The following's a list of Second Life tutorials. This isn't meant to be a complete compilation, but includes tutorials I've personally viewed and have found helpful. I (Torley Linden) started this with the intention of providing an easy-access resource for SL vidtuts, because currently (2007-02-27), they're scarce and hard-to-find.
Please add what you've found useful; all I request is that you keep the presentation consistent so this page serves future generations well, and I'll be revisiting to learn from your knowledge —
"May we watch over the shoulders of our enlightened educators with smiles as plentiful as water!"
Video Tutorials in the Knowledge Base
- Current ones made by Torley - You can also see these on my YouTube page, including:
- How to use gestures
- How to manage your inventory
- How to use HUDs
- How to change your appearance
- How to open and sell boxes
- How to use the building grid
- How to fill in your profile
- How to create and send a notecard
- How to use Undo
- How to make a flag that waves in wind
- How to to make tiny prims
- Assorted Tips & Tricks - A yummy stew including a hearty helping of FollowCam!
- Advanced Snapshot Magic - Take better pictures!
You can also download most of these vidtuts (feel free to link to those URLs to stream them inworld)!
Video Tutorials on external websites
- Vidéos tutos en Français par Teruki Shan - Retrouvez toutes mes vidéos tutos sur mon site internet, ou dans la liste suivante :
- S'inscrire à Second Life
- Se connecter à Second Life
- Orientation Island - Move - Mouvements
- Orientation Island - Appearance - Apparence
- Orientation Island - Communicate - Communication
- Orientation Island - Search - Rechercher
- Fonctionalitées de l'Interface de Second Life
- Modifier et Sauvegarder son Apparence
- Ouvrir et Porter le Contenu d'une Boite
- Création d'Objet - Créer un Objet
- Créer un Objet Simple : Une Chaise
This vidtuts are in French and are made by Teruki Shan
- n00b Be Gone series - By Natural Selection Studios.
- Building in Second Life series - By Ian Monstre.
- Building and scripting series - By Seeter Sullivan.
- How to build a bridge - By Noire Mirabeau, in a relatively vintage example of an SL vidtut.
- Assorted resources and links - Includes guides to filming machinima and telling a story, some video tutorials, and movies of inworld adventures. By Thinkerer Melville.
- Using snapshot freeze to take precise pictures - By Bella March. By doing this, you can achieve better action shots without re-shooting multiple times.
- Using Photoshop's "Liquify" tool - By Vint Falken. This can help you smooth out and enhance avatar snapshots dramatically.
- How to use the Alt-Zoom Camera - moo Money guides us through using this tool to film movies.
- Top 10 Machinima Tips - By Eric Linden.
- Basic Machinima Tutorial - By The Grid Review.
- How to make a movie in Second Life - By Alt-Zoom Studios.
- Making Machinima in Second Life on Mac OS X - By Aenea Nori. Although specifically discussing the technical aspects of creating Machinima in Mac OS X, the concepts are applicable to Windows users as well.
- Vidder Maker Workshop -- The Six Gates - By Thinkerer Melville.
These aren't intentionally educational, but highlight specific aspects of Second Life.
- WindLight atmospheric rendering - By Torley Linden.
- Sculpted prims - By Qarl Linden.
- Flexible prims - By Torley Linden.
- How to convert YouTube videos for playing in Second Life - Step-by-step tutorial for when you want to show a fave clip inworld.
- YouTube search results for Second Life Video Tutorials - The list is small and growing!
- SL Frustration: Video Tutorials, please? - Sometimes when I ask myself "Why am I doing this?" while filming, I read this post and am reminded of how confused I was when I started. It's insightful.
- secondlife.com Community: Media - Showcase of finished, Resident-made machinima.
- How to convert YouTube videos for playing in Second Life - An answer to a question that many ask.
- teachtube.com - Because K-12 institutions routinely block YouTube, it can be difficult to show great educational examples of Second Life, as well as those wonderful tutorials by Torley and others. However, TeacherTube.com as a purely educational alternative. - The list is small.