User:Poppy Linden/PyOGP \ libdev Initial Setup Experience
From Second Life Wiki
Revision as of 17:59, 2 July 2009 by Poppy Linden
sequential, oldest first.
- omg tons of docs
- omg repeats internally / externally... lemme fix that...
- ok, what deps are required? wait.. how does python pathing work? oh, i can just put it in my python_path, cool
- wait, this says i need to install a friggin million things.
- I Hate Everything Python Right Now.
- I bootstrapped a wicked python env in my homedir.
mkdir -p ~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages vi ~/.bashrc >> export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages >> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:~/bin:~/local/bin . ~/.bashrc curl -L 'http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg#md5=260a2be2e5388d66bdaee06abec6342a' > setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg sh setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg --prefix=~/local easy_install --prefix=~/local pip easy_install --prefix=~/local virtualenv
- ok, now what again? Oh yeah, virtualenv for pyogp... the point of this...
- virtualenv . --no-site-packages
- bin/python bootstrap.py
- bin/buildout -v
- oh, so virtualenv is preventing the very borknorking i am trying to prevent to my system. Fair game.
bootstrap / sanity verification
- pip -E . greenlet
- now a bunch of crazy shit instead of tracebacks, that's... good?
- 114 tests and 0 failures! that's good!
- vi src/pyogp.lib.base/pyogp/lib/base/tests/base.py
- everything starts with login, even with base. What about the delicious primitives i crave?
- ls -l is your friend. There are subfolders in src/pyogp.lib.base/pyogp/lib/base/, namely one named network, and one named message.
- reading tests is like looking at a tautology; they have no docs. "Yes, i bet that does in fact work that way." What do I see to bootstrap an app?
- i say: "(i want to know what code to see to understand) how to init main, send a message, quit" enus: "well, region.py uses UDPDispatcher. i've not tried using it w/o the entire context" "maybe test_udpconnection.py is a useful reference. it instantiates UDPDispatcher, against a mock host, and sends a message"
- enus: "the Message usage is changing soon. look at the Message() class." "packets.py transforms representations of packet data into Message instqances, but packets.py is going away soon"
- there *really* needs to be a step-by-step to get bootstrapped, I hope this helps write that! I'm still not writing "Hello World" with pyogp yet!