Volunteers should encourage the person in crises to call their local emergency services number (911 in Canada or the US, 112 in most European countries) or a local crisis hotline.
National Suicide Crisis Hotlines
- USA: 1-800-784-2433 Web: http://www.suicidehotlines.com
- Canada: 1-800-448-1833
- UK: 08457 90 90 90
- France: 01 45 39 40 00 Web: http://suicide.ecoute.free.fr/
- Australia: 1300 13 11 14 Web: http://www.lifeline.org.au
- New Zealand: (9) 5222-999 within Auckland, 0800 111-777 outside Auckland Web: http://www.lifeline.org.nz
- 0800 - 111 0 111 (ev.) (protestant)
- 0800 - 111 0 222 (rk.) (roman catholic)
- 0800 - 111 0 333 (Kinder / Jugendliche) (for kids/teens)
- Web: http://www.telefonseelsorge.de
- Netherlands: 0900-1450 (workdays, 0900-1800 local (CET)) Web: http://www.korrelatie.nl
- Belgium: 02 649 95 55 (24/7) Website: http://www.zelfmoordpreventie.be/index.php
- http://www.suicide-helplines.org/ - site offers info about suicide/crisis helplines worldwide:
- http://www.befrienders.org - international non-profit with 31,000 volunteers in over 40 countries
US: 866-488-7386 : The Trevor Project operates the nations only 24/7 crisis & suicide prevention helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. If you or a friend are feeling lost or alone call The Trevor Helpline. There is hope, there is help.
1-888-843-4564 : The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline provides telephone and email peer-counseling, as well as factual information and local resources for cities and towns across the United States.
All of our services are free and confidential.
We speak with callers of all ages about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, HIV/AIDS anxiety and safer-sex information, and lots more!
We also maintain the largest resource database of its kind in the world, with over 18,000 listings. Our database contains information on social and support groups, as well as gay-friendly religious organizations, sports leagues, student groups and more. We also have information on GLBT-friendly businesses including lawyers, doctors and various counseling professionals.
1-800-273- 8255 : The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis.
http://suicideandmentalhealthassociationinternational.org/Crisis.html - Worldwide Suicide Crisis Hotlines