Display names/Improvements to the display names feature as a result of your feedback
For the Viewer 2.3 Beta release, we've made a number of improvements to the display names feature based on Resident feedback during the beta testing period. Thanks so much for your help!
Here's a video overview:
Better visibility of display names and usernames:
- By default display names are shown over avatar heads - but where the display name and username do not match, we will default to show both. This behaviour can be changed in Preferences.
- Username and display name can both be seen throughout the UI and in many places where display name is shown, username is too.
- Both names are labelled more clearly in the Profile so that people can clearly see which is which.
- The small people inspector also now shows the highlighted username as well as display name.
- Chat history (Ctrl-h) can show both names on a line, so that chatlogs remain readable even if people are changing their names mid way through. It uses the Preference settings to decide whether to display both.
- We show a system message in local chat when anyone present changes their display name. It now also shows a system message for your own display name changes.
- We've added a Viewer Hint to explain to new residents that they have two names in their Profile and how they can change name behaviour.
Control over how you view display names:
- The layout of the Preferences relating to display names has been improved to make those options easier to find.
- There is a Preference option added that will show residents that are on your friends list with a different coloured name (green). So, regardless of their display name, you will know that you are friends. This now colours their group tag green too.
- The Edit display names button now aligns to the display name in the Profile, making it more obvious what is being changed.
Defense against griefers:
- We've added an instant Copy To Clipboard button to the Profile pane so that no matter how complex a display name is (and unicode can be hard to type), it is easy to grab the name for searching, abuse reporting, or adding to ban lists.
- Display name changes are logged within our systems so that where there is misuse of the feature we can see that and take appropriate action.
- The ability for a Resident to change their display name can be controlled by support staff - so that if someone abuses the feature we can elect to turn off the ability to change display name for that account and alts.
- We improved the chat logging so we don't break Resident tools that expect plain text.
Setting and resetting your display name:
- Resetting a display name to default (back to matching the username) is not throttled, so it is always possible at any time.
- When changing display name, we ask for the new one to be entered twice, to prevent misspellings.
- From launch we are only allowing display name to be changed once per week.
- The entry of a new display name is now clamped to 31 characters. Previously it had allowed names that were too long but then failed to set it.