HOW TO: CHECK VIDEO CARDS AND DRIVERS
Key words: nvidias atis video cards drivers radeons geforce 5600 5200 5700 6600 6800 9800 8500 8700 9500 9700 directx intels graphics hardwares
This card assumes you run Windows XP
1. Right-click on My Computer.
2. Click on Properties.
3. Click the Hardware tab.
4. Click the Device Manager button.
5. Open the Display Adapter tree and your video card name is listed there.
6. Double-click the video card listing and open the Driver tab. This will give you what driver date and version you are running.
7. Go to the video card manufacturers website and compare this information with what drivers are currently available.
GENERALLY, its best to update to the current drivers. On occasion Second Life runs better on a less current version.For the most up to date information, check the forums. http://www.secondlife.com/forums
SecondLife requirements for video cards are: (PC or Mac) Nvidia Geforce2 (32MB RAM) or higher, or ATI Radeon 8500 (32MB) or higher
Players are playing with other cards that work but this is what is supported. If you have a card other than these you will need to find the manufacturers webpage and update to the latest drivers and hope for the best. You may also try the forums and see if anyone has posted with a similar setup to yours and got it to work.
NVIDIA Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
ATI Drivers: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Cards known NOT to work OR BARELY WORK: Intel Extreme Graphics Chipset
contributor: -Jill Linden