User:Poppy Linden/PyOGP \ libdev Initial Setup Experience
From Second Life Wiki
Revision as of 19:54, 8 July 2009 by Poppy Linden
sequential, oldest first.
- omg tons of docs
- omg repeats internally / externally... lemme fix that...
- ok, what deps are required? wait.. how does python pathing work? oh, i can just put it in my python_path, cool
- wait, this says i need to install a friggin million things.
- I Hate Everything Python Right Now.
- I bootstrapped a wicked python env in my homedir.
mkdir -p ~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages vi ~/.bashrc >> export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages >> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:~/bin:~/local/bin . ~/.bashrc curl -L 'http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg#md5=260a2be2e5388d66bdaee06abec6342a' > setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg sh setuptools-0.6c9-py2.4.egg --prefix=~/local easy_install --prefix=~/local pip easy_install --prefix=~/local virtualenv
- ok, now what again? Oh yeah, virtualenv for pyogp... the point of this...
- virtualenv . --no-site-packages
- bin/python bootstrap.py
- bin/buildout -v
- oh, so virtualenv is preventing the very borknorking i am trying to prevent to my system. Fair game.
bootstrap / sanity verification
- pip -E . install greenlet
- now a bunch of crazy shit instead of tracebacks, that's... good?
- 114 tests and 0 failures! that's good!
- vi src/pyogp.lib.base/pyogp/lib/base/tests/base.py
- everything starts with login, even with base. What about the delicious primitives i crave?
- ls -l is your friend. There are subfolders in src/pyogp.lib.base/pyogp/lib/base/, namely one named network, and one named message.
- reading tests is like looking at a tautology; they have no docs. "Yes, i bet that does in fact work that way." What do I see to bootstrap an app?
- i say: "(i want to know what code to see to understand) how to init main, send a message, quit" enus: "well, region.py uses UDPDispatcher. i've not tried using it w/o the entire context" "maybe test_udpconnection.py is a useful reference. it instantiates UDPDispatcher, against a mock host, and sends a message"
- enus: "the Message usage is changing soon. look at the Message() class." "packets.py transforms representations of packet data into Message instqances, but packets.py is going away soon"
- there *really* needs to be a step-by-step to get bootstrapped, I hope this helps write that! I'm still not writing "Hello World" with pyogp yet!
- test app, try 1
- mkdir test_dataserver; cd test_dataserver
- virtualenv . --no-site-packages
- RTFM: pip help install | less
- pip install -E . -e ../libdev/ libdev ... FAIL
- pip install -E . -e svn+../libdev/ libdev ... FAIL
- pip install -E . -e svn+http://svn.secondlife.com/svn/linden/projects/2008/pyogp/buildouts/libdev/trunk libdev ... FAIL
- OH WAIT the problem isn't the dir, it's the "libdev" afterwards
- pip install -E . -e svn+http://svn.secondlife.com/svn/linden/projects/2008/pyogp/buildouts/libdev/trunk ... FAIL but a new error, no setup.py... wait a sec...
- pip install -E . -e svn+http://svn.secondlife.com/svn/linden/projects/2008/pyogp/pyogp.lib.base/trunk/ ... WIN
- should work to just copy a unit test into my src/ dir, copying test_udpconnection.py as it sounds like a good start
- pip install -E . greenlet
- bin/python src/test_udpconnection.py ... aaaaaand... no output. Is that a good thing for a test?
- need some of this:
<python> if __name__ == "__main__":
- tests pass. Rad! Let's send some garbage.
learn to send messages
- pyogp.lib.base/pyogp/lib/base/message/circuit.py - the Host class looks a little thin; doesn't take a FQDN, just an IP addy?
- resetting the host in test_find_circuit in my modified copy of test_udpconnection.py doesn't seem to be hitting the desired host / port
- try to reverse-engineer class diagram using pylint and graphviz... hmm...
- finally get *something* - a couple circuits established with the UDPConnectionTest replacing the mock server with my code
- it's making me crazy that MockupTestServer and Client don't seem to map to a real object. It appears to be impossible to trivially modify test_udpconnection.py to connect to a real server instead of a mock.
- so after some tinkering, this works:
p = packet_types.AvatarPropertiesRequestPacket() poppy = UUID() print dir(poppy) print poppy.uuid.bytes p.AgentData['AgentID'] = poppy p.AgentData['SessionID'] = UUID() p.AgentData['AvatarID'] = poppy self.send_message(p, True)
- need a coroutine to sit and wait for response, not that far yet
- much of this functionality is in region.py, should definitely be brought out and into the message package somehow
- chat with enus about branching, possibly mercurial?