User:Dzonatas Sol/NVidia 190.42
Debian Lenny/Squeeze AMD64
This is to install the NVidia 190.42 drivers for Lenny/Squeeze. Lenny supplied 173.xx, yet not all functionality worked correctly, which meant Lenny users had to blind install the drivers directly from nvidia.com. Now, NVidia supplies source to their drivers, so we can easily compile the latest drivers for Lenny the Debian-Way.
Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to make sure these lines match (note contrib non-free added to deb-src):
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
Update, compile, and install the driver:
$ /etc/init.d/gdm stop $ rmmod nvidia $ aptitude update $ aptitude install module-assistant $ m-a prepare $ m-a update $ m-a a-i nvidia $ nvidia-xconfig $ modprobe nvidia
After you done a modprobe, it should show the NVidia driver version to be 190.42. The drivers are updated.
- $ aptitude
- Press '/' to search for "nvidia-glx"
- Hit return
- Hit return again to show details.
- Arrow down to where you see "190.42" and press '+' to mark it for install.
- Press 'g' to preform install/upgrade.
- Press 'e' to examine recommended changes and make sure it says it'll upgrade from 173.xx to 190.42 versions.
- Press '!' to accept and apply recommended changes.
- Press 'q' to quit.
Run aptitude again yet to search for and install nvidia-glx-ia32, which is the 32bit compatibility layer.
Now you can restart GDM:
$ /etc/init.d/gdm start