Bug triage/2007-07-02/Transcript

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bug triage > Bug triage/2007-07-02 > Bug triage/2007-07-02/Transcript

[14:58] Dale Glass: hiya Rob :-)
[14:58] Rob Linden: hi folks
[14:58] Squirrel Wood: Meow ^^
[14:58] Dale Glass: Meowing squirrel O.o
[14:58] Entering god mode, level 200
[14:59] Torley Linden: hello oooh look who's here!
[14:59] Dale Glass: hiya :-)
[14:59] Squirrel Wood: such scoring systems are likely to be abused :(
[14:59] Bridie Linden: hi Dale
[14:59] Squirrel Wood: Yay!
[14:59] Bridie Linden: Hi Squirrel
[14:59] Squirrel Wood: What a fine collection of Lindens ^^
[14:59] Dale Glass: nah, I designed it to be much better than the old one
[14:59] Dale Glass: I was thinking the same
[15:00] Dale Glass: for the ones wondering what was that about: http://daleglass.net/images/screenshots/rate_001.jpg
[15:00] Torley Linden: *looks at URL*
[15:00] Benjamin Linden: hey Squirrel :-)
[15:00] Squirrel Wood: Dale, groups can still go and give negative votings
[15:00] Rob Linden: we have a quorum of Lindens, but should wait for some others
[15:01] Leaving god mode, level 200
[15:01] Squirrel Wood: SL-34773, "Show Creator name in Inventory for objects with contents" <= that's something to distract yoreselves with till more people arrive ^^
[15:01] Rob Linden: while we're waiting: SVC-385
[15:01] Squirrel Wood: And thanks torley for digging that one out ^^
[15:02] Torley Linden: yer totally welcome Squirrel
[15:02] Torley Linden: it's nice when i see something on PJIRA and i was like "hey i've seen that reported internally ages ago"
[15:02] Squirrel Wood: haven't "reported" it yet
[15:03] Soft Linden: Hey hey!
[15:03] Rob Linden: Lindens outnumbering Residents! w00t!
[15:04] Squirrel Wood: Lookie! I see a MISC-317 on the agenda ^^
[15:04] Soft Linden: I think that means we won?
[15:04] Iridium Linden: hiya, Soft.
[15:05] Torley Linden claps
[15:05] Rob Linden: alright...let's start
[15:05] Rob Linden: SVC-385
[15:06] Rob Linden: looks like it's already been imported
[15:06] Soft Linden: That one's been confirmed internally, alright.
[15:06] Soft Linden: Ya.
[15:06] Torley Linden: *looks*
[15:06] Soft Linden: Sim slowdown, torley
[15:06] Rob Linden: ...ok, no need to belabor it, then, unless anyone has somethign specific to say
[15:06] Rob Linden: let's move on: VWR-559
[15:07] Rob Linden: we discussed this one in the 6-25 triage
[15:07] Rob Linden: resolution was for me to start an internal discussion about how to deal with this type of issue, which I did
[15:08] Squirrel Wood: haven't had any freezes like that but sometimes SL would start up and then not initialioze graphics at all... window shows but stays empty. reboot fixes. may be an opengl issue as I have had that one with other games too
[15:08] Rob Linden: the issue, to recap, is that this type of issue is a little to vague to be actionable by a dev.
[15:08] Squirrel Wood: needs more info
[15:08] Rob Linden: ...and probably represents dozens of issues
[15:09] Rob Linden: ....however, it's good to have a watering hole for this category of bug
[15:09] Rob Linden: (and for other categories of bugs)
[15:09] Dale Glass: sounds like it, yeah. Might be OS specific too
[15:10] Benja Kepler: can I ask if Vista bugs are wanted?
[15:10] Rob Linden: ....so, we'll keep them open, but figure out how to mark them general discussion topics
[15:10] Torley Linden: yes Benja but please include that info in the Environment field
[15:10] Torley Linden: we're still doing compatibility testing/QAing with Vista and those would be useful but we need to be able to search for them
[15:10] Benja Kepler: ok
[15:10] Squirrel Wood: graphics freezing usually turns out to be either a driver problem or a thermal one
[15:10] Rob Linden: (agenda for this meeting is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_triage/Agenda )
[15:11] Squirrel Wood: for me at least
[15:11] Rob Linden: I guess we should have a new state. I learned way more than I wanted to this weekend about adding new states to JIRA, so I know how to go about it
[15:12] Rob Linden: whatever we decide to call that state, that's where VWR-559 goes
[15:12] Rob Linden: make sense?
[15:12] Bridie Linden nods
[15:13] Torley Linden: sounds good =)
[15:13] Benjamin Linden: Rob, by "state" do you mean a bucket state for related issues?
[15:13] Rob Linden: (and we can discuss the details of adding a new state on sldev@ or at the Thurs open source office hour)
[15:13] Squirrel Wood: Throw me a frikkin bone here!
[15:13] Squirrel Wood: I'm the boss, need the info!
[15:14] Rob Linden: by "state" I mean, "open", "resolved", "closed", ....
[15:14] Benjamin Linden: ah ok, got it
[15:14] Squirrel Wood: MoreInfoNeeded may be fitting?
[15:14] Rob Linden: This is potentially a long topic...let's move on, and I'll put that ont he Thursday agenda.
[15:14] Soft Linden nods.
[15:15] Rob Linden: next up: SVC-155
[15:15] Squirrel Wood: I guess that happens when client interpolation kicks in
[15:16] Soft Linden: There are two issues in this one.
[15:16] Dianne's Radio (by BLACK): Radio Nigel ---> http://stream.radionigel.com:8020/
[15:16] Soft Linden: One's the client interpolation Squirrel mentions...
[15:17] Soft Linden: The other is a long-standing problem where sometimes the character's height seems to get screwed up, so the feet end up with the shins at floor level.
[15:17] Soft Linden: (The second is WarKirby's comment)
[15:17] Torley Linden: hmm i wonder if that's related to the avatar jiggle bug that's also in PJIRA?
[15:17] Soft Linden: That one's a bit odd. You can resolve it by creating a landmark right where you're standing, and TPing to it.
[15:18] Soft Linden: Could be, Torley, if it's close to the ground and making the inverse kinematics on the feet try to resolve? Do ya know the ID on that one?
[15:18] Squirrel Wood: jiggle... there's the one where you crouch, walk, stop and keep crouching... avatar spazzes
[15:18] Torley Linden: yes i am gonna look it up, sec...
[15:19] Torley Linden: Squirrel that's a different one from what i'm referring to but i know that oen too :)
[15:19] Torley Linden: i've seen that one for a long time
[15:19] Torley Linden: soft, https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-874
[15:19] Squirrel Wood: okie
[15:20] Soft Linden: Yeah, you see that one at higher altitudes, where floating point precision falls off. I'm betting it's related.
[15:20] Rob Linden: how should we dispense with SVC-155? Import, link it to existing issue, other?
[15:21] Soft Linden: Should be imported for the parent issue. Low priority, but if there isn't an internal issue there should be.
[15:21] Soft Linden: I'll add a comment about the shin-floor thing being a separate issue
[15:22] Rob Linden: cool
[15:22] Torley Linden: thanks Soft i'll link those two issues as related...
[15:22] Rob Linden: next up: SVC-206
[15:22] Dale Glass: hmm, could it be related to ruthing?
[15:22] Soft Linden: Torley, yours is a third issue I'm pretty sure.
[15:22] Torley Linden: *nod*
[15:22] Soft Linden: But related too I guess
[15:23] Rob Linden: SVC-206 is imported already, but based on Gigs
[15:23] Rob Linden: ...coment, might not be a problem anymore
[15:23] Squirrel Wood: Seen that one happen.... should be able to reproduce by clearing your cache eventually and with high bandwidth set?
[15:24] Rob Linden: (gigs commented on agenda, not in the issue itself)
[15:25] Soft Linden: I've definitely still seen this one. It's not a big crasher or anything, but ya do see the hit.
[15:25] Soft Linden: I think we decided last week to import, but as low priority too?
[15:25] Rob Linden: yup. I just wanted to discuss to make sure we couldn't close it just yet
[15:26] Rob Linden: moving on
[15:26] Soft Linden: Yeah. Still saw that behavior this weekend.
[15:26] Rob Linden: VWR-1297
[15:26] Bridie Linden: I've seen this one but it is intermittent
[15:27] Soft Linden: Was getting a ton of that on Saturday and early this morning. It's especially bad in larger groups.
[15:27] Squirrel Wood: Sometimes I get that error *after* the posted message shows up in chat, sometimes I get it with the message NOT showing in chat
[15:27] Dale Glass: yeah, that's odd
[15:27] Dale Glass: seen it happen a few times
[15:27] Rob Linden: ok....sounds like we should import
[15:28] Soft Linden: I think 1297 may just be what happens if you time out, as opposed to just the delay in 1298. I see that error sometimes, only to see the text still pop up much later.
[15:28] Iridium Linden: Happens to me also, Squirrel.
[15:28] Rob Linden: Next: MISC-61
[15:28] Soft Linden: I'm on a number of 1000+ member IM chat groups. Could be part of the reason I see it more.
[15:28] Rob Linden: (me is instantly wary of issues filed in MISC)
[15:29] Iridium Linden: Often mis-filed.
[15:29] howow Nabob: *mews*
[15:29] Squirrel Wood: People often don't know where to place them?
[15:29] howow Nabob: <- laurent laborde on SLdev
[15:29] howow Nabob: (and kerunix Flan's alt)
[15:30] Soft Linden: Hey, Laurent :) Welcome to it
[15:30] Dale Glass: hiya :-)
[15:30] Rob Linden: Torley, is this a "won't fix"?
[15:30] Iridium Linden thinks so.
[15:31] Soft Linden: It looks like a feature request, not a bug really.
[15:31] Torley Linden checks
[15:31] Torley Linden: that's a tough one because...
[15:31] Torley Linden: we used to have that feature
[15:31] Torley Linden: it was taken away because of complications
[15:31] Torley Linden: so it's not strictly a "new" feature
[15:31] Soft Linden: Complications?
[15:32] Torley Linden: yeah i'm not sure what was the problem with that
[15:32] Torley Linden: i should ping Don and others who worked on Groups 2.0 for more context
[15:32] Torley Linden: because that's when it changed, last summer
[15:32] Iridium Linden: Used to be part of estate tools as I recall.
[15:32] Torley Linden: let me get more clarification on that.
[15:33] Rob Linden: Torley, how about I go ahead and import, but assign to you?
[15:33] Torley Linden: sure, that works for me
[15:33] Rob Linden: k....great, thanks!
[15:33] Rob Linden: next up:
[15:33] Rob Linden: MISC-153
[15:34] howow Nabob try to log on jira
[15:34] Iridium Linden: I have this issue with the kiosk.net servers.
[15:34] Rob Linden: (agenda is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_triage/Agenda if you want to follow along)
[15:35] Rob Linden needs bug triage sign to put out
[15:35] Soft Linden: #support was dealing with a number of similar complaints after Friday's update
[15:35] Iridium Linden: As far as I know, it's a server-side email issue.
[15:35] Squirrel Wood: good reason to use xml-rpc ^^
[15:35] Benja Kepler: is there any way to check if email is up in a sim?
[15:36] howow Nabob: i noticed that dataserver request were very slow yesterday at peak hours
[15:36] Squirrel Wood: That may be a good thing to track... email load on sims
[15:37] Rob Linden: methinks this may be like VWR-559
[15:37] Rob Linden: (limbo issue)
[15:37] Bridie Linden wonders if it's related to SVC-385
[15:39] Squirrel Wood beats Jira with some wet noodles "giddy up slowpoke" ^^
[15:39] Squirrel Wood: (30+ seconds loading time for me :( )
[15:39] howow Nabob: about SVC-385 i have insanely high agent time and image time, and reboot don't help at all. confirmed by many ppl on island owner group
[15:40] howow Nabob: (sim reboot)
[15:41] Rob Linden: I think this is a performance issue that's going to become a discussion bug rather than a specifc bug that a developer can declare "done" after fixing a problem
[15:41] Bridie Linden: ah
[15:41] Rob Linden: ...so, I'm going to mark it with whatever new flag/state we come up with for that category of issue
[15:42] Rob Linden: let's move on
[15:42] Rob Linden: MISC-317
[15:42] Squirrel Wood: My pet issue ^^
[15:42] Benja Kepler: I've been 'orbited' - very disconcerting to see your avatar all squashed up and thrashing about
[15:43] howow Nabob: :)
[15:43] Squirrel Wood: orbiting may eventually break scripts (no mod ones) to the point where they eventually may stop working... least I heard people talk aboot that
[15:43] Torley Linden: i'm glad you champion your issues so enthusiastically Squirrel
[15:43] Rob Linden: looks like it belongs in SVC
[15:43] Rob Linden: otherwise, looks good for import
[15:43] Squirrel Wood: I wasn't sure where to put it so it went to misc
[15:43] Torley Linden: Squirrel, i've heard that too, altho i've not been able to repro that -- by "stop working" i wonder what happens afterwards? is the script toggled off? or unopenable (which would be a lot more serious)?
[15:44] Rob Linden: Squirrel...could you move it to SVC, and add approrpiate component(s)?
[15:44] Squirrel Wood: it is bad when it happens with no mod scripts as you cannot reset those if they're not your own
[15:44] Rob Linden: I'll import after that
[15:45] Squirrel Wood: I'll try
[15:45] Soft Linden: One of the comments is from "watermelon tokyo." Just for Torley!
[15:45] Rob Linden: thanks squirrel
[15:45] Rob Linden: next up
[15:46] howow Nabob: it happens because when the system was designed, some things weren't considered or tested or something like that. <- new that's usefull :)
[15:46] Torley Linden: ha ha Soft
[15:46] Rob Linden: VWR-839
[15:46] Soft Linden: Would leave 839 open for a solid repro for now, unless it gets a bunch more votes
[15:47] howow Nabob: could test that on CrashMe
[15:47] Squirrel Wood: humm...
[15:48] Rob Linden: seems like the crash reports ought to tell us something, no?
[15:49] Dale Glass: suppose it should
[15:49] Squirrel Wood: looks like I can't change it from misc to anything else :(
[15:49] Dale Glass: if it doesn't, add a comment
[15:49] Rob Linden: Squirrel...interesting, I should probably fix that perm
[15:50] Dale Glass: I'll check it out again later, and if the report doesn't help will try to debug it and see if I can figure it out
[15:53] Rob Linden: I think I'll go ahead and import this one.
[15:53] Torley Linden: btw, i didn't know we could change Project types for an existing issue -- i thought we had to copy all that info to a new issue and close the old one
[15:53] Rob Linden: I might even be able to copy out the call stack
[15:54] howow Nabob: Benja, i added you on twitter :)
[15:54] Squirrel Wood: can I "change" the issue type by cloning it ?
[15:55] Rob Linden: Torley: you "move" the issue
[15:55] Benja Kepler: cool - I'm squawking the good points here
[15:55] Torley Linden: ahh
[15:55] howow Nabob: it could be nice to have some twitter-like thingy for SLdev
[15:55] Rob Linden: the permission may not be available to everyone to move issues in JIRA, but Torley should absolutly have it
[15:55] Torley Linden: lemme check...
[15:55] Torley Linden: ah yes i do see it
[15:55] Torley Linden: :)
[15:55] Squirrel Wood: I certainly don't have it
[15:56] Torley Linden: Squirrel would you like me to try with yours? and see if it completes successfully?
[15:56] Squirrel Wood: Please do ^^
[15:56] Rob Linden: let's move ion. VWR-874
[15:56] Torley Linden: k, doing so now
[15:56] Soft Linden: howow - some webmail services let you set up an RSS feed, and there are RSS notifiers. Could do it with a gmail account subscribing to just sldev.
[15:56] Rob Linden: ah, yes, some avatars do jitter and twitch :)
[15:57] howow Nabob: i suscribed but it doesn't allow shitchat and random tought :)
[15:57] Dale Glass: yeah, I've seen that months ago. Very old bug
[15:57] Dale Glass: I'd vote for import
[15:57] Torley Linden: dang, i got an error trying to move MISC to SVC -- "Unable to determine the target status for issue MISC-317."
[15:58] Rob Linden: yeah....I'll bet you we've got a 4-digit SL-XXXX issue for that one, but I'll risk a dup
[15:58] Rob Linden: ?
[15:58] Rob Linden: Torley....I'll give it a shot later. I might have mucked up something over the weekend fixing up a different problem
[15:59] Torley Linden: OK I'll try it again later
[15:59] Torley Linden: i don't recall seeing an internal issue for VWR-874 before
[15:59] Torley Linden: one of "those things" that we know have been with us for ages...
[15:59] Rob Linden: VWR-1298
[16:00] Rob Linden: (I'll import the last one)
[16:00] Bridie Linden: yup
[16:00] Torley Linden: yeah i'm definitely continuing to experience group chat delays
[16:00] Squirrel Wood: I have gotten offline IMs on messages posted to an active chat session
[16:00] Dale Glass: hmm, that happened to me a couple times too. Not recently though
[16:01] Soft Linden: Happens to me too, Squirrel. Usually in the first 1-2 minutes after logging on for me.
[16:01] Squirrel Wood: the message never was shown in chat... that is... until the next login
[16:01] Torley Linden: Squirrel, i get offline IMs when i'm teleporting and someone IMs me
[16:01] howow Nabob: squirrel, it's happening when teleporting from one sim to another
[16:01] Torley Linden: yeah, similar to what howow said -- those are my experiences too
[16:01] Squirrel Wood: Well, when that happened I was sitting in a sim for more than an hour already
[16:01] Rob Linden: k....I'll import
[16:01] Torley Linden: easy to repro that - tell someone to keep IMing you and start TPing. but in your case Squirrel, that's even odder.
[16:01] Squirrel Wood: yups
[16:01] howow Nabob: squirrel, maybe the one who IM'd you was TPing :p
[16:01] Squirrel Wood: only happened once, too
[16:01] Rob Linden: welll, I'm double booked for 4pm, so I should probably run
[16:02] Rob Linden: thanks everyone for showing up!
[16:02] Torley Linden: i've got to go too but thanks for hosting us Rob for this triage! =)
[16:02] Iridium Linden: Thanks, Rob!
[16:02] Squirrel Wood: Thanks for letting us participate in this ^^
[16:02] Torley Linden: great to do this with you guys, more eyeballs as they say
[16:02] Soft Linden: Thanks for hostin' :)
[16:02] Bridie Linden: yahoo!
[16:02] howow Nabob: anyone know if Blue Linden have a twitter account ?
[16:02] Torley Linden: take care all, and see you later
[16:02] Bridie Linden: later!
[16:02] Squirrel Wood: Meow!
[16:02] Torley Linden: howow, haha, how'd you find Lindens on twitter? ;)