Viewer Visual Update
This purpose of this project is to modernize the visual appearance of the Viewer User Interface. We will use the Viewer's existing skinning hooks wherever possible, documenting and addressing technical blockers as required.
- Improve visual appearance with modern UI graphics and icons
- Improve discoverability through expanded use of iconography
- Improve approachability with a lighter, friendlier color scheme
- Improve legibility by using dark text on light backgrounds
- Document technical limitations of current skinning capabilities
Following is a list of technical limitations and bugs preventing implementation of the updated visual appearance. There is a longer list of skinning feature requests (such as human-readable texture filenames and the ability to apply gradients to windows) but such features will be incorporated at a later date as part of the Skinning project (see User Interface Roadmap). The modernized look and feel described above could be implemented immediately if the following issues were resolved:
- VWR-2444 Menu background colors aren't settable in colors_base.xml -- Fixed!
- VWR-2445 Default IM/chat text color not settable in colors_base.xml
- VWR-2446 Viewer can't display UI textures that aren't in dimensions of powers-of-two
- VWR-2447 Text drop-shadow settings aren't configurable in XML, resulting in legibility issues under various color schemes
Feedback and Ideas
- Would like to see a flash layer, where flash widgets could communicate to the UI via an API and either replace or partially replace bits and pieces of it. This could be a big market for companies wishing to have customized clients but still take advantage of Linden Labs robust source.