Mentor Linguists/2008 11 13 Meeting Transcript

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting (old agenda):

  • Revision of the group.
    • Short summary about the history of the group
    • Listed and explained new goals of the group (focus on translations, umbrella group, opening for all interested Residents...).
    • Request to add linguists to the contact person table at the Mentor Linguists wiki page.
    • Request to found language specialized language groups (one per language) and add them to the table as well.
    • There is an interest in monthly meetings so those will be scheduled.
    • Suggestion to use a Subscribe-O-Matic tool to keep linguists up to date will be looked at.
  • Intro about the Community Translation Projects and request to advertise them amongst linguists.
  • Request to also link unofficial translations of the KB / Blog / etc. to the localized Help Portals.
  • Request to translate the terms located at Mentor Linguist Scribe Translation Project/HP L10N in order to support localization of Help Portal connected articles.
  • Request to help at CT-81 in order to create/formulate new Localization Functional Tests.
    • Note that only the first part of the Jira is in French, rest is in English and the Wiki page is in English too.
  • Free software that supports UTF-8 encoding and which is therefor useful for localization work:
  • Explanation about the changes in Project:Languages and link to Video Tutorial
  • Explanation on the Articles in need of translation feature of Template:Multi-lang and introduction of the Localization Portal
    • Request to not create empty subpages for translations in order to keep this categories filled. In case subpages are created nevertheless, request to add those manually to the categories.

Transcript

  • [13:00 SLT] Zai Lynch: is it ok if we wait maybe 2 or 3 more minutes? i know that gally wanted to drop by and maybe 2 more people
  • [13:00 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: i was saying in C...
  • [13:00 SLT] Slatan Dryke: you are the boss Zai
  • [13:00 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: 4°C
  • [13:00 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: i think
  • [13:00 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: ok, Zai
  • [13:00 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: kk Zai
  • [13:01 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe. ^_^ kewl *stands on a box*
  • [13:01 SLT] Slatan Dryke: ludinha where are you in Alaska ?
  • [13:01 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: I apologize myself, but maybe i will have to leave in the middle( im at work)
  • [13:01 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: Chicago, IL
  • [13:01 SLT] Slatan Dryke: ohhhh
  • [13:01 SLT] Slatan Dryke: already so cold there ?
  • [13:01 SLT] Zai Lynch: eeeps. ok... we'll have a transcript of the meeting so you can catch up later on the wiki. everyone who does not want his or her name in the transcript, please send me an IM and i'll edit it out
  • [13:02 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: its weird, but yes
  • [13:02 SLT] Tue Torok is in IM hell :S
  • [13:02 SLT] Slatan Dryke: ty Zai
  • [13:02 SLT] Zai Lynch: yvw ^_^
  • [13:02 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: thx Zai
  • [13:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: :-) i think i'll post the link to the agenda so you can have a look at it and then we'll start. so it's written over here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mentor_Linguists/Agenda
  • [13:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: as you probably know, the mentor linguists group was originally founded to support the "linguist" role within the mentor program
  • [13:04 SLT] Slatan Dryke: surfaqua :))
  • [13:04 SLT] Surfaqua Oh: coucou
  • [13:04 SLT] Slatan Dryke: and Gally :))
  • [13:04 SLT] Tue Torok: but yet... (transfer) ;)
  • [13:04 SLT] Gally Young: hello )
  • [13:04 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: hi
  • [13:04 SLT] Slatan Dryke: hello Lexie :)
  • [13:04 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: Hey Gally
  • [13:04 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: Hey Lexie
  • [13:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: by now, we'd like to open the gates to all intersted linguists in order to support more linguists and to not devide them anymore. i don't think it would be a benefit to have them split in many different groups
  • [13:04 SLT] Lexie Linden: Hi : ))
  • [13:04 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: Hi Lexie
  • [13:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: heyas suraqua, gally, lexie =) thx for droppin by
  • [13:05 SLT] Tue Torok: Hi Lexie :)
  • [13:05 SLT] Lexie Linden: : ))
  • [13:05 SLT] Zai Lynch: agenda is posted at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mentor_Linguists/Agenda and we're just introducing =)
  • [13:05 SLT] Surfaqua Oh: hi everybody
  • [13:05 SLT] Surfaqua Oh: hi lexie
  • [13:05 SLT] Lexie Linden waves
  • [13:05 SLT] Tue Torok: Hi Surfaqua
  • [13:06 SLT] Zai Lynch: until now, the group was mainly a resource to ask questions like "Helper X with language ability Y needed at help island Z"
  • [13:06 SLT] Zai Lynch: these requests are of course still welcome in the group chat. however, i would like to focus the group more on translations than on inworld help
  • [13:07 SLT] Zai Lynch: a reason for that is that not all members will able to access the help islands and therefor such requests might be better placed in the upcoming greeter group channel
  • [13:07 SLT] Zai Lynch: language help via translation however is accessable to all linguists. and therefor we can make a difference in that way
  • [13:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: every member of the group is able to invite new members. so in case you know people who'd like to help, please go ahead and send out invitations
  • [13:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: i added a table to the wiki page of the group in order to name contact persons available with different language skills and experience fields.
  • [13:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: for example: french wiki translations, japanese viewer translations, etc. there are still some open spots. so when you are experienced in a field and would like to help, please let me know at the end of the meeting
  • [13:09 SLT] Zai Lynch: the table can be found at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mentor_Linguists
  • [13:09 SLT] Zai Lynch: i see the group mostly as some kind of umbrella group
  • [13:09 SLT] Zai Lynch: what i mean with this is:
  • [13:10 SLT] Zai Lynch: i'd like to redirect residents with language skills to "specialized" groups in their language
  • [13:10 SLT] julhien Hotaling: hi everyone
  • [13:10 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: hi Julhien
  • [13:10 SLT] Zai Lynch: for example: french linguists to the "Localisation de Second Life" group or danish people to the "Dansk Sproget Second Life " group etc
  • [13:10 SLT] Zai Lynch: heyas julhien and mona =)
  • [13:10 SLT] Slatan Dryke: hi Julhien and Mona
  • [13:11 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: hi Mona Lisa
  • [13:11 SLT] Gally Young: hi Julhien ans Mona :)
  • [13:11 SLT] Monalisa Robbiani: hey
  • [13:11 SLT] Zai Lynch: this might give these linguists the best support possible. i also try to encourage localization specialists at Linden Lab as well as residents who run groups which are supporting non-profit SL® related support translations)
  • [13:12 SLT] Flandria Connolly: sorry
  • [13:12 SLT] Zai Lynch: to post notices in the mentor linguists group so every can keep posted on ongoing developements and maybe repost them at their specialized/focused group
  • [13:12 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: no prob
  • [13:12 SLT] Zai Lynch: heyas flandria =)
  • [13:12 SLT] Tue Torok: Can we pop in questions and comments at any time ?
  • [13:12 SLT] Zai Lynch: so these are my plans for the future of the group so far.
  • [13:12 SLT] Zai Lynch: oh yes, shoot =)
  • [13:13 SLT] Marybeth Oceanlane: hello folks, guess im a lil late
  • [13:13 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: hi Mary
  • [13:13 SLT] Slatan Dryke: hello Mary :)
  • [13:13 SLT] Marybeth Oceanlane: hi :)
  • [13:13 SLT] Zai Lynch: np =) can catch up with the transcript later if you like. i'll send out a notice once it's online. everyone who likes to be "censored" at the transcript, send me an IM and I'll take care of that
  • [13:13 SLT] Tue Torok: First of all... the Linden guys are already doing a great job helping. Especially Lexie, Danica and Ramzi. So you would like to see us sending out news with for example when a new translation version is ready for download ?
  • [13:14 SLT] Tue Torok: via notices
  • [13:14 SLT] Tue Torok: ?
  • [13:15 SLT] Zai Lynch: that can be send as well, but it is not the primary task i had in mind. i was thinking of - for example related to the danish project - in case there are new tasks available in the jira and linguists are needed to translate, then the notice might be send with a request for that
  • [13:15 SLT] Tue Torok: ahh gotcha :)
  • [13:15 SLT] Zai Lynch: this might be especially useful for those linguists who don't have a specialized group to rely on.
  • [13:16 SLT] Zai Lynch: in case you'd like to found such a group for your language, please let me know as well and i'll add it to the list. however, i would suggest to have only ONE group for each language. otherwise we'd be subdivided as well and that wouldn't benefit the goal i think
  • [13:16 SLT] Zai Lynch: heyas lynn and golan =)
  • [13:16 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: hi
  • [13:16 SLT] Lynn Lamourfou: hola :)
  • [13:16 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: zai
  • [13:17 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: hi all
  • [13:17 SLT] Slatan Dryke: golan Lynn :)
  • [13:17 SLT] Tue Torok: i agree... could get messy
  • [13:17 SLT] julhien Hotaling: hi golan
  • [13:17 SLT] Zai Lynch: i also thought about asking for some kind of regular meetings. so now i'd only ask for the interst in such meetings, not for the exact date since i think that this will be quite hard to find. maybe we can organize that via the wiki or everyone who's intersted can send me a notecard with availability times again. something like that
  • [13:18 SLT] Zai Lynch: would a regular meeting be something you'd be interested in?
  • [13:18 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Would it be useful?
  • [13:18 SLT] Marybeth Oceanlane: that would be interesting
  • [13:18 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: yes
  • [13:18 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: yup, it would be good
  • [13:18 SLT] Zai Lynch: i'm not sure if it would be useful, so that depends on the contributions of course =) and the attendees
  • [13:19 SLT] Tue Torok: I think we should try it, but i am just worried about me making the meetings. Was lucky i could make it today :)
  • [13:19 SLT] Slatan Dryke: well we can try first :)
  • [13:19 SLT] Zai Lynch: but i would consider it as useful since it's sometimes more easy to get an information accross. a notecard or so can be missunderstood while a meeting offers the chance for questions
  • [13:19 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe yuss =) ok, i'll send out a request for availabilty times then. a monthly meeting would be ok i think?
  • [13:19 SLT] Tue Torok: yes
  • [13:20 SLT] Slatan Dryke: yup
  • [13:20 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: yes
  • [13:20 SLT] Marybeth Oceanlane: yup
  • [13:20 SLT] Gally Young: yes :)
  • [13:20 SLT] Tue Torok pokes Lexie :)
  • [13:20 SLT] Lexie Linden: : ))
  • [13:20 SLT] Zai Lynch: kewl :-) so everyone here can send me a notecard with their availability times and i'll try to find a date which fits for all or at least for most. i'll also send a notice so the ones who aren't here tonight can also send in their times
  • [13:21 SLT] Zai Lynch: so this was the part about the group itself. i'd like to look at the actual linguists work during the next 40 mins of the meeting in case there are no questions about focus of the group, history of the group, meetings or anything related?
  • [13:22 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Hmm... when will the greeters group be open?
  • [13:22 SLT] Zai Lynch: as far as i heard, the vteam is focusing for january. but lexie might know best
  • [13:22 SLT] Lexie Linden: Right, early January
  • [13:23 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok, so it doesn't look as if there were more questions, i'd go on with the next agenda item, which is: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Community_Translation_Project
  • [13:24 SLT] Zai Lynch: this wiki page currently lists all community translation projects which are officially announced by Linden Lab. i'm sure that most of you heard about them, but i'd also like to request to spread them amongs linguists that you know of in order to advertise them
  • [13:24 SLT] Tue Torok: Danish is such a beautiful language :p
  • [13:24 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe
  • [13:25 SLT] Zai Lynch: there are also resident driven translation projects and some of them might evolve in a community translation project, like it happened with tue's translations for example
  • [13:25 SLT] Tue Torok: Well.... to be honest Zai... there hasn't been much community to it yet
  • [13:25 SLT] Tue Torok: so far i've done all of it.
  • [13:25 SLT] Zai Lynch: i know that geneko made a translation of the viewer to chinese. i think we should forward that to danica linden, in case you didn't do so already geneko?
  • [13:26 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: I did.
  • [13:26 SLT] Zai Lynch: ouch ^_^ so i hope we'll be able to change that with some advertisement
  • [13:26 SLT] Tue Torok: Pretty hard getting good helpers, many people would love to help, but not many actually do the work.
  • [13:26 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Didn't send LL the contribution agreement yet, and there's a bit of QA to be done.
  • [13:26 SLT] Tue Torok: Zai, I don't mind, I am in control as long as i do it myself.
  • [13:26 SLT] Zai Lynch: yeah i know the prob :-S
  • [13:27 SLT] Zai Lynch: true. but some second (or third) pair of eyes on a work can often be a benefit for some quality assurance.
  • [13:27 SLT] Zai Lynch: i'll try to attend office hours hosted by lindens who are speaking languages other than english
  • [13:27 SLT] Tue Torok: The testers will do that when i send out the files to people ofc :)
  • [13:28 SLT] Zai Lynch: and maybe they are willing to place some clickable sign with a link that raises attention to ongoing translation projects. in case you know of any other methods to promote these, please let me know or feel free to implement them on your own. i think it can only benefit the community
  • [13:28 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe. or that way ^^
  • [13:29 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Now if only the Resident Experience group could do something like that.
  • [13:29 SLT] Tue Torok: I formed a testing group, I think that is a pretty good way to find all the errors and mishaps
  • [13:29 SLT] Zai Lynch: is there a special testing group or are you talking of a huge danish group with people who are willing to test a viewer with your translations?
  • [13:29 SLT] Zai Lynch: ah
  • [13:29 SLT] Zai Lynch: you formed
  • [13:29 SLT] Tue Torok: yes for the purpose
  • [13:29 SLT] Zai Lynch: sorry, i didn't read it the right way ^^
  • [13:30 SLT] Tue Torok: no problem :)
  • [13:30 SLT] Zai Lynch: is it the dansk sproget second life group?
  • [13:30 SLT] Tue Torok: yes
  • [13:30 SLT] Tue Torok: Some of those already have SL in Danish
  • [13:30 SLT] Tue Torok: and they love it... haha
  • [13:31 SLT] Zai Lynch: ah good. then it's linked the right way in the table ^^ so if any of you know about specialized language groups which are missing at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mentor_Linguists , please let me know as well. in case there is no group but a forum (like for the spanish translators), please let me know to
  • [13:31 SLT] Zai Lynch: any resource might be a benefit
  • [13:31 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: i will have to check if the Portuguese Mentor group is already listed
  • [13:32 SLT] Zai Lynch: it's not listet so far. so can do that. however best would be to have groups listet which are not restricted to only some residents, but open for all.
  • [13:32 SLT] Zai Lynch: in case there are none of them available, any other group will do better than no group (of course)
  • [13:32 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: Zai, only a idea... We could use also the free version of the Subscribe-O-Matic to inform all Linguists connected to aeach language.
Some non-PG dude jumps in and dances at the meeting area
  • [13:32 SLT] Tue Torok: OMG
  • [13:33 SLT] Tue Torok: thats nasty
  • [13:33 SLT] Zai Lynch: oh that would be neat!
  • [13:33 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: cool idea
  • [13:33 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: we still have the 25 groups limitation...
  • [13:33 SLT] Tue Torok: Lexie... are you taking care of that dude ?
  • [13:33 SLT] Lexie Linden: yes
  • [13:33 SLT] Monalisa Robbiani: O.O
  • [13:33 SLT] Tue Torok: Thx
  • [13:33 SLT] Surfaqua Oh: X_x
  • [13:33 SLT] Surfaqua's translator: X_x
  • [13:33 SLT] Monalisa Robbiani: OMG! I had local chat window open
  • [13:33 SLT] Zai Lynch: is it working via object IMs or is it also possible to send notecards and such?
  • [13:34 SLT] Tue Torok: What is up with the 25 group limit anyway ?
  • [13:34 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: you can send objects, notes, etc.
  • [13:35 SLT] Zai Lynch: neat =) ok i think that would be a kewl addition to the group notices which are sometimes unreliable. i also thought about having a mailing list, but wasn't sure of that
  • [13:35 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: it has a limitation of 500 members (for each "group"), the free version
  • [13:35 SLT] Zai Lynch: @25 group limit: i think that will need quite some time to be raised since i don't know of new developements to solve the issue.
  • [13:36 SLT] Zai Lynch: woah... ok. 500 should be enough for the forseeable future i guess ^^
  • [13:36 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: and I don't have anything to do with that Subscribe-O-Matic... lol... I only use and like it
  • [13:36 SLT] Ludinha Kamachi: =)
  • [13:36 SLT] Tue Torok: Yeah i can recommend that also
  • [13:36 SLT] Zai Lynch: ^_^
  • [13:36 SLT] Radioactive Rosca gave you Subscribe-O-Matic information.
  • [13:37 SLT] Zai Lynch: ty for the notecard =) will have a look at it and poke you with questions about it once i'm done with reading (and understanding ^^)
  • [13:37 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: ok
  • [13:38 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok, something not on the agenda but currently fitting: in case you got or know of resources like: inofficial translations of the KB, translations of the LSL Portal not hosted at the SL® wiki and all of that
  • [13:39 SLT] Zai Lynch: please feel free to add these to the translated version of the help portal in teh connected language. these pages don't neccessarily need to be in sync. so if there is something helpful for a specific language, please link it there
  • [13:39 SLT] Zai Lynch: the portal and its translations can be found at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Help_Portal
  • [13:40 SLT] Zai Lynch: also related to that: i was trying to organize a translation of the involved help templates in order to support all languages for translations of it. there is a list with currently unsupported langugaes and a few single words were i'd need a translation for
  • [13:41 SLT] Zai Lynch: i think it currently covers danish, chinese (both simplified and traditional) as well as greek, polish... please have a look over here if you'd like to help https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mentor_Linguist_Scribe_Translation_Project/HP_L10N
  • [13:41 SLT] Zai Lynch: it's very few work (only some words) but would make a huge difference if they were translated so i can implement the templates
  • [13:42 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok, next agenda item is something were danica linden asked to raise attention to. it is: Request for help with Localization Functional Tests (related to CT-81[c])
  • [13:42 SLT] Zai Lynch: i think gally might be most experienced with this topic here.... so i didn't ask her to prepare something.
  • [13:43 SLT] Zai Lynch: can you explain to us what the issue is about?
  • [13:43 SLT] Gally Young: you can find the jira here : http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CT-81
  • [13:44 SLT] Gally Young: the jira was opened by Noelle Linden and is in french.... but its goal is to test all text fields inthe viewer with foreign characteres (infrench : ô àèé etc)
  • [13:45 SLT] Gally Young: tests have te be created in order to be used withh all project of viewer's localization
  • [13:45 SLT] Gally Young: the following wiki page hav been created with all tests : https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Localization_Functional_Tests
  • [13:45 SLT] Gally Young: but several parts must be done
  • [13:45 SLT] Zai Lynch: so it is not primarily thought to test these but to create tests, right?
  • [13:45 SLT] Gally Young: yes Zai :)
  • [13:46 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Wouldn't that be... internationalization test as opposed to a localication test?
  • [13:46 SLT] Gally Young: the goal is to create test for futur project of localization of the viewer ;)
  • [13:46 SLT] Zai Lynch: so everyone is encouraged to edit the linked wiki page and to add tests to identify these issues
  • [13:47 SLT] Zai Lynch: hm... i think that is right geneko... so i'm not 100% sure
  • [13:47 SLT] Tue Torok: I had a lot of problems with the danish letters æ ø and å when translating. Untill i got Komodo, do we have the program mentioned anywhere for people who wants to do translations ?
  • [13:47 SLT] Zai Lynch: you mean a program that supports utf-8 or a program that also helps with translations as such?
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: Well Dreamweaver also support UTF-8.... but still messes up the files so that the special chars does not work with the xml files in SL.
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: The chars does not show
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: also Wordpad or Notepad can't do it
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: but Komodo can
  • [13:49 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Notepad should be able to...
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: I tried... with no luck
  • [13:49 SLT] Lexie Linden: Notepad2?
  • [13:49 SLT] Tue Torok: i have to type the char code for it to work
  • [13:49 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: You need to choose "UTF-8" in the "Save As" dialog.
  • [13:50 SLT] Tue Torok: Geneko i did :)
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: as lexie states, notepad2 might be helpful. so i can't tell since i never tested it *works in linux* but notepad2 is available at what lexie said
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: eeeps
  • [13:50 SLT] Tue Torok: Ramzi told me to get Komodo, and I have had no issues after that
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: wrong copy and paste
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: there ^^
  • [13:50 SLT] Lexie Linden: Komodo is windows only..I think*
  • [13:50 SLT] Zai Lynch: is it available for free? can you post a download link?
  • [13:51 SLT] Tue Torok: one sec
  • [13:51 SLT] Tue Torok: http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml
  • [13:51 SLT] Tue Torok: and yes it's free
  • [13:51 SLT] Tue Torok: Windows? Mac? Linux? Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • [13:51 SLT] Lexie Linden: ahh good
  • [13:51 SLT] Zai Lynch: kewl =) i'll link both programs to the mentor linguists page as a resource
  • [13:51 SLT] Tue Torok: Great :)
  • [13:53 SLT] Zai Lynch: =) so to the CT81 topic: in case some of you are looking for some work that isn't neccessarily about translations itself, i guess this would be the task to have a look at. and since gally is almost doing it on her own so far, i'm sure she'd be happy for support ^_^
  • [13:53 SLT] Gally Young: if anyone wants to participate to CT-81, you can : 1/ add you name and the section you want to do in the jira, /2 update the wiki page :)
  • [13:54 SLT] Gally Young: and yes I would be happy for suport ツ
  • [13:54 SLT] Zai Lynch: and in case errors are found while looking at the tests, please create seperate jiras for them
  • [13:54 SLT] Zai Lynch: and tag them with the "internationalization" component
  • [13:54 SLT] Gally Young: and feel free to update my own tests... nobody is perfect :)
  • [13:55 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe
  • [13:55 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok, next topic is about translations in the second life wiki
  • [13:55 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: agrrre
  • [13:55 SLT] Tue Torok: Will there be a description in english also ?
  • [13:55 SLT] Tue Torok: I only had french for 3 years and forgot it all again :p
  • [13:55 SLT] Gally Young: importan thing are in the wiki page
  • [13:56 SLT] Gally Young: *important
  • [13:56 SLT] Zai Lynch: the jira starts in french but the comments are switching to english when you scroll down. danica wanted to ask noelle if she'd translate the description itself
  • [13:56 SLT] Gally Young: Read the "INSTRUCTIONS FOR TESTER" in the wiki page
  • [13:57 SLT] Zai Lynch: @wiki translations: there were some changes at the translation guidelines of the wiki recently. before these changes, it was not allowed to store articles with a name other than the english name
  • [13:58 SLT] Zai Lynch: translations were stored at a subpage with the related language code. like Main Page/fr
  • [13:58 SLT] Zai Lynch: for the french version of the main page
  • [13:58 SLT] Zai Lynch: this changed recently and is reflected in https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project:Languages
  • [13:59 SLT] Zai Lynch: you can now store the page with a translated name in case you take care of some minor additions. for example add the "base page" (english) to the multi lang template and place a redirect at the /languagecode subpage
  • [13:59 SLT] Zai Lynch: this might sound difficult at the moment but it is quite easy. the page states the procedure and in case there are any questions about it, you can contact the contact persons named in the table
  • [14:00 SLT] Zai Lynch: i also made a video tutorial for easier visualization
  • [14:00 SLT] Zai Lynch: it is linked at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOHgnwaONVg
  • [14:00 SLT] Slatan Dryke: this is good for me :)
  • [14:00 SLT] Zai Lynch: (i'll summarize the meeting in the transcript and present all the links in the summary so you doN't need to save them now if you'd like to look at them later)
  • [14:00 SLT] Zai Lynch: woot! ^_^
  • [14:01 SLT] Tue Torok: :)
  • [14:01 SLT] Zai Lynch: there are some more changes made in template multi lang. these include that now all missing translations are automatically in a category for each language
  • [14:01 SLT] Zai Lynch: these categories are linked to the localization portal where lexie is taking care of.
  • [14:02 SLT] Zai Lynch: it is located over here https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Localization_Portal and also linked to the main page
  • [14:02 SLT] Zai Lynch: on the right side, you can see the categories linked
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: it works that way that every page which got a multi lang template, automatically registers the page as "need of translation" for all languages. the template tests if subpages with the langugae code are in existance. if they aren't, then the page stays in that category
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: if they are, then it removes it from the category
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: example:
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: Main Page is there and has a multi lang template
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: a french translation exists (Main Page/fr)
  • [14:03 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: HEBREW AS WELL ?
  • [14:03 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: opss caps
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: so the main page isn't in the category "Articles in need of French translation" anymore
  • [14:03 SLT] Zai Lynch: yes, hebrew as well =)
  • [14:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: a greek translation doesn't exist, so it is in the category "Articles in need of Greek translations"
  • [14:04 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: kwel
  • [14:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: the template can ONLY test if the subpage is in existence, not, if it actually stores a translation or nor
  • [14:04 SLT] Zai Lynch: *not
  • [14:05 SLT] Zai Lynch: therefor i'd ask to not create empty subpages anymore in order to keep these pages in the category. in case you'd like to create the subpage nevertheless in order to support editors with fewer wiki skillz, please add them manually to the category
  • [14:05 SLT] Zai Lynch: any questions about that?
  • [14:06 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok, any questions overall or the need to discuss a topic which wasn't mentioned so far? otherwise i think we're done and that even almost in time (^_^)
  • [14:07 SLT] Slatan Dryke: great job Zai ty :)
  • [14:07 SLT] Tue Torok has no further questions :) Thx for very nice moderation Zai :)
  • [14:07 SLT] Lexie Linden: Great meeting!
  • [14:07 SLT] Zai Lynch: yay (^_^) ty
  • [14:07 SLT] Flandria Connolly: thanks ZaI:)
  • [14:07 SLT] Slatan Dryke: Tue now offers delicious danish cookies :)
  • [14:07 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: thanks, Zai
  • [14:07 SLT] Zai Lynch: please be sure to drop me a notecard with your availability times (in SLT) so i can shedule a meeting for next month. thx for attending!! and thx for helping with linguists tasks =)
  • [14:07 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe. ty ^^
  • [14:08 SLT] Gally Young: thanks Zai, good job :)
  • [14:08 SLT] Tue Torok gave you HI-FIveTM Presentation Screen Boxed(Unpack).
  • [14:08 SLT] Tue Torok gives Zai a gift :)
  • [14:08 SLT] Slatan Dryke: hello Lisa :)
  • [14:08 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: u rock Zai woot
  • [14:08 SLT] Zai Lynch blushs
  • [14:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: ^_^
  • [14:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: ty
  • [14:08 SLT] eva Nowicka: a great job, yes :)
  • [14:08 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: lol
  • [14:08 SLT] Marybeth Oceanlane: Thx Zai, great meeting
  • [14:08 SLT] Lisa Lowe: Hi Slatan
  • [14:08 SLT] Lexie Linden: I cant believe you don't like all my blank subpages Zai : p
  • [14:08 SLT] Slatan Dryke: bravo Zai :)
  • [14:08 SLT] Lexie Linden: lol
  • [14:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: oh heyas lisa =)
  • [14:08 SLT] Zai Lynch: lol ^_^
  • [14:08 SLT] Tue Torok: haha
  • [14:09 SLT] Lisa Lowe: Zai.....U rock indeed! :)
  • [14:09 SLT] Zai Lynch: i didn't wanted to put you in the spot like this :p
  • [14:09 SLT] Zai Lynch: aw thx ^^
  • [14:09 SLT] Tue Torok: I can't believe the word "Blank" came out of Lexies mouth! :O
  • [14:09 SLT] Lexie Linden: lol
  • [14:09 SLT] GOLAN Eilde: o.0
  • [14:09 SLT] Tue Torok: :)
  • [14:09 SLT] Slatan Dryke: who brings home Geneko ?
  • [14:10 SLT] Radioactive Rosca: lol
  • [14:10 SLT] Slatan Dryke: awww WB
  • [14:10 SLT] Tue Torok: hahaha
  • [14:10 SLT] Zai Lynch: i luv this ava. it's way cute <3
  • [14:10 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: What? I'm always here.
  • [14:10 SLT] Zai Lynch: hehe
  • [14:11 SLT] Geneko Nemeth: Just, not paying any attention, to the meeting or to my work.
  • [14:11 SLT] Zai Lynch: ok everyone :-) i think i'll poof in order to have a look at the transcript and to write the summary and such. have a great night, evening, morning, whatever fits =)
  • [14:11 SLT] Lexie Linden: Bye Zai : )
  • [14:11 SLT] Tue Torok: Goodnight everyone.... time to get shuteye here in Denmark :)
  • [14:11 SLT] Slatan Dryke: ty Zai TC :)
  • [14:11 SLT] Zai Lynch: cyas =)

Generated by SL Chatlog Wikify