Release Notes for v5.1.0 (504536) - Second Life Viewer
This project rebuilds the viewer using 64bit address space. It is our hope that this will improve viewer stability, allow you to use more of the memory in your system (if you have more than 4GB), and possibly also improve performance.
This release has not yet been extensively tested; we are making it available somewhat earlier in the development cycle than usual so that you can help us find any subtle problems and measure the effect on viewer crashes.
There is no Linux viewer yet.
However, there are two Windows viewers, a 32-bit build and a 64-bit build. At present, you must choose the correct one for your system:
- If you use an HD 2000 or 3000 series video card on Windows 10, choose 32 bit
- Otherwise, choose the one that matches your copy of Windows (if your computer can run 64bit, and most can, you will get better performance and fewer crashes running a 64 bit Windows and Viewer).
One peculiarity with supporting two Windows builds is that until we fix our automated update machinery (coming soon!), it will update your 64-bit Windows viewer to a 32-bit viewer. Irksome as that is for the time being, it's better than the alternative, unconditionally updating every Alex Ivy Windows viewer to 64 bits -- presumably some users _cannot_ run a 64-bit viewer. Again, this will be fixed before we go to Release Candidate.
The Mac build has several known limitations:
- We no longer support 32-bit Macs
- We do not yet have a Havok build for 64-bit Mac.
- You will not be able to visualize pathfinding paths.
- You may not be able to upload mesh assets.
- Video media (QuickTime) usually does not play (the media handling is now the same as the Windows viewer).
The Windows build does not run on Windows 8.1 (64 bit). This is being tracked in MAINT-7131
This new build resolves some crashes, including a frequent crash on exit, fixes a number of other bugs, and updates all of the media handling.
- MAINT-4744 Update Mac viewer to libc++ instead of libstdc++
- MAINT-5365 Windows viewer uninstall icon is system default not SL logo
- MAINT-6116 On CEF viewers, the console window that opens on top of the world view should be hidden.
- MAINT-6379 Remove support for RC4 from Mac internal browser
- MAINT-6995 [Project Alex Ivy] Changing login location at the login screen crashes the viewer
- MAINT-6998 [Project Alex Ivy] 64bit viewer installs to Program Files (x86) by default.
- MAINT-7027 Mac 64bit viewer code signing failed
- MAINT-7038 [64 bit] mac viewer sends wrong info to updater service
- MAINT-7044 64bit viewer always runs with console window in Win OS
- MAINT-7045 Calculate weights & fee button grayed out in Upload Model floater on OS X
- MAINT-7047 No information about 32bit or 64bit version of 'Project Alex Ivy' viewer in non-English locales
- MAINT-7054 [Project Alex Ivy] Viewer Crashed when I used Japanese IM.
- MAINT-7080 [Project Alex Ivy] World view tinted blue when ALM is disabled after update to Nvidia driver 378.49 on any 64bit viewer
- MAINT-7130 [Project Alex Ivy] Viewer-188.8.131.522616 Shows Extra debug Info in Licenses Tab of About Second Life floater.
- MAINT-7177 [Alex Ivy] crash on exit
- MAINT-7201 [Project Alex Ivy] Can't change an avatar via "Avatar" window on the left toolbar
- MAINT-7202 [Project Alex Ivy]Unable to use Login page web content destinations to log to it.
- MAINT-7203 [Project Alex Ivy]Viewer does not connect to the Facebook
- MAINT-7220 [Project Alex Ivy] Windows Error Message 'SLPlugin.exe has stopped working ' appears.
- MAINT-7227 [Project Alex Ivy] Drop down lists do not close after use in internal web browser
- MAINT-7236 [Alex Ivy] Web content does not always respect UI Size preference
- MAINT-7242 Update viewer64 to KDU 7.9.1
- SL-619 Incorporate support for 64bit symbol dumps into the 64bit build process
- SL-620 Upgrade KDU to version v7_9
- SL-640 Fix keyboard code in macOS 64 bit CEF media plugin
- SL-641 Update CEF -> cef-bin -> Dullahan -> p64_3p-Dullahan -> media_plugin_cef.cpp to "latest" version
- SL-643 viewer_manifest.py still tried to copy the CEF file wow_helper.exe but it's no longer present
- SL-644 Add a guard to mCount in llrender.cpp
- SL-646 Fix ”LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/INCREMENTAL' due to '/LTCG' specification” in LibVLC, JPEGLIB etc.
- SL-648 Extraneous compiler options output when building on Windows
- SL-649 Messages on macOS 64 version about libraries built for earlier version of macOS
- SL-653 Remove unused third party packages from autobuild
- SL-656 CEF Helper app (DullahanHelper.app) shows icon in dock on macOS
- SL-658 Use build settings from viewer-build-variables repo for p64_3p-dullahan