Doc Team/2011-02-02

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Transcript

[13:01] LegoMan Karu: Hey Jeremy.
[13:01] LegoMan Karu has pinged you.
[13:01] Jeremy Linden: Hey LegoMan. Good to see you on the main grid.
[13:01] LegoMan Karu: Yep.
[13:01] Nathan Adored: Ah, LegoMan is a teen? Kewl
[13:01] LegoMan Karu: Yep.
[13:01] LegoMan Karu: Is voice on?
[13:02] Nathan Adored: So he's in real life only a little bit older than the character I play in world. heh. Well, slightly older than the PHYSICAL age of my character. He's a sci-fi character who's been through multiple time warps that made him younger again
[13:02] Jeremy Linden: Heh. That sounds like Torley's backstory, Nathan.
[13:02] Jeremy Linden: Voice is off here, Lego.
[13:03] LegoMan Karu: oh k
[13:03] Nathan Adored: What, Torley's been zapped by time warps that turned him into a preteen kid again? :D
[13:03] Jeremy Linden: Not quite, but he had some kind of story to explain why he became female.
[13:03] Nathan Adored: ah
[13:03] LegoMan Karu: ok
[13:03] Nathan Adored: /me giggles
[13:04] Jeremy Linden: http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Torley_Linden
[13:05] Jeremy Linden: It's pretty quiet here today! Did you guys miss me last week?
[13:05] LegoMan Karu: Yea i was not on Last week.
[13:06] Jeremy Linden: Sorry I didn't say something in advance; I was actually at HQ for some team-building exercises and stuff.
[13:06] LegoMan Karu: Really does Micheal Linden run it
[13:06] Jeremy Linden: Rodvik Linden is the new CEO, Lego :-)
[13:07] LegoMan Karu: oh Yeah will he come inworld
[13:07] LegoMan Karu: to meet people in office hours
[13:07] Jeremy Linden: He already has come inworld a bit. I think he's done quite a bit of exploring as his alt, too.
[13:07] Jeremy Linden: You should read his first blog post... he talks about his experiences getting to know SL.
[13:08] LegoMan Karu: Yeah hes good the Milltarys on SL are come up really Fast
[13:08] Nathan Adored: I was busy on another world, with another in-world group-chatting thingy that overlapped with this OH
[13:10] Jeremy Linden: Heh. So you guys are here because you weren't here last week? :-P
[13:10] Nathan Adored: Well, I come here a lot..... I just... changed my plans at the last minute because of the other event
[13:11] Jeremy Linden: I was hoping for a bigger crowd, but it's worth mentioning that this is going to be my last personal office hour. In theory, there should be a big announcement on Feb. 8 explaining the new implementation of office hours, along with times and places where they'll be held.
[13:11] LegoMan Karu: Oh yeah Michael was Telling me about it whats going on?
[13:12] Nathan Adored: So, someone else will be taking over for the docteam OHs?
[13:12] Jeremy Linden: I can't go into detail until after the announcement, but we'll be expanding the scope of this office hour to other community/help issues, and we'll be moving the time so it doesn't conflict with a different group.
[13:12] Nathan Adored: I was actually halfway expecting more ppl to show up and grouse about that disappearing-megraprims foulup.
[13:13] Jeremy Linden: Technically, I won't be the one running it anymore, but I'll still be there most weeks.
[13:13] LegoMan Karu: So hows the security Proposel going?
[13:14] Jeremy Linden: LegoMan, I don't think it's going to fly. We've been over this many times.
[13:15] Nathan Adored: What proposal is this? (Do I WANNA know? oO )
[13:15] LegoMan Karu: oh k
[13:15] LegoMan Karu: Sorry
[13:16] Jeremy Linden: If I understand correctly, LegoMan is proposing that Linden Lab set up manned governance stations throughout Second Life, staffed by Lindens.
[13:16] Jeremy Linden: Hello, Psi. Welcome to Documentation Office Hours.
[13:16] Nathan Adored: and that would accomplish.... what exactly?
[13:16] Jeremy Linden: Exactly :-)
[13:17] LegoMan Karu: brb
[13:17] Nathan Adored: And no, I didn't mean that rhetorically....
[13:17] Psi Merlin: Hi
[13:17] Nathan Adored: What would te purpose of that set of stations be?
[13:18] Jeremy Linden: That's a question for Lego.
[13:18] Nathan Adored: Anyway, I don't really see it happening, regardless: too many layoffs of Lindens lately....
[13:19] Jeremy Linden: It's an interesting concept, but I think the abuse reporting system gets the same results, and with better coverage and less manpower.
[13:20] Nathan Adored: /me nods nods nods
[13:20] LegoMan Karu: True
[13:20] LegoMan Karu: Jeremy have you any ideas lately
[13:20] LegoMan Karu has pinged you.
[13:21] Jeremy Linden: I've been working on a thing I can't talk about yet, so this office hour has been pretty boring lately :-)
[13:21] Nathan Adored: awwwwww
[13:22] Nathan Adored: So, anything you can talk about concerning the recent event of lots of megaprims suddenly disappearing out of people's builds?
[13:22] LegoMan Karu: k
[13:22] Jeremy Linden: To be honest, I haven't heard more than the occasionaly twitter chatter about it. I didn't realize there was a big event.
[13:23] Jeremy Linden: er, occasional*
[13:23] Jeremy Linden: Hello lonetorus. Welcome to Documentation Office Hours
[13:23] lonetorus Habilis: heyhey :)
[13:23] Nathan Adored: I dunno how big or small an event it was either. Fortunately, no megaprims disappeared out of MY build. Knock wood
[13:24] Jeremy Linden: Huh. I'll have to ask around about it next time I get a chance.
[13:25] Jeremy Linden: I have a theory, but again, it's something I can't talk about :-P
[13:25] Jeremy Linden: Hey lonetorus, that outfit is cooler than my bling suit!
[13:27] Jeremy Linden: Hey Rand!
[13:27]
[13:27] LegoMan Karu: Hey Rand
[13:27] Jeremy Linden: (Rand is the new manager of the Documentation Team)
[13:27] LegoMan Karu: Great
[13:28] Nathan Adored: helllo Rand
[13:28] Jeremy Linden: Hello Morgaine. Welcome to the last Documentation Office Hour
[13:28] LegoMan Karu: Hey i have question is there anyway to go to Linden Sims as a Guest
[13:29] Not in general, AFAIK...unless you are God TP'ed there for specific meeting
[13:29] Jeremy Linden: I'm afraid not, LegoMan. Linden regions are for Lindens only, and contain stuff that's generally for our eyes only.
[13:29] Morgaine Dinova: Thanks for the welcome, Jeremy. (I misclicked the link, but all the best to you in your last own OH :-)
[13:29] Morgaine Dinova has pinged you.
[13:29] LegoMan Karu: I see.
[13:30]
[13:30] Morgaine Dinova: Hi Rand, all the best to you too :P
[13:30] Nathan Adored: /me suddenly has that James Bond movie theme running through his head., "Forr youuurrrr eyes onlyyyyyyy..... only for youuuu....."
[13:30] Morgaine Dinova: Now for the link I *meant* to click (Oz's OH :P) ...
[13:31] yakov Ryba: Hello
[13:31] Jeremy Linden: Heh. Good ol' Oz, more popular than me :-P
[13:31] the Office Hours program is transitioning to a User Group format and we will be ablet to provide more information on 2/8 regarding the User Groups that are available
[13:31] apropos of that
[13:31] m planning on rescheduling this meeting so that it doesn't conflict
[13:31] yakov Ryba: can I talk to you lindens for a sec?
[13:32] yakov Ryba: well, I had 20k land stolen from me. :s
[13:32] Sorry to hear that, Yakov
[13:32] You should raise a support ticket
[13:32] yakov Ryba: yeah, stinks
[13:32] Nathan Adored: oO
[13:33] yakov Ryba: well, I called up but they said I had to have a premium.
[13:33] yakov Ryba: I mean, it was group owned.
[13:33] yakov Ryba: but, I was still the leader.
[13:33] yakov Ryba: and its dissapointing.
[13:34] This meeting is really for discussion of documentation related issues, though...
[13:34] yakov Ryba: oh, ok.
[13:34] yakov Ryba: Sorry then
[13:34] LegoMan Karu: Hey i have a Question how to become a Scout a Live chat Person
[13:34] sorry about what happened, but I'm not in a position to help...
[13:34] yakov Ryba: mk
[13:34] Nathan Adored: who is?>
[13:34] Jeremy Linden: /me is happy to discuss, but Rand is correct. The two of us don't have any ability to change your situation.
[13:35] can you answer the Q from LegoMan
[13:35] Rand Linden has pinged you.
[13:35] Jeremy Linden: One moment while I check my facts
[13:35] LegoMan Karu: k
[13:36] LegoMan Karu: Rand is nice to meet you for the first time.
[13:36] Nice to meet you, too, LegoMan..and all of you for that matter! :-)
[13:39] t know how familiar you all are with what we do, but basically we help create and maintain the Knowledge Base - https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/KB
[13:39] re working on overhauling the content to bring it up to date and make it more useful
[13:40] Jeremy Linden: So, the Scouts work for a company called StarTek. To become a Scout, you'd have to apply here: http://careers.startek.com/
[13:41] were you asking how to contact Scouts via Live Chat? Or something else?
[13:42] how to become a Scout yourself :-)
[13:42] LegoMan Karu: How to become a scout
[13:42] then what J. said
[13:43]
[13:44] yakov Ryba: Well, ill be going.
[13:44] Jeremy Linden: Thanks for coming, yakov. Sorry we couldn't be more help.
[13:44] yakov Ryba: That's ok
[13:44] yakov Ryba: Later, lego.
[13:44] LegoMan Karu: you to
[13:46] Jeremy Linden: Rand, do you know what time the next office hour is going to be here?
[13:47] let me look it up...
[13:48] m proposing Thursdays at 1pm PT
[13:48] LegoMan Karu: Thats good time
[13:49] I tried to pick a time that did not conflict with any other User Group meeting
[13:49] There will be a general announcement on the 8th that gives all the details
[13:49] Jeremy Linden: Heh! That's almost the same time as my old TSL office hour.
[13:50] for all user groups
[13:50] I think there is now going to be a consolidated Teen UG
[13:50] That Terrence will be the spokesperson for
[13:51] Nathan Adored: Hmmmmm..... I just realised Jeremy's twitter picture makes it look like he has glowing eyes. Was he born in Midwich? :D
[13:51] Nathan Adored has pinged you.
[13:51]
[13:51] LegoMan Karu: Oh yeah me and Terrence are good firends
[13:51] s a nice guy...
[13:51] LegoMan Karu: thx
[13:51] Jeremy Linden: Oh, Nathan, that was a defining part of my avatar for a long time!
[13:52] Jeremy Linden: My bear has those eyes :-)
[13:52] Nathan Adored: Dern...... I mista missed that.
[13:52] LegoMan Karu: Whats a UG
[13:52] Nathan Adored: User Group?
[13:52] LegoMan Karu: oh k
[13:52] yes User Group
[13:52] Jeremy Linden: /me turns on his eyes.
[13:52] LegoMan Karu: oh ok now i know
[13:53] LegoMan Karu: have any of you guys seen Lexington and concord
[13:53] they are not going to call these meetings Office Hours any more...renaming them to User Groups
[13:53] Jeremy Linden: /me lives near Lexington and Concord.
[13:53] LegoMan Karu: I see
[13:53] LegoMan Karu: the sims i mean
[13:53] no i havent seen those
[13:53] LegoMan Karu: you should check them out in Little bit
[13:54]
[13:54] Nathan Adored: Oh boy, what chairwarmer dreamed that one up? oO
[13:54] LegoMan Karu: A popular Place there the Combat sims
[13:54] LegoMan Karu: but they are safe zone there
[13:55] I think the idea is to emphasize that the discussion should center around Resident interest rather than a particular Linden
[13:55] LegoMan Karu: Yea true
[13:55] Office Hours brings to mind a college professor holding forth..but it should be more of a discussion
[13:55] Jeremy Linden: As I've been saying for the past few weeks, you can probably expect a more structured agenda for this office hour (uh, User Group) in the near future. Trust me, there'll be plenty to discuss :-)
[13:56] LegoMan Karu: So will there be a group to have office hours and we will have to join the group
[13:56] re working on some good stuff that we'll be able to discuss soon....
[13:56] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): The original idea, was from academia, and college proffessors should have different styles
[13:56] I think you can just show up to the UGs that you're interested in
[13:56] LegoMan Karu: Seems like a Good idea
[13:56]
[13:57] Jeremy Linden: I don't think you'll need to join any groups, Lego, but we'll probably be a bit more diligent about discussing our specific topics.
[13:57] LegoMan Karu: hmm Intesting
[13:57] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): /me still doesn't understand why CG discontinued, but suspects he'd been investing too much time in preparation
[13:57] ll try to stay focussed on the UG topic and there will likely be other Lindens involved
[13:57] in this one in particular)
[13:57] LegoMan Karu: hmm Good idea
[13:58] t here earlier, but there will be a general announcement on 2/8 about the future of Office Hours....
[13:58] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): /me imagines Jeremy writing up the documentation on how to hold the Office Hours
[13:58] Arawn Spitteler has pinged you.
[13:58] LegoMan Karu: is UG on the internet yet or has not been relased yet
[13:58] which are now going to be called User Groups
[13:58] Not yet realeased....
[13:58] LegoMan Karu: k
[13:58]
[13:58] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): So, they'll be User Group Format, rather than Office Hour Format?
[13:58] LegoMan Karu: Whos going to write the blog
[13:59] Jeremy Linden: To recap: Today is the last "Documentation Office Hour", but the replacement will be announced next week on 2/8
[13:59] I suspect Amanda Linden
[13:59] LegoMan Karu: k
[13:59] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): I know some interest areas have been without hours, and hours weren't arranged with any interest for interest
[13:59] LegoMan Karu: k
[13:59] I believe some thought has gone into coming up with User Groups that will address most if not all areas of interest
[14:00] and if there are ones that were missed, then discussion will be open on starting those...
[14:00] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): Part of Office Hours were to introduce Lindens to End Users, if you actually believe in Users, and other religions mythos. Requiring special rules is probably what held a lot of them back
[14:00] Time Minder: You have been online for 1 hours.
[14:00] m not in charge)
[14:00] Nathan Adored: Religions like the one in TRON? :D
[14:00] Jeremy Linden: /me is not a program!
[14:01] Nathan Adored: Where the programs worshipped the mythical Users? :D
[14:01] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): You don't believe in Users, do you?
[14:01]
[14:01] Daniel Voyager: Hiya
[14:01] Arawn Graalrd (arawn.spitteler): Those Lindens who believe in Users will receive the standard substandard training.
[14:02] Jeremy Linden: From what I heard at HQ last week, we're going to be taking a long, hard look at the best ways to get feedback about what you guys really want from Second Life. That will probably involve a bit more structure to how our interactions work, but it should also mean that widespread concerns are heard and acted upon faster. And, you know, at all. ;-)
[14:02] what Jeremy said...
[14:02] Rand Linden has pinged you.
[14:02] LegoMan Karu: Thats Good i like that
[14:03] for those who weren't here earlier, look for a blog on the 8th that describes the new User Groups program...
[14:03] Daniel Voyager: cool
[14:04] and this OH will morph into "Community Tools" that will be held Thursdays @ 1pm PT
[14:04] but I need to dash off!
[14:04] Jeremy Linden: Same place, new sign!
[14:04] LegoMan Karu: where
[14:04] LegoMan Karu: oh k
[14:04] Nice chatting with you all!
[14:04] Jeremy Linden: I might need to find more seats, too :-)
[14:04] Daniel Voyager: cya
[14:04] LegoMan Karu: you to
[14:04]
[14:05] Jeremy Linden: I'll cut here for the transcript. Thanks everyone for coming and listening, even after I couldn't make it last week.

Generated with SLog Wikifier