:03] Simon Linden: ... but that may change, depending on how the weekend goes. Kelly and I have been chasing any annoying bug all day

[16:04] Rex Cronon: greetings everybody

[16:04] Vincent Nacon: you may need to stand closer to sit

[16:04] Kaluura Boa: Good morning...

[16:04] Johan Laurasia: Hey Rex

[16:04] Simon Linden: There isn't much scheduled for the RC channels on Wednesday either. We hit a lull in the code pipeline

[16:04] Rex Cronon: hey johan

[16:04] Vincent Nacon: I think something is causing the issue with another prim here

[16:06] Simon Linden: There was a blog post recently about the Linden Realms features ... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Advanced-Experience-Tools-Preview/ba-p/1420633

[16:06] Nalates Urriah: Nice video

[16:06] Andrew Linden: I don't have any news, unfortunately. I've been working on the pathfinding stuff and haven't been able to get to any of the side projects.

[16:06] Simon Linden: That's all I have ... Kelly, do you have anything?

[16:07] Johan Laurasia: I"ve been having issues rezzing on the path sims

[16:07] Johan Laurasia: I can create

[16:07] Johan Laurasia: but not rez anything from inventory, or drop scripts into objects

[16:08] Andrew Linden: Johan, that was happening today?

[16:08] Johan Laurasia: no, last few times I logged in, I think the last time was about 2 days ago

[16:08] Kelly Linden: I don't have any news.

[16:08] Johan Laurasia: I'll check after the meeting, if it's still happening I can file a jira

[16:09] Andrew Linden: sure Johan, that would be great.

[16:09] Nalates Urriah: I haven't been able to rez to last ADITI location. But, tht was a couple days since I tried.

[16:09] Andrew Linden: Be sure to list the time and region name.

[16:09] Flip Idlemind: I liked the Experience video but it left me with a question. (Well several, but here's one) Near the end it said to join the "Advanced Creator Notifications" group (or something like that.) I'm already in that group, and I thought it was a "closed beta". Has that plan changed? (AKA, do I still get to beta test the toys early?)

[16:09] Johan Laurasia: will do

[16:10] Nalates Urriah: We have a JIRA on that problem Johan

[16:10] Andrew Linden: you know the number Nalates?

[16:10] Davido Chrome: I have the same question as FLIP.

[16:10] Nalates Urriah: look now

[16:10] Simon Linden: I suspect that's just terminology, Flip

[16:10] Siana Gearz: haaa, can't quite sit.

[16:11] Siana Gearz: how do you people sit on these.

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: yeah can't figure out why it's acting like that

[16:11] Johan Laurasia: it's hit/miss Siana

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: but try standing closer

[16:11] Nalates Urriah: SVC-7727

[16:11] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7727

[#SVC-7727] Aditi grid problem. After changing my password to cause my inventory on Aditi to update, my inventory no longer saves changes made to it from session to session.

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: right at the tip of the top

[16:12] Simon Linden: On the forums, someone was asking the same question and Mercille Linden said she has Charlar's list

[16:12] Nalates Urriah: It has the can't rez to last location in it tooo

[16:12] Johan Laurasia: Yeah, I did update my password recently to trigger the beta grid to update.

[16:12] Ardy Lay: I seem to be sitting near it instead of on it.

[16:12] Vincent Nacon: sculpty prims may be causing the issue because of the boundary zone

[16:12] Simon Linden: The last message at: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Simulator-Discussions/What-now/td-p/1413379

[16:12] Simon Linden: So if you signed up with Charlar, I believe you're good

[16:12] Nalates Urriah: Johan, give it 48 hours, clear your cache and try again. That fixed inventory prob for a couple of us

[16:12] Andrew Linden: Ah I see, not a pathfinding bug, but an general aditi problem

[16:13] Arawn Spitteler: Could you be setting the password, without a last location to update to?

[16:13] Davido Chrome: Ooh, thanks. Hadn't seen that last post.

[16:14] Johan Laurasia: Will do Nal

[16:14] Simon Linden: I think that's it for news, so the invisible-table is open for topics

[16:14] Vincent Nacon: I found it a bit silly that you guys were kinda freaking out about the group like as if you're not gonna see any action from it

[16:15] Davido Chrome: The invisible table is on fire...

[16:15] Vincent Nacon: table was useless, we had to burn it

[16:15] Vincent Nacon: :P

[16:15] Davido Chrome: We're enthusiastic! :D

[16:16] Vincent Nacon: alrighty then... no topic?

[16:16] Simon Linden: Looks like a quiet group today

[16:17] Vincent Nacon: ok... let's complain about.... hmm

[16:17] Davido Chrome: I had a few, trying to bring them into order in my head.

[16:17] Rex Cronon: maybe because is friday?

[16:17] Vincent Nacon: collision stuff?

[16:17] Johan Laurasia: Maybe Andrew could lead us off in a round of kumbaya my lord

[16:17] Arawn Spitteler: Is Rush Limbaugh really the most important issue before Congress?

[16:18] Flip Idlemind: Well I was once told that if there's not a JIRA for it, it doesn't exist. So, here are the JIRA versions of a couple ideas I had last week

[16:18] Flip Idlemind: SVC-7742, SVC-7743

[16:18] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7742

[#SVC-7742] Per-Parcel Avatar Limits

[16:18] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7743

[#SVC-7743] Better Administrative Control over who can Speak on Voice

[16:18] Nalates Urriah: Did we find a place to discuss Pathfinding?

[16:18] Davido Chrome: Oh, yeah. Inbetween sim update visual lag.

[16:18] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: smh rush

[16:18] Davido Chrome: Also, a question about how material settings affect lag.

[16:19] Davido Chrome: For surfaces for vehicles to ride on.

[16:19] Siana Gearz: ah simon, what's the exact purpose of your repo? interesting things in there. :P

[16:19] Andrew Linden: SVC-7743 would be nice to have for parcel owners and estate managers, I think.

[16:20] Vincent Nacon: I think we picked out too many topic at the moment

[16:20] Simon Linden: Siana - do you mean the viewmaster viewer code?

[16:20] Siana Gearz: it's always so confusing to keep track whose commits go where.

[16:20] Siana Gearz: yes.

[16:20] Vincent Nacon: let's start with Andrew's

[16:20] Andrew Linden: Although I'm thinking it would be nice to have some sort of "disabled voice" feedback, so that it doesn't get reported as a "voice is not working" bug.

[16:21] Simon Linden: That's where some of our bug fixing efforts are going

[16:21] Andrew Linden: That is, when people are muted we make it clear why their voice is failing.

[16:21] Simon Linden: My name is attached because I was volunteered to create the new branch

[16:21] Siana Gearz: is it OK to take code from there under my responsibility or is it for testing and poking you back only?

[16:22] Siana Gearz: (we only have a small userbase and we nonetheless do our own QA)

[16:23] Simon Linden: You're welcome to grab what you want, but it's direct from the developers and hasn't had any QA yet

[16:23] Siana Gearz: thanks

[16:23] Andrew Linden: What is the "viewmaster" project? This is the first I've heard of it.

[16:24] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: It's being used for MAINT JIRAs, by the looks of it.

[16:24] Simon Linden: It's just a branch of the viewer -- we're shifting around the code process a bit. It's actually becoming a bit more like the server

[16:24] TankMaster Finesmith: its siomon's bitbuckt repo with a lot of rendering oand crash fixes

[16:24] Andrew Linden: ah

[16:24] TankMaster Finesmith: Oz just posteed a link to the new process, lemme find it

[16:25] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: I'm using it now, although Runitai said the build farms are falling over at the moment.

[16:25] TankMaster Finesmith: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Integration_and_Release_Processes

[16:25] Simon Linden: The old viewer development method had a "dirty trunk" techinque ... code gets checked into the main branch, then it's tested and fixed up for release

[16:25] Simon Linden: That can cause problems if anyone pulls bugs from that before it's ready

[16:25] TankMaster Finesmith: yeah

[16:25] Vincent Nacon: nice chart

[16:26] TankMaster Finesmith: weve been notified that its not wise to pull from that repo anymore for TPV development

[16:26] Simon Linden: Development is switching to a "clean trunk" model where work is done in a branch, it's tested and passed, then pushed into the main repository

[16:26] Simon Linden: So the main repository should have the most recent good code in it, and it's much safer to pull and branch from it

[16:26] Vincent Nacon: it's gonna blow someone's mind

[16:26] TankMaster Finesmith: this new way, whole more of a pain for TP developrts, is probably a better whay of doing things in the long run

[16:27] Ardy Lay: Lots of crazy-huge bounding boxes here making sitting without set targets difficult.

[16:27] Vincent Nacon: yup

[16:27] Vincent Nacon: mostly cause of sculpty prims

[16:27] Rex Cronon: not meshes?

[16:27] Simon Linden: You'll have more choice on what you want, I guess. If you want to play it safe, just pull from the lindenlab/viewer-development branch (I think that's the one)

[16:27] Vincent Nacon: it's the sculpty fence that Simon have around the platform here

[16:28] Simon Linden: If you want to live on the edge, you can get it from viewmaster or other places where development happens

[16:28] Simon Linden: oh, is the fence causing problems?

[16:28] Rex Cronon: that fence was for a long time around here. there were no problems sitting at the table

[16:28] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Yay, ran out of VRAM.

[16:28] TankMaster Finesmith: get more vram

[16:28] Vincent Nacon: table had their own sit target

[16:28] Ardy Lay: I'd have to do some work to determine which prim(s) to blame.

[16:28] Vincent Nacon: these does not

[16:29] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Give me new GPU then.

[16:29] Vincent Nacon: it's the sculpty fence

[16:29] TankMaster Finesmith: :D

[16:29] Johan Laurasia: I just upgraded to a GTX 570 recently....

[16:29] Vincent Nacon: they're also the reason why you can't rez an object on the floor, just appear in air, about 0.5m off the floor

[16:29] Arawn Spitteler: New CPU is only U$25, if you buy used.

[16:30] Davido Chrome: Is that what happens when you suddenly get .5 FPS and the whole damn computer lags. Including typing chat? Out of VRAM?

[16:30] Rex Cronon: i can seat just fine

[16:30] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is half over

[16:31] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Davido - yeah, that usually means the driver is swapping out from VRAM.

[16:31] Siana Gearz: tank, it's not even real vram that koli is running out of. it's the maximum amount that can be mapped between GPU and CPU, which is basically fixed per generation of GPUs and driver, not dependent on the specific amount of VRAM.

[16:31] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: System RAM is much, MUCH slower than video RAM.

[16:31] Davido Chrome: Koli, Oh well, at least a relog fixes it.

[16:31] Sooden Ren: i hear no music :( i am not amused !

[16:31] Siana Gearz: and we'd rather NOT leak and fragment it, which is what seems to be going on now.

[16:32] Sooden Ren: (afk to get tunes)

[16:33] Davido Chrome: I have a LR tools question. Will the portals have a way to define exit velocity and direction?

[16:33] Ardy Lay: Speedy thing goes in: Speedy thing comes out?

[16:33] Davido Chrome: Yup. :)

[16:34] Sooden Ren: i forgot what this metting was about... sim somthing

[16:34] TankMaster Finesmith: simulator

[16:34] Simon Linden: I don't think so, Alve ... I believe those basically do a teleport

[16:34] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: when a sim restarts is there anything that perhaps trys to locate that sim to that of the server on the adjacent?

[16:34] Andrew Linden: I don't think the portals have that capability yet, but I'm just guessing.

[16:34] Simon Linden: ... but I'm guessing

[16:35] Andrew Linden: Yes RobsterRawb, the region will try to discover and connect to its neighbor

[16:35] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: yay

[16:35] Sooden Ren: i have a bery imporant poinmt thing to make! let me knoe when i ccan speak *and work though my tpos

[16:35] Gfresh Botha: I have a question about viewer graphics settings

[16:36] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Hm?

[16:36] Johan Laurasia: that would be cool though, to teleport the whole avatar state such that, as Ardy pointed out, speedy goes in, speedy comes out.

[16:36] Davido Chrome: Yeah. I really want to make a Portal clone in SL. :D

[16:36] Andrew Linden: Sooden, go ahead.

[16:36] Sooden Ren: okay, been with you for over 5 years

[16:37] Sooden Ren: given you so many thosands cash

[16:37] Sooden Ren: and, as soon as i have a littl problem paying, ande even send messeges (well my pa did)

[16:38] Sahkolihaa Contepomi quickly relogs.

[16:38] Sooden Ren: you cut of mu acount

[16:38] Sooden Ren: thats a bit crule

[16:38] Davido Chrome: Isn't all that automated?

[16:38] Sooden Ren: i work so hard

[16:38] Johan Laurasia: Don't think the coders here handle that issue.

[16:38] Sooden Ren: i hael make SL good

[16:38] Sooden Ren: he:P

[16:39] Sooden Ren: i was on the long inpage for 2 days

[16:39] Andrew Linden: I would guess that the system in indeed automated, however Sooden may have a point nevertheless...

[16:39] Flip Idlemind: Could you attach some sort of "account for velocity" setting to all teleports, but just enable it for "LR" teleports (optionally)

[16:39] Sooden Ren: i am one puerson do in all that work

[16:39] Flip Idlemind: Don't know if I described that correctly... <.<

[16:39] Andrew Linden: maybe the system should be a bit more lenient, based on history of payments

[16:39] Sooden Ren: plkease give me a breake on the rent

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: Sooden, I'm having a hard time trying to understand you.

[16:40] Rex Cronon: u could play pool with avatars arriving:)

[16:40] Johan Laurasia: Yeah, I work for a major cell phone carrier and they do that Andrew

[16:40] Johan Laurasia: based on payment history and tenure.

[16:40] Sooden Ren: i am a disable slef employed

[16:40] Sooden Ren: doing my best

[16:40] Sooden Ren: i knoew hard times

[16:41] Andrew Linden: Sooden. Us Linden developers here don't work on the billing system

[16:41] TankMaster Finesmith: the lindens here have no role on what goes on with people's accounts, they cant really help you Im afraid

[16:41] Andrew Linden: but I think you have a good point

[16:41] Vincent Nacon: I think you might be looking for wrong kind of support from the lindens here.

[16:41] Andrew Linden: I'll try to track down someone who knows how the billing system works and suggest that they make it smarter.

[16:41] Sooden Ren: i knbow adrew hac big pull in SL

[16:42] Sooden Ren: andrew*

[16:42] Vincent Nacon: he's old but he's no CEO

[16:42] Johan Laurasia: Andrew is why we stand where we do in SL.

[16:42] Johan Laurasia: he made the land

[16:42] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: could you take out the ability to teleport besides owned estates and infohubs on mainland? Maybe im a dreamer but that would be pretty neat to see travelers and an emphasis on vehicle use and property values

[16:42] Andrew Linden: Theoretically a more lenient and forgiving billing system could be done, but I wouldn't be very good at estimating how much work it would be.

[16:42] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: not to mention immersion

[16:43] Johan Laurasia: Probably wouldnt be too hard to implement a single algorithm that spits out a number based on tenure and payment history, then bases closure on that value.

[16:43] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: i like the new teleports for developer use though, not to get it confused

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: immersion billing system? you mean like when your landlord come knocking at your door and violently demand the rents?

[16:43] TankMaster Finesmith: lol

[16:43] Davido Chrome: I really like that idea too, but I think it needs better sim crossings first.

[16:43] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: lol

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: don't think that'll suit LL

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: i wasnt talking about the billing system

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: =p

[16:44] Rex Cronon: will the landlorg also give a blue eye?

[16:44] Rex Cronon: landlord*

[16:44] Vincent Nacon: I know, just find it a bit ironic in merging topic

[16:44] Sooden Ren: though you lindens had smome effect...

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: I dunno i dont see any lindens rolling up sleeves

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: yet...

[16:44] Sooden Ren: seem money talks.. i am off

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: i dont think theyre mean landlords

[16:44] Vincent Nacon: muhaha! oy...

[16:44] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: just kinda takes a click to get rid of ya

[16:45] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: would be funny if they ruffed ya up though

[16:45] Arawn Spitteler: Landborgs, immersed in Linden$

[16:45] Sooden Ren: well would be off is SL worked

[16:45] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: oh gawd xD

[16:45] Johan Laurasia: Aren't there external ways to back up inventory too?

[16:45] Sooden Ren: attemy 2

[16:46] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: if it skipped and only copyed the things you had rights to copy

[16:46] Arawn Spitteler: They used to scrap all your inventory, when you're account was frozen, unless you changed to Basic before losing billing info.

[16:46] Andrew Linden: Gfresh, you had a question about the viewer graphics settings?

[16:46] Davido Chrome: But I like Robs point. If you actually have to use vehicles instead of being eble to telport on a whim. would do interesting things for immersion. And the new LR portals can complement the travel system.

[16:46] Rex Cronon: sooden. sometimes people make videos on you tube that gather the simpathy of others...

[16:46] Johan Laurasia: oh, that reminds me, I have one too

[16:46] Andrew Linden: We don't usually work on the viewer graphics, but maybe someone here knows the answer.

[16:46] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: i spend half my time in sl looking at a 2d interface XD I see it as a potential 3d web

[16:46] MartinRJ Fayray: hello, sorry for the late join

[16:47] Siana Gearz: *cough* sometimes your car gets eaten by the road, but then you can't rez a new one. so relying on one isn't really a good idea till thigs are much smoother than they are.

[16:47] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: its getting alot better!

[16:47] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: actually if you take a ride 1k up meters over mainland it usually goes fine

[16:47] Davido Chrome nods. Sim crossings need to be made a lot safer before it can be done.

[16:47] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: no hidden ban lines n such

[16:48] Ardy Lay: Tell you what, SL gets such travel restrictions as you are suggesting I'll be sure to direct all the angry mobs to your property. How will that effect your property value?

[16:48] Vincent Nacon: yeah Siana... before we had teleport on the fly... people were traveling on their own across the grid

[16:48] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: i did it the other day and got quite some distance untill i got cocky and went down to the ground again, those yellow lines come to fast xD

[16:48] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: that would be so cool!

[16:48] Vincent Nacon: they pretty much asked for teleport instead

[16:48] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: imagine if you had to set your beacon to an event

[16:49] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: and actually get there lol

[16:49] Davido Chrome: Ban lines! There is an issue! Can you make it so vehicles bounce on them instead of getting stuck in them?

[16:49] Vincent Nacon: yup, that how it was done

[16:49] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: ^like that katt

[16:49] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: good idea

[16:49] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: im jaelous vincet im only 4 xD

[16:50] Rex Cronon: like rubber bands?

[16:50] Davido Chrome: I mean, there was a road on the mainland where banlines were encroaching onj the road. Bomf, my7 bike got stuck. Sometimes you can edit it out, sometimes it just gets returned.

[16:50] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: you have to edit yourself out and reset the scripts in the object

[16:50] Kennylex Luckless: I think it shall cost extra to have ban lines in a social game.

[16:50] Davido Chrome: End you end up in a corner of the sim, feeeling very confused.

[16:50] Ardy Lay: .... sometimes a "security device" assualts you.

[16:50] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: or get on /off after you drag it out if your lucky enough to keep your prims from being returned

[16:50] Siana Gearz: i wonder, can't a sim simulate an avatar, object, vehicle, whatever, which is perhaps in its vincinity and not on itself, as long as the avatar or vehicle just needs to react to what's there, but need not affect what's there?

[16:51] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: I too have been voilated ardy

[16:51] Andrew Linden: Bouncing vehicles on ban lines might actually be possible these days. We tightened up some parcel checks/accounting back in the mesh project.

[16:51] Vincent Nacon: yeah

[16:51] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: that would be neat

[16:51] Vincent Nacon: and maybe trigger collision event as well?

[16:51] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: & only allowing them 500 meters + upstairs lol

[16:51] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: xD

[16:51] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: ok im really a dreamer

[16:51] Andrew Linden: I'll keep an eye out for the possibility of updating that. I've got some work to do around that code for pathfinding... the AI characters are a new type of object

[16:51] Siana Gearz: if so, you could make some long handover in which the vehicle is still simulated by the region it was in until all data is transferred and the new region is ready to take over?

[16:52] Ardy Lay: If I am going to be held responsible for the content of my parcels then I will be controlling who and what enters.

[16:52] Johan Laurasia: what about prim encroachment

[16:52] Andrew Linden: and need some "full parcel" and "parcel permissions" enforcement work done

[16:52] Andrew Linden: Johan, that is still on my backburner. I did not get to it this week. Things have been crazy.

[16:52] Siana Gearz: actually there is a feature of Aurora sim where it allows a person or vehicle to travel beyond region bounds.

[16:52] Andrew Linden: For me: I've been busy.

[16:52] Siana Gearz: i recall it doesn't need any or a lot of viewer support.

[16:53] Johan Laurasia: Yeah, I know your plate is full.. one other thing

[16:53] Johan Laurasia: I get some people who complain that they have to be pretty much right on top of a sculpt or mesh object to get a good view of it, and changing the debug setting for rendervolumeLODFactor from 1 to 4 seems to fix it, and has no adverse affect on the viewer lag wise. Why is the default set so low?

[16:53] Davido Chrome: Andrew, also, i have my room next to a sim crossing. That means the wall might as well be phantom.

[16:53] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: for those pentium 4 whiners

[16:53] Vincent Nacon: Johan, it's low because of slower PCs

[16:53] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Volume LOD factor that high can hit frame rates in high prim scenes.

[16:53] Siana Gearz: Johan, RenderVolumeLODFactor is equivalent to "Object" slider in graphics preferences.

[16:54] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: you sure?

[16:54] Vincent Nacon: I think it's time that we update system requirement

[16:54] Siana Gearz: the slider only goes to 2.0 because of max node size limit being hit and garbling some super high complexity linksets with values higher than that.

[16:54] Johan Laurasia: Well, I have a pretty beefy card, and the viewer should detect that and set a higher value rather than forcing a manual change.

[16:55] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Viewer can't detect absolutely everything your card can and can't do.

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: yeah, I have all LODs disabled

[16:55] Johan Laurasia: rather than default everyone to a setting of 1

[16:55] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Although I'll say again - viewer needs to have a performance tester in it for graphics...

[16:55] Siana Gearz: and yes, even on highest end GPU you'll see some problems in prim heavy regions if you let you go with object detail over 2.0 or so.

[16:55] Davido Chrome: It just takes a second to change, and you're done?

[16:55] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: if you have a pentium 4

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: just let you guys know... we should talk about that in a viewer meeting instead of here

[16:55] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is almost over

[16:56] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: We don't have a viewer meeting anyway.

[16:56] Vincent Nacon: we don't?

[16:56] Vincent Nacon: what the hell!

[16:56] Siana Gearz: Robster, no. you can hit performance problems on modern CPU too.

[16:56] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: xD

[16:56] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Closest is the open dev user group.

[16:56] Vincent Nacon: what about Nyx's?

[16:56] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: yah your right, im taxin 90% of my 4 cores now

[16:56] Davido Chrome: I thought Oz meeting was all about the viewer?

[16:56] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: That's content creation, not specifically the viewer.

[16:56] Kennylex Luckless: Apps, I need apps for grid status and so on, is that something LL can make?

[16:56] Rex Cronon: oz is os

[16:57] Vincent Nacon: no, Oz is about beta stuff in that phase

[16:57] Davido Chrome: Aah.

[16:57] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: if anyone here does work on the viewer make saveable and transferable prefferences so i can help out the noobiez plz

[16:57] Siana Gearz: Robster, SL viewer is primarily limited by performance of main thread, and you can only draw into OpenGL from one thread, so that is in the main thread.

[16:57] Draconis Neurocam: simon when do you think your map fix will hit the main grid?

[16:57] MartinRJ Fayray: robster they are

[16:57] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: =0

[16:58] Siana Gearz: then OpenGL driver implementation usually does buffering and processing in another thread, but that again lets you hit limits.

[16:58] Andrew Linden: Yes, LL would be the one to make apps for SL. Or alternatively we could provide some data API's and just let people make their own apps.

[16:58] Andrew Linden: That was the plan a long time ago...

[16:58] Simon Linden: Perhaps next week, Draconis. I'm not sure if it was tested today or not

[16:59] Davido Chrome: I am curious about the Mesh meeting, since that is, maybe, cancelled, do we bring up those issues here instead?

[16:59] Kennylex Luckless: LL feels more trysted than Griefer65 for apps.

[16:59] Vincent Nacon: doubt it

[16:59] Vincent Nacon: Nyx's would be more likely

[16:59] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Need to find out what Nyx is doing about the user group.

[16:59] Rex Cronon: there is "Mes Dev" group

[16:59] Flip Idlemind: So guize, SVC-7742, SVC-7743

[16:59] Flip Idlemind: Stuff to keep in mind

[16:59] Rex Cronon: i mean "Mesh*

[16:59] Simon Linden: ... it looks like it didnt' get tested today

[17:00] Andrew Linden: What kind of mesh questions would come up?

[17:00] Conover's Flight-Helper 6.3.3 (WEAR ME!): Flight-helper is ready and operational.

[17:00] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: for all these users with bad pc's maybe sl could sub license out onlive accounts capable of accessing secondlife, i think they're hurting for business

[17:00] Andrew Linden: If there are collision bugs with mesh, then we would discuss those here.

[17:00] Davido Chrome: Ok.

[17:00] Kennylex Luckless: Messh normal invert?

[17:00] Davido Chrome: Now that would be interesting!

[17:00] Meeter: Thank you for coming to the Server User Group

[17:01] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: how come path finding options were put into regions instead of larger linksets?

[17:02] Andrew Linden: RobsterRawb, we were planning on making per-object navigation meshes, but we punted that work for later so we could produce something that worked sooner.

[17:02] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: =D

[17:02] Davido Chrome: I wonder if we could make simball AI opponents with that?

[17:02] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: right on glad to hear it

[17:02] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: sure we could

[17:02] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: well figure it out

[17:02] Vincent Nacon: yeah... sooner because we're all getting mad about the ....stuff

[17:02] Andrew Linden: Connecting distinct navmeshes together, and providing a User Interface for controlling it is a bit of work.

[17:02] Simon Linden: I have to run ... thanks everyone for coming today

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: take care

[17:03] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: thank you simon

[17:03] DrFran Babcock: thanks for having us

[17:03] TankMaster Finesmith: have agreat weekend, simon, andrew

[17:03] TankMaster Finesmith: and kelely

[17:03] Simon Linden: Please put out the fire before it gets returned to our servers

[17:03] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: andrew :)

[17:03] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Enjoy your weekend, Simon, Kelly & Andrew.

[17:03] Sahkolihaa Contepomi: Haha

[17:03] Davido Chrome: Thanks!

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: naa, let the server burn!

[17:03] Rex Cronon: tc simon, andrew, keyll, and everybody

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: :P

[17:03] Rex Cronon: have a nice day all

[17:03] Rex Cronon: :)

[17:03] Johan Laurasia: Thanks for the seating this week Vincent

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: np

[17:03] Simon Linden: Have a great weekend

[17:03] Andrew Linden: Have a nice weekend.

[17:03] TankMaster Finesmith wonders what kelly is doing tot hat prim

[17:03] Davido Chrome: Damn, Simball AI bots would be fun to code!

[17:03] RobsterRawb Jaxxon: YAhHhHHhHH!!!

[17:03] Kelly Linden: playing with scripts.

[17:04] TankMaster Finesmith: :D

[17:04] Kelly Linden: one day I will get redcode working in lsl.

[17:04] Vincent Nacon: he's addicted to scripting

[17:04] Davido Chrome: Redcode?

[17:04] TankMaster Finesmith: he only has one script in it

[17:04] TankMaster Finesmith: or had

[17:04] Kelly Linden: only need 1.



Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.03.06 Next 2012.03.13