Havok 2k10 Beta Home
From Second Life Wiki
This article is obsolete, but kept as a historical record. Do not rely on this information in any way. However, it may be used in the future, so please do not delete or modify.
What is Havok 2k10
Havok 2k10 is a significant upgrade to the Havok physics engine. It has merged into the Mesh server branch and deployed to ADITI for your verification pleasure. There are no new features and no obvious differences you should expect. We are asking that you simply test existing physics based objects to prove that they still work. We are not load testing Havok, we are not stress testing Havok, we are not crash testing Havok.
As of this server version, we have removed the "10cm gap" from most objects. In general, this is expected to result in better behavior and easier building in the future. However, some existing content may not behave as it did previously. Here are some examples:
- Tightly fitted physical pieces (e.g., a physical elevator in a tight shaft)
- A physical object made that has non-convex prims in it (if it has a dimple or hole in it, it's not convex)
- This is because the one place we have not removed the gap is for non-convex prims inside physical linksets. So these prims will collide like they used to, but since the objects they collide /with/ will have changed, the behavior will be different
- E.g., a vehicle with torii wheels colliding with a curb is likely to bounce up more than it did previously. A vehicle with cylinder wheels will likely not have this problem.
How you can help
- Make sure that your physics based objects that work on the main grid continue to work on the new Havok.
- Rez your physics based objects and verify their functionality.
- File bugs for behaviour that differs from the expected (AGNI) behaviour.
- Have fun.
Where you can test your stuff
All of the Mesh regions on ADITI are equipped with the latest changes.
Sandboxes 2, 15, 22 and 32 had been kept back to Havok 7 for A/B testing, but as of 24 March 2011 they run the same server release than the other Mesh regions.
Info on Mesh
Mesh Enabled Regions
Things to not do
- Do not stress test the physics engine.
- Do not load test the physics engine.
- Do not crash test the physics engine.
- Do not report changes that are obviously related to the 10cm gap as bugs.
- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
- Do not make Falcon Linden upset with you.
How to file bugs
- Log in.
- Enter a summary.
- Select 'Havok2k10' as the component.
- Leave the assignee blank
- Be sure to add your environment.
- Be verbose and descriptive when explaining the issue.
- Please only file bugs under the Havok2k10 component if the behavior is different between the above sandboxes and mesh sandbox on which you tested. That is, if the behavior is only different between agni and the above sandboxes, please feel free to file bug reports but do not list the bugs under Havok2k10.