Simulator User Group/Transcripts/2012.11.09

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.11.06 Next 2012.11.13

List of Speakers

Andrew Linden Ardy Lay Baker Linden
Chieron Tenk hedeoliver Resident Inara Breen
Jonathan Yap Kennylex Luckless MartinRJ Fayray
Motor Loon Nalates Urriah Rex Cronon
SonicAnd Miles Sonya Haight TankMaster Finesmith
Theresa Tennyson Tiberious Neruda Vincent Nacon
Yuzuru Jewell

Transcript

[16:02] Ardy Lay: Hello

[16:02] Baker Linden: YAY ANDREW

[16:02] Motor Loon: ey Andrew

[16:02] Tiberious Neruda: nope. Andrew's shown up

[16:02] Sonya Haight: hmm they are playing hookie for the last meeting?

[16:02] Sonya Haight: ah nm

[16:02] Rex Cronon: hello everybody

[16:02] Andrew Linden: Hello

[16:02] MartinRJ Fayray: Hello Andrew

[16:02] Baker Linden: Simon is on vacation for a few days

[16:02] Baker Linden: I'm not sure where kelly is

[16:02] hedeoliver: ol

[16:02] hedeoliver Resident: "hello",[["","Hello"],["interjection","hello","hi","hoy"]]

[16:03] Ardy Lay: This is the only remaining meeting that doesn't conflict with my work schedule.

[16:03] Andrew Linden: Yeah, Simon is out today, so it looks like it is just Baker and me.

[16:03] Ardy Lay: In the past there were more.

[16:03] Tiberious Neruda: and I've brought up sensible objection to location of the Thursday meeting

[16:04] Baker Linden: so I don't have much news today. Actually, I don't have any news today. Just working on moving some more rezzing code to background threads to hopefully speed up rezzing of objects

[16:04] Tiberious Neruda: may find that attendance doesn't improve much

[16:04] Andrew Linden: Yeah well that brings me to the main announcement today... we're planning on closing this Friday meeting.

[16:04] Ardy Lay: I live in USA so I am working when the rest of the meettings are held and cannot attend them.

[16:04] Vincent Nacon: hmm strange

[16:04] Andrew Linden: So this is going to be the last Friday Simulator User Group.

[16:05] Nalates Urriah: bummer...

[16:05] Rex Cronon: from now on only tuesday?

[16:05] Vincent Nacon: but Tuesday still stand?

[16:05] Tiberious Neruda: already been told that. Saying it's being merged in with the Thursday one over on beta

[16:05] Vincent Nacon: ah ok

[16:05] Motor Loon: Any official reason, or are we just to make up our own gossip?

[16:05] Vincent Nacon: come on Motor.... it's fun to make gossip anyway

[16:05] Sonya Haight: we are very good at it

[16:05] Andrew Linden: Tuesday's Simulator User group will remain

[16:06] Vincent Nacon: alrighty then

[16:06] MartinRJ Fayray: What is the focus of the new merged thursday meeting? Only things related to server beta?

[16:06] Andrew Linden: and some of the usual Linden attendees of this Friday meeting will probably be attending the Thursday afternoon meeting on the beta grid semi-regularly.

[16:06] Andrew Linden: Basically, the idea is to combine some of the topics of this meeting with Thursdays.

[16:07] Motor Loon: well, thats something atleast

[16:07] Tiberious Neruda: ....I've just said that I doubt the Thursday meeting's attendance will improve

[16:07] MartinRJ Fayray: That's a good thing. Yes

[16:07] Andrew Linden: The impetus for these changes are a combination of things...

[16:07] Tiberious Neruda: 'cause of the hassle with switching grids for just that hour

[16:08] Tiberious Neruda: curious to know if there's a reason it needs to be on beta grid

[16:08] Andrew Linden: (1) Sticking around late on Fridays when we'd rather leave early, or take the day off for a long vacation has been a slight burden over the years. Not a big one but it has certainly crossed our minds.

[16:09] Tiberious Neruda: logical

[16:09] Andrew Linden: (2) Oskar's departure left a little bit of vacuum on Thursday afternoons.

[16:09] Vincent Nacon: yeah doesn't seem reasonable to have two a week when you should have once a month anyway!

[16:09] Motor Loon: certainly a mild way of putting it

[16:09] Andrew Linden: So, the question was raised: close Thursday? or maybe close Friday instead?

[16:10] Andrew Linden: Also, the usefulness of two Simulator User Groups per week was brought up over the years.

[16:10] Andrew Linden: We always defended the two meetings because we think they are valuable.

[16:10] Tiberious Neruda: ...dumb question: couldn't the time be kept but the location moved to here?

[16:10] Ardy Lay: You said it was so people in different timezones could attend.

[16:10] Andrew Linden: Originally these meetings were created for the Havok4 physics engine upgrade

[16:11] MartinRJ Fayray: Since kelly's was closed too, this is the only UG where we can ask about lsl related topics

[16:11] Nalates Urriah: Getting the latest on the decision of which RC was likely to roll was nice.

[16:11] Andrew Linden: and I wanted to make myself available to concerned residents

[16:11] SonicAnd Miles: Good Times... Havok4 -hehe

[16:11] Andrew Linden: and I didn't want to have a single time that might be timezone unfriendly to half of our community

[16:12] Kennylex Luckless: There is to few Lindens in the "Linden" vilage, move all meetings here.

[16:12] Andrew Linden: I think I opened Fridays first and then decided on Tuesdays for the European crowd.

[16:12] Tiberious Neruda: ...I remember Havok1, when you could make a prim that shot off when it hit something

[16:12] Andrew Linden: Yeah, those were some very crashy days Tiberious.

[16:12] Tiberious Neruda nods

[16:12] Tiberious Neruda: to this day, -never- mention the pokemon Mew around Luskwood...

[16:13] Andrew Linden: Anyway, that's the history of why this meeting was created.

[16:13] SonicAnd Miles: I remember seeing some people in the news from sl

[16:13] Andrew Linden: Originally it was "Andrew's Office Hours" and we had lots of office hours open.

[16:13] Vincent Nacon: fewer meeting, more work!

[16:13] MartinRJ Fayray: Will there be a chance to catch someone for lsl related issues?

[16:13] MartinRJ Fayray: With the new calendar

[16:13] Vincent Nacon: wasn't that Kelly's meeting?

[16:14] Sonya Haight: yeah those were good times, plenty of communication when they were called office hours and the wiki had a full list of times and dates

[16:14] Kennylex Luckless: Yes it was

[16:14] Vincent Nacon: or was he fired too?

[16:14] Andrew Linden: MartinRJ, I think the Simulator User Group is the best forum for bringing up LSL issues.

[16:14] Tiberious Neruda: it -would- be Nyx's... but that's become mesh

[16:14] Nalates Urriah: Kelly folded his meeting into this one.

[16:14] Vincent Nacon: ah ok

[16:14] Andrew Linden: Kelly is still around, but I think they closed the Script User Group for low attendance, and he wasn't actually working on the script engine much at that time.

[16:14] Vincent Nacon: merge merge Merge!

[16:15] Andrew Linden: So, Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons on the beta grid will now be the main places to bring up LSL issues.

[16:15] Vincent Nacon: sounds good

[16:15] Andrew Linden: If Kelly isn't around we can relay questions to him later if we don't know the answers.

[16:15] Tiberious Neruda: Tuesday here?

[16:15] MartinRJ Fayray: Thanks

[16:15] Andrew Linden: Yeah, Tuesdays will remain here.

[16:15] Tiberious Neruda: or are both on beta

[16:16] Andrew Linden: Dunno how the transcript publications will work out. I'll have to coordinate with Maestro.

[16:16] Theresa Tennyson: It does make sense to have server development people at the server beta meeting, too.

[16:16] Andrew Linden: Tuesday will be here on agni.

[16:16] Tiberious Neruda: my question: What's the reasoning behind having the meeting on beta grid?

[16:16] MartinRJ Fayray: Maestro seems to have immense knowledge about lsl. So I am totally fine with that:-)

[16:16] Andrew Linden: Thursday afternoon (15:00 SLT) will remain on beta.

[16:16] Ardy Lay: Good bye then. That puts the meetings out of my reach.

[16:16] Andrew Linden: The main focus of the Thursday meeting will remain the beta grid and up and coming changes.

[16:16] SonicAnd Miles: testing stuff tiberious

[16:17] Motor Loon: The last 20 betagrid meeting I've been at could just aswell have been held on maingrid...

[16:17] Andrew Linden: But I believe Simon will be trying to attend the Thursday meetings too.

[16:17] Andrew Linden: I'll try to attend, and maybe some of the other LL devs.

[16:18] TankMaster Finesmith: there was a good turnout of lindens yesterday

[16:18] Nalates Urriah: Maestro said he was going to try and get more of the server dev's at the meeting.

[16:18] Andrew Linden: Yeah, I attended yesterday but then got interrupted in RL and had to walk AFK.

[16:19] Andrew Linden: Other news... my interestlist work...

[16:19] Vincent Nacon: interestist?

[16:19] Andrew Linden: I solved the main performance issue that I've been struggling with for the last week...

[16:19] Andrew Linden: yeah, I've been working on cleaning up and fixing the interestlist

[16:19] Andrew Linden: which is what we call the code on the server that figures out what is in view and sends the various updates to the viewer

[16:20] Sonya Haight: can you fix it again and tell it to put one of my sims back on the world map?

[16:20] Andrew Linden: In the Develop menu you can enable some particles that will show you where the interestlist updates are coming in...

[16:21] Andrew Linden: Develop Menu --> Show Info Sub Menu --> Show Updates to Objects Option

[16:21] Vincent Nacon: ah

[16:21] Andrew Linden: If you enable that you'll see some blue, red, and green particles that show up spatially where the ObjectUpdates are arriving.

[16:22] Andrew Linden: Red means "full" update: when an object first arrives, or when some misc property changes.

[16:22] Motor Loon: hm not much... I'd have thought alot more data would be comming all the time

[16:22] Andrew Linden: Blue means "terse" update: change in object position/rotation/velocity, or a change in face color.

[16:23] Motor Loon: so how come Tank is updating all the time, and I'm not?

[16:23] Andrew Linden: Green means the object is no longer in the interstlist, which means it was deleted, or it was just dropped from the list (culled)

[16:23] Sonya Haight: more hair probably

[16:23] TankMaster Finesmith: o0

[16:23] Vincent Nacon: because Tank is awwesome! :P

[16:23] Theresa Tennyson: Tank's more interesting *giggle*

[16:23] TankMaster Finesmith: ^

[16:23] Motor Loon: you're so laggy tank...

[16:23] TankMaster Finesmith: thx!

[16:23] Motor Loon sticks tongue out

[16:23] Andrew Linden: The constant updates mean that he's got some script that is constantly changing some visible parameter

[16:24] Andrew Linden: such as floating text, scale, or some other property

[16:24] TankMaster Finesmith: no...

[16:24] TankMaster Finesmith: just a AO

[16:24] Motor Loon: I dont see anything on him moving so... wasted info?

[16:24] Rex Cronon: so if your script changes texture that forces updates of object that is in?

[16:24] TankMaster Finesmith: ive got some scritps I can't get rid of that only change the color of the object via the hud

[16:25] Nalates Urriah: Does the FS Bridge generate and update?

[16:25] Andrew Linden: Yes, changes of texture, texture parameters, color, etc

[16:25] Andrew Linden: will cause updates

[16:25] Sonya Haight: its red too, he needs ritalin

[16:25] Andrew Linden: The blue updates are relatively cheap.

[16:25] TankMaster Finesmith: no, bridge is created at login

[16:25] Andrew Linden: Red updates are more expensive.

[16:25] TankMaster Finesmith: and if it were, ithers herew ould be updating the same

[16:25] Tiberious Neruda: hmmm

[16:25] Theresa Tennyson: Tank and Jen are updating constantly.

[16:25] TankMaster Finesmith: others here would*

[16:25] Tiberious Neruda: how bad is that?

[16:26] Motor Loon: flexiprims would cause it right?

[16:26] Motor Loon: I mean wouldnt

[16:26] Andrew Linden: Anyway, my work on the interestlist is an effort to improve the code that figures out what updates to send, when to send them, and how to sort them.

[16:26] Tiberious Neruda: as far as updates

[16:26] Ardy Lay: We still get updates about blocked avatars

[16:26] Andrew Linden: It isn't a major overhaul, so the gains I'm expecting might not be very big

[16:26] Andrew Linden: but it looks like I've got some gains

[16:27] Andrew Linden: perhaps next Thursday we can do a pile-on or a demonstration of the new interestlist code.

[16:27] Motor Loon: and the problem of e.g. die-packets not getting to the viewer with reliability?

[16:27] Andrew Linden: Motor, lost packets is a problem for the interestlist

[16:27] Motor Loon: yeah, so that should improve a bit too?

[16:28] Andrew Linden: one of the things I'm going to do next is to try to make the green packets (KillObject) sent reliably.

[16:28] Motor Loon: ok

[16:28] Andrew Linden: Which should reduce or eliminate some of the "ghost objects" that vanish when you select them

[16:28] Motor Loon: yeah, I hate those

[16:28] Sonya Haight: are we supposed to be seeing green anywehre?

[16:28] Andrew Linden: you know, those objects that were deleted a while ago but for which their corresponding KillObject packet was lost.

[16:28] Vincent Nacon: yes... grass are green

[16:29] Sonya Haight thumps Vincent

[16:29] Vincent Nacon: :)

[16:29] Andrew Linden: Sonya, not green particles except for when an object is deleted, or falls out of view.

[16:29] Sonya Haight: ahh ok, can you delete Motor real quick so I can see?

[16:29] Tiberious Neruda: o.o

[16:29] Motor Loon: nooo

[16:29] TankMaster Finesmith: huimm , still updating like made with the fs bridge detached

[16:29] Rex Cronon: there seems to be an algorithm that can generate lost packets...

[16:29] Ardy Lay: Why are there so many object update particles rising from 0,0?

[16:29] Andrew Linden: So if you're flying away from a pile of objects looking back, you should eventually see some green particles show up when they go out of view.

[16:29] Sonya Haight: what version fs Tank?

[16:29] TankMaster Finesmith: 4.3.0

[16:30] Andrew Linden: Ardy, those <0,0,0> particle updates are actually on attachments

[16:30] Andrew Linden: the viewer does not properly transform those particles to the proper world location

[16:30] Sonya Haight: mine is much older and I have the bridge attached

[16:30] Andrew Linden: it is a viewer bug

[16:30] Andrew Linden: well, the particle updates are a viewer debug feature

[16:30] Ardy Lay: debug-bug

[16:30] Ardy Lay: Fun

[16:30] Andrew Linden: yeah buggy debug option

[16:30] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is half over

[16:31] Kennylex Luckless: Btw, is there any way to block this kind of "Mega Marquee", even you block a person you can see them.

[16:31] Andrew Linden: What is a "Mega Marquee"?

[16:32] Kennylex Luckless: It is a wery anoying thing you can see several sim away

[16:32] Vincent Nacon: the hover text that Delustionalist had?

[16:32] delusionalist: more importantly, there are people hacking voice so that we cant mute them when they blast music and scream and stuff

[16:32] Kennylex Luckless: The fireman had one

[16:33] delusionalist: it's the same as any titler in SL

[16:33] Kennylex Luckless: Yes, hovering text on a mega prim a user where, efect is that you see it on a veru long distance

[16:33] MartinRJ Fayray: That's all viewerside

[16:33] Vincent Nacon: sounds like using mega prim to get the hover text appear from long distance I believe

[16:33] Motor Loon: its because you had the debug function active Kenny... often after use of those, hovertexts no longer go away with distance

[16:33] Andrew Linden: I still don't understand what it is. A very big object with hover text?

[16:33] Andrew Linden: I thought the viewer actually attenuates hover text based on distance

[16:34] delusionalist: no it's not a mega prim

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: Andrew, the distance on how Hover text appear is based on the size of the prim

[16:34] Andrew Linden: Oh hrm...

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: but

[16:34] Rex Cronon: so because the objejct is mega that forces the text above to show even if is very far away?

[16:34] Andrew Linden: yeah that would be a viewer-side problem

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: the mega prim can be trimmed down with profile cut and dimple and hidden in alpha

[16:34] Kennylex Luckless: Go to hubs in Zindra, they do advertise them there.

[16:34] Nalates Urriah: Hover text is messed up in the Development viewer. You can get hover text from regions 100+ meters away.

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: while maintaining the scale of mega

[16:34] Andrew Linden: Hrm...

[16:35] delusionalist: it's no mega prim tho it's fairly small

[16:35] Andrew Linden: the viewer could just not allow (or not send) hover text on objects of a certain size

[16:35] Chieron Tenk: some upper limit on hvertext visibility distance would be meaningful then

[16:35] Andrew Linden: does it even make sense for regular useful content to have hover text work on mega?

[16:35] Vincent Nacon: nope

[16:35] Andrew Linden: ... probably someone is using that as a feature

[16:36] Andrew Linden: if I nerfed it I'd probably get someone complaining

[16:36] Vincent Nacon: hmm...

[16:36] Andrew Linden: er... I'd probably get some non-griefer complaining

[16:36] Rex Cronon: maybe the user can choose whether or not hover text works on mega at a specific distance?

[16:36] Vincent Nacon: I think majority would be happy that if you nerf it

[16:36] Andrew Linden: about how their marquee in their private island suddenly stopped working

[16:36] Kennylex Luckless: There it is

[16:36] Rex Cronon: let user choose to use it or not

[16:36] MartinRJ Fayray: Hehe

[16:36] Vincent Nacon: and yeah, you are using mega prim for it

[16:37] Motor Loon: actually the viewer should just not render hovertexts attached to a blocked avatar...

[16:37] Kennylex Luckless: Ctrl-alt-t to see the invisible prim

[16:37] Vincent Nacon: I can see it in alpha mode

[16:37] delusionalist: it's only a bit longer than the floor where standing on

[16:37] delusionalist: thats not mega

[16:37] Motor Loon: well, its certainly big

[16:37] Tiberious Neruda: and it -does- poof aftr a little bit

[16:37] TankMaster Finesmith pulls out his 65535x65535 prim

[16:37] Andrew Linden: Oh, is it the blinking "Vote" on the fireman?

[16:38] delusionalist: yea

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: yup

[16:38] Tiberious Neruda: but it is a bit on the obnoxious side

[16:38] Andrew Linden: Ok that looks pretty annoying. That is done via llSetText()?

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: it's using Block character to make that message

[16:38] Motor Loon: FIrestorm derender seems to fix it

[16:38] delusionalist: aren't most titlers obnoxious?

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: yes

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: and outdated

[16:38] Kennylex Luckless: Even you mute folks have those they are visible

[16:38] Tiberious Neruda: ...point well made

[16:38] delusionalist: so you wanna ban all titlers?

[16:38] Andrew Linden: We should try to fix that viewer side first.

[16:38] Ardy Lay: We still get updates about blocked avatars

[16:38] Motor Loon pats Tank's head for derender

[16:39] Tiberious Neruda: ...discourage their use, at least

[16:39] Chieron Tenk: no, but lower obnoxiousness?

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: not bad, just give it nice limitation

[16:39] Andrew Linden: A viewer-side fix would allow residents to enable/disable it.

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: or control, viewer wise

[16:39] Kennylex Luckless: No, I want them not to show on users I has mute, no ban for them.

[16:39] Jonathan Yap: Not display hover text for muted avatars?

[16:39] Ardy Lay: Maybe something like MiniMapPrimMaxRadius?

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: just disable on mute

[16:40] Andrew Linden: Right, muting hover-text should help.

[16:40] delusionalist: there will always be things that people find obnoxious, but the best plan imho is like he said fix it so that people vccan easily mute it viewer side

[16:40] Motor Loon: agree

[16:40] TankMaster Finesmith: baker's group list loading code still slated to go out next week?

[16:40] Vincent Nacon: and maybe a distance slider?

[16:41] Andrew Linden: Good question TankMaster, lemme look at the plan for next week...

[16:41] delusionalist: geez, i find 50% of the avatars on SL obnoxious lol

[16:41] Vincent Nacon: so you don't have to mute your "stupid" friends ;)

[16:41] Jonathan Yap: Vincent: Oz and I have worked on 3 different ways to have a distance slider but so far none have been approved

[16:41] MartinRJ Fayray: Hehe

[16:41] Andrew Linden: Yeah, it looks like Magnum channel will be promoted to the main channel next week

[16:41] Vincent Nacon: in that case, slap them till they approve!

[16:41] TankMaster Finesmith: ok

[16:41] Andrew Linden: which includes Baker's code for large groups.

[16:42] Rex Cronon: u just need a textbox for user toenter value

[16:42] Kennylex Luckless: I never mute stupid folks, I often only mute advertising bots in welcome hubs and vampires.

[16:42] Tiberious Neruda: just send an army wearing those totlers he had on

[16:42] Andrew Linden: What is currently on BlueSteel and LeTigre will also go to Magnum

[16:42] TankMaster Finesmith: more brakage for phoe next week then :P

[16:42] Andrew Linden: so all three RC's next Wednesday will get the same update.

[16:43] Tiberious Neruda: if that don't convince 'em, doubt little will

[16:43] Theresa Tennyson: When do you think the interest list will be on an RC?

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: if all fail, slap`em some more

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: no one like getting slapped anyway

[16:43] Andrew Linden: Theresa, my hope would be to wrap it up for QA early next week.

[16:43] delusionalist: it would be great if there was an option to completely mute all invites ie: TPs, Groups, etc and also mute Conference calls

[16:44] Andrew Linden: If I could do that then it might go through QA over next weekend and then be in the queue for RC

[16:44] TankMaster Finesmith: I thought it was funny that a thread poped up on SLU about us not supporting phoe anymore just because a lot of really really old phoe jiras were closed as won't implment

[16:44] Ardy Lay: Log out? ;-)

[16:44] Tiberious Neruda: ...like that's news?

[16:44] Andrew Linden: since all three RC channels are getting the same code next week, that means the queue for RC is pretty empty

[16:44] Rex Cronon: there would be lot less work if the viewer allowed plugins/addons...

[16:45] Andrew Linden: however, we've got a No Change window coming up later this month for the US Thanksgiving holiday

[16:45] delusionalist: for example everytime im in safe hub i get offered green mouse and invited to some group that costs $999L

[16:45] Theresa Tennyson: Region crossing isn't as hateful as I thought it would be if you're on a road instead of the ground.

[16:45] Vincent Nacon: I know this isn't the mesh meeting but can someone update me on Mesh Deformer?

[16:45] Tiberious Neruda: yeah, that's ridiculous

[16:45] Tiberious Neruda: someone tried sending me a group invite that cost 9,999

[16:45] TankMaster Finesmith: mesh deformer status" its still under development

[16:46] Andrew Linden: So, the earliest the interestlist code could be up in RC would probably be Nov 27th.

[16:46] Theresa Tennyson: Safe hub = pre Giuliani Times Square.

[16:46] Andrew Linden: What is phoe?

[16:46] Vincent Nacon: basically the same status since Spring

[16:46] Nalates Urriah: For news on the Deformer look at: http://blog.nalates.net/tag/deformer/

[16:46] Vincent Nacon: ah thanks

[16:47] Tiberious Neruda: wouldn't that be Phoenix Viewer?

[16:47] Theresa Tennyson: Phoe = Phoenix viewer, Andrew.

[16:47] Andrew Linden: ah ok thanks. I was not hip to that lingo.

[16:47] Tiberious Neruda: old v1 client people cling to...

[16:47] Motor Loon: grins

[16:47] TankMaster Finesmith: heh, sorry for not being more specific :P

[16:48] Theresa Tennyson: Oz is discussing having everyone show up to his Wednesday meeting using the deformer test viewer.

[16:48] TankMaster Finesmith: but yeah, its still the second most used viewer to

[16:48] Tiberious Neruda: can't you put out a MOTD for PH saying that the only update is to FS?

[16:48] TankMaster Finesmith: we may

[16:48] TankMaster Finesmith: there should be a blog soon about phoe anyway

[16:49] Tiberious Neruda: it's past time

[16:49] TankMaster Finesmith: ^

[16:49] SonicAnd Miles: i use default viewer :p

[16:49] Theresa Tennyson: If Tank was into that kind of punishment he'd be somewhere on Zindra right now.

[16:49] TankMaster Finesmith: LL's V3 is the third most used viewer

[16:49] Motor Loon: I finally convinced my damn redhead wifey to upgrade from Phoenix the other day... that was a massive task indeed and came with a whole lot of whining...

[16:50] Tiberious Neruda: though I don't know if I'll be making the beta grid meetings...

[16:50] Sonya Haight: she will switch back if you don't make her delete Phoenix from her computer totally

[16:50] SonicAnd Miles: they should outlaw 1.x viewers :p

[16:50] Tiberious Neruda: ...just cut 'em off the grid totally

[16:51] TankMaster Finesmith: lol

[16:51] Rex Cronon: lol. hold you horses

[16:51] Theresa Tennyson: You'll end up in a cage match with the "We should boycott mesh" group.

[16:51] Sonya Haight: anyone know how long a map takes update? new snapshot or whatever you want to call it?

[16:52] Rex Cronon: why would u want to inflict such cruel and unusual punishment on everybody:)

[16:52] MartinRJ Fayray: How bout a little iframe next to the login button that informs phoenix users that they should switch to a newer version:-)

[16:52] Tiberious Neruda: if those people walk, they won't be missed

[16:52] Andrew Linden: Sonya, the map tile should update daily

[16:52] Tiberious Neruda: we've had mesh for more than a year now

[16:52] Andrew Linden: I think the map generation starts sometime after midnight every day

[16:52] Sonya Haight: my main sim has been off the map since Tuesdays rolling restart

[16:52] Andrew Linden: and is not complete until later in the morning

[16:52] Sonya Haight: I've placed a platform at 250, even that hasn't showed up

[16:52] Andrew Linden: Sonya, which region is that?

[16:52] Sonya Haight: sunny point

[16:53] TankMaster Finesmith: I thought the images were taken at 150m

[16:53] Andrew Linden looks on the map...

[16:53] Sonya Haight: should be ocean with one dot on it at the moment

[16:53] Vincent Nacon: yeah I thought it was 150m too

[16:53] Tiberious Neruda: if they refuse to update, well, don't let the door hit 'em, I say

[16:53] Sonya Haight: well 3 dots now

[16:53] Motor Loon: interesting

[16:53] Sonya Haight: nah thinks show up below 400 I think it is

[16:53] Sonya Haight: things*

[16:54] Sonya Haight: I've restarted it a couple of times since Tuesday too

[16:54] MartinRJ Fayray: Restarts wont work

[16:54] Sonya Haight: oops on Tuesday after rolling restarts I mean

[16:54] Theresa Tennyson: I think the cutoff is right about at the top of the Eiffel Tower in 1900 Paris

[16:54] Jonathan Yap: You are saying SUnny Point has no land mass now?

[16:54] Theresa Tennyson: I'm seeing just the name and na couple of peopledots.

[16:55] Sonya Haight: yah but its was going all blinky when I stood on teh sim next door Martin, thought I would try it

[16:55] Jonathan Yap: I see a map

[16:55] TankMaster Finesmith: I see gray people

[16:55] MartinRJ Fayray: Lol

[16:55] Sonya Haight: Sunny Point is there, people are tping in fine, but the land is not showing on teh world map Jonathan

[16:55] Kennylex Luckless: :-)

[16:55] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is almost over

[16:56] Jonathan Yap: I see the road going in from the other regions etc

[16:56] Andrew Linden: Yeah, you're right. It isn't on the map.

[16:56] Sonya Haight: you see it?

[16:56] Jonathan Yap: yes

[16:56] Sonya Haight: the actual land?

[16:56] Jonathan Yap: but, I am probalby using the UDP version of the map viewer

[16:56] MartinRJ Fayray: I don't see it

[16:56] Andrew Linden: So the map update job is not running or is not completing.

[16:56] Rex Cronon: we just entered the twilight zone...

[16:57] Ardy Lay: Is it missing at all zoom levels?

[16:57] Sonya Haight: well kick something Andrew and make it work

[16:57] Sonya Haight: yes seems so

[16:57] Andrew Linden: Sonya, I don't know why it isn't on the map, but I'll ask around at LL later to see if anyone else knows what is up.

[16:57] Sonya Haight: I have played with other sims that are poofing at different levels Ardy, but this one is just gone gone

[16:57] Theresa Tennyson: I think it was yesterday that I saw the weird missing stripes on the map that happened a couple of months ago.

[16:58] Jonathan Yap: Andrew, my old V1 viewer is showing the map

[16:58] Sonya Haight: ok thanks Andrew

[16:58] Andrew Linden: Sonya, whatever I learn, I'll send you an IM.

[16:58] Sonya Haight: thanks

[16:58] SonicAnd Miles: rebake the terrain :-/

[16:58] Sonya Haight: might have to

[16:58] Jonathan Yap: Maybe it is a bad cache entry for the http map server or something

[16:59] Ardy Lay: Tile got generated. The cloud fails yet again.

[16:59] Tiberious Neruda shrugs

[16:59] Andrew Linden: No, I think the map should regen daily, no terrain rebake required.

[16:59] Jonathan Yap: what if you zoom out 1 level, do you see it?

[16:59] Sonya Haight: no, not there at any zoom level

[17:00] Andrew Linden: I wonder if the V1 viewer is using an old map tile.

[17:00] TankMaster Finesmith: latest phoe I think uses the http map

[17:00] Andrew Linden: I can't remember how the V1 map tile generation is different from the new one.

[17:00] Tiberious Neruda: I see the sim to its west, but not that one

[17:00] Sonya Haight: I am on the old fs, darn and tossed out phoenix so cant' try that

[17:00] Meeter: Thank you for coming to the Server User Group

[17:01] Andrew Linden: Well, even if a V1 map works, there is a problem with the map tile generator.

[17:01] Kennylex Luckless: Yw Meeter.

[17:01] Ardy Lay: 020d89ab-b256-fa25-2b56-919ae1cba220

[17:01] Jonathan Yap: Map failure using Radegast, too

[17:01] Theresa Tennyson: There was a time when the world map was missing long vertical stripes a couple of months ago for a while - I noticed that happening again yesterday or the day before.

[17:02] Andrew Linden: Yeah Theresa, I heard about that. There is more than one failure mode that can cause that.

[17:02] Andrew Linden: I was wondering if that event was related, but I'll have to ask around.

[17:02] TankMaster Finesmith: someone mooned the camera, and it broke

[17:02] Sonya Haight: probably was me, took extra long on that restart

[17:02] Andrew Linden: I've been very much focused on this interestlist work so I haven't been paying attention to most other issues.

[17:03] Andrew Linden: I should repeat: this is the last Friday Simulator User Group meeting.

[17:03] Object: Hello, Avatar!

[17:03] Andrew Linden: We'll continue to meet on Tuesdays (12:00 SLT)

[17:03] Sonya Haight: yeah thats it

[17:04] TankMaster Finesmith: thanks for all you lindens do for us

[17:04] Andrew Linden: and we'll also cover some of the simulator issues in the Thursday afternoon (15:00 SLT) meeting on the beta grid (in Morris).

[17:04] TankMaster Finesmith: hope everyone has a good weekend

[17:04] Andrew Linden: Thanks for coming.

[17:04] Sonya Haight: thats not a new map picture though or it would show the platform and other stuff I put in the sky Tuesday night

[17:04] Rex Cronon: tc all those leaving

[17:04] Nalates Urriah: sunny point is not showing up in maps.secondlife.com...

[17:04] Theresa Tennyson: Ooo, you could have a crappy sim and put giant tiles above it making it look cool...

[17:04] Rex Cronon: and have a nice day:)

[17:04] Inara Breen: Thank you as always, Andrew

[17:04] Baker Linden: Thanks for coming everyone! See you Tuesday!

[17:04] Ardy Lay: Sonya, that's dated Fri, 9th Nov 2012

[17:04] Jonathan Yap: Thank you Andrew

[17:04] Sonya Haight: thanks Baker and Anderw

[17:05] Inara Breen: Cheer,s Baske!

[17:05] Sonya Haight: Andrew*

[17:05] MartinRJ Fayray: Bye Andrew

[17:05] Nalates Urriah: Thx Lindens

[17:05] Vincent Nacon: take care

[17:05] TankMaster Finesmith: lol, so I wonder if LL will have an official release with baker's code before his code hits all the servers...

[17:05] Yuzuru Jewell: Thank you, Simon and Baker.



Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.11.06 Next 2012.11.13