Hybrid and Homebrew?
What exactly does hybrid and homebrew mean? Where is the difference to 'third party'? 'Homewbrew' even sounds a bit declassifying. Is the further extension of 'thrid party' really needed? --Peter Stindberg (July 8)
- No responses? Then I am going to take those declassifying words out. --Peter Stindberg (August 25)
Merging in Alternate viewers page
Merging the alternate viewers page into this neatly is next on my todo list however doing so neatly is going to be tricky along with the issue of keeping anything up to date. GW (T|C) -- 01:32, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
- Merged the content in and the page should be useable but I still want to seperate graphical from text viewers and all the content needs to be updated since much of it is way out of date. Also for each viewer there needs to be a line saying when the info on this page for that viewer was last checked and updated. GW (T|C) -- 19:35, 29 May 2009 (UTC)
Merging in Talk:Alternate viewers page
And on a side note.. I am not sure it was a good idea to merge the alternate viewers page with the Official SL downloads page, I think there is value in having them seperate.
--Ron Grantham 05:24, 3 June 2009 (UTC) [ Metabolt Credit to SLeek should be given, as Metabolt heavily uses existing SLeek code. Also SLeek should gte mentioned in the article.
Downloads The content of this article should probably be migrated to Downloads.
--SignpostMarv Martin 00:16, 18 December 2007 (PST)
It's been a year and a half but it's on my list of things to do, as soon as I get a chance and can figure out how to do it neatly I'll merge this page's contents in and redirect. GW (T|C) -- 01:33, 27 May 2009 (UTC) IM Not sure if this is the right place, but with Metabolt being mentioned, are the other clients like SLitechat worth mentioning? http://slitechat.dooglio.net/
I'd say: go for it! (please respect alphabetical order). oobscure 10:55, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
- Got the merge done the other day and people are updating the listings which is nice but a lot of them are still out of date and if it can be done without causing too much confusion I think that active and inactive projects should be seperated although the existence of viewers classified as "semi-active" complicates that. GW (T|C) -- 06:01, 4 June 2009 (UTC)
The first section under the Imprudence viewer (Usability, Stability, Flexibility) has nothing to do with the Imprudence viewer but rather is a rant against Linden Labs. It is inappropriate for a wiki and, frankly, is counterproductive for the proponents of Imprudence.Jos Ling 13:41, 15 September 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with the "rant again LL". However if you see that page as a place where the alternative viewer developers can present their project and their mission statement, it definitely has its place. I can't judge if it is counterproductive - it might even appeal to some. However I think the only judges of the statement are the readers, and therefore it is up to the Imprudence developers of how they want to present themselves. I will change the headline to "Motivation" and give the developers a head's up to rethink the passage. Thank you for bringing this up. --Peter Stindberg 13:57, 15 September 2009 (UTC)
- Editing_Guidelines#Point_of_View Quote: "A neutral point of view should be adopted, with the caveat that this wiki is for people helping build Second Life, not for complaints about Second Life or Linden Lab." - the removed text reads as follows:
- "The Second Life Viewer suffers from a stifling atmosphere of non-change. This atmosphere emanates from Linden Lab, whose attitudes and policies discourage all but the smallest and most superficial improvements. This is the result of the nature of Linden Lab as a corporation, thus rendering Linden Lab ineffectual at dealing with the fundamental usability problems that plague the Viewer." - to me that was clearly a complaint about Linden Lab, and therefore not meeting the guidelines.
- My personal opinion is given the size of the development team and the fact that they have two projects to keep in sync (server and client) the pace of change is reasonable. I may disagree with the priority in which they make updates, but that is not a reason to bash them on the "nature of Linden Lab as a corporation". In any case that is incorrect, the company name is "Linden Research". DanielRavenNest Noe 16:41, 15 September 2009 (UTC)
Future of this page
So.... is this page just going to be run as usual until LL gets the viewer registry up and running as noted at https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/community/blog/2009/10/20/third-party-viewer-policy? It seems like once that is done (which admittedly could be awhile) there's not going to be much of a purpose to this page since there will be another spot for officially sanctioned viewers and I doubt LL will want a list of non sanctioned viewers on the wiki. GW (T|C) -- 23:25, 20 October 2009 (UTC)