Old Second Life FAQ
|Tip: Looking for official Second Life help? Visit our Old Knowledge Base!|
- I made a mistake with my name when logging in on the first time. Can I change it?
- What is a Charter Membership?
- What happens to delinquent accounts?
- How do I set my profile picture ?
How does the Software Work? - see the User's Manual
- Why is this so slow ?
- How can I set my Preferences ?
- How far away can people hear me?
- What are those words above names?
- What does that abbreviation mean ?
- Why do I have a box on my head/hand?
- Why can't I stand up from this sofa?
- Where is my avatar in inventory?
- Why do you look so much better than me? Why do I look like I have rubber skin and cotton hair?
- How do I detach something from my head ? (or other body part)
- What are the calling cards?
- What are HUD attachments ?
- I joined a group, and now I have a title in front of my name, how do I remove it ?
Stuff To Do
- What do I do here ?
- What are the basic social rules?
- Where do I find a party? How do I go to classes?
- How do I make money ?
- How do I become a landowner ?
- What does 'Add Friend' mean ?
- Why are there so many girls in Second Life ?
- Hey, Can we have sex here ?
Stuff to Get
- Where do I buy new clothes ? (or other things)
- How do I use a vending machine ?
- I purchased some clothes, but all I see is a box. How do I wear the clothes ?
- How many items are there ? Why do I have to pay for them?
Are you NPCs or advanced AIs?
Most avatars you'll meet in SL are really humans. There are a few (so called Bots) which aren't human, but they are usually quiet and just standing around. Some very rare AIs can be found, but they won't be able to hold up a meaningful conversation.
Help! This isn't me! This is some shiny cloud!
Don't worry! You're probably on a bad connection, or eventually on a very very slow sim. All avatars derive from a "common" polygon mesh, and the "standard" avatar, which for some reason is called "Ruth". Just wait a bit and you should return to "normal" as soon as your SL client loads the proper settings.
If this is taking a *long* time, I'd advise you to relog. Sometimes, changing avatars when the update is taking too long is worse! (you might be able to fool the system and get all your avatars mixed up)
A quick way to fix this without restarting is to enter "edit appearance". The menu will behave as if you've made changes and will prompt you to save when you close it. DO NOT HIT SAVE. Instead, when it prompts you to save say NO.
- These are Residents who contributed to the original documents this article was source from before the Second Life Wiki was created.