Difference between revisions of "Usernames"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 15:57, 3 February 2011
- 1 Is my "Second Life name" my username?
- 2 How do I log in with my username if I’m using Viewer 1.23 or a third-party viewer?
- 3 Is my username my display name?
- 4 Showing or hiding usernames
Your username is the unique account name or account ID you use to log into Second Life. Your username appears above your avatar inworld and identifies you to other Second Life Residents. You can also set a display name that appears above your username.
Is my "Second Life name" my username?
If you're a newer Second Life Resident, you created a unique username when you registered. That username is what you enter to log into Second Life (for example:
If you're a longtime Second Life Resident, you selected a Second Life name when you joined. That Second Life name now forms your username, using the formula:
(Second Life first name, in lowercase).(Second Life last name, in lowercase)
For example, if your Second Life name was Joe Smith when you joined, your username is joe.smith.
You should enter your username, or your "classic" Second Life first and last names into the Username field to log into Second Life.
How do I log in with my username if I’m using Viewer 1.23 or a third-party viewer?
The newer Second Life Viewers, including the official Linden Lab v2.x Viewer, now use a single username field plus a password field for logging into Second Life. However, some older Viewers such as the official v1.23 and most third party Viewers still use the old method of a First Name field, a Surname (aka Last Name) field and a password field.
If your Viewer has separate First Name and Surname (aka Last Name) login fields
The format for your username will depend on when you created your account; the newest accounts will have a single-word username whereas older accounts will have a username with a period in the middle.
If you’re a newer Second Life Resident with a single-word username:
- Enter your username in the First Name field.
- Enter resident (in lowercase) in the Last Name field.
For example, if your username is thejoesmith:
If you’re a longtime Second Life Resident with a first and last name:
- Enter your Second Life first name in the First Name field.
- Enter your Second Life last name in the Last Name field.
For example, if your Second Life name is Joe Smith:
If your Viewer has a single login field plus password
If you’re a newer Second Life Resident with a single word username, simply enter that username along with your password and log in as usual.
If you’re an older Second Life Resident who originally had a first and last name, you have two options:
- Enter your original first and last name (in lowercase, separated by a period) into the field provided OR
- Enter your original first and last name separated by a space (case does not matter)
For example, if your original SL name was David Dearheart:
david dearheart OR
Then enter your password into the Password field and log in.
Is my username my display name?
Your username and display name are separate. You can use the Second Life Viewer to set a display name for your avatar that's different from your username. See Display names for more details. However, you may not use your display name to log into Second Life.
Showing or hiding usernames
To show or hide usernames inworld, both in chat and over every avatar:
- Log into Second Life.
- Choose Me > Preferences from the top menu.
- Click the General tab.
- Select the Usernames checkbox. If the box is checked, usernames are shown. If the box is not checked, usernames are hidden.
- Click OK.