"When money is paid to the object, the money is given to the objects owner." --TxMasterG Ping 17:07, 16 April 2007 (PDT)
Can you pay a HUD?
If so, how? :)
Gwyneth Llewelyn 02:03, 10 March 2009 (UTC)
- What are you trying to do? Attachments like HUDs cannot be owned by anyone except the wearer. And HUDs can only be seen by the owner. So paying a HUD would be paying yourself. But I think that HUDs are part of the no-attachment rule. --Maike Short 19:57, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
- Presumably Gwyn is trying to develop a pay-as-you-go HUD, whereby the HUD requests PERMISSION_DEBIT on state_entry(), then tosses money paid into the HUD via the money() event to a hard-coded or dynamically populated key.
- Yes, you would be effectively paying yourself, but it does seem like a useful means of remotely authorising a payment to a 3rd party.
- The current UI doesn't seem to make it possible- I would advise poking around Imprudence or #opensl to see if this is prevented at the protocol level or not. If not, then you're just a patch away from having :-P
- SignpostMarv Martin 20:22, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
- Marv has it exactly right. This is precisely what is being developed for a RL customer of mine: a way to use a HUD to access their webservices, which require pre-payment. One option is to do the pre-payment on an in-world ATM, of course. The other, far more convenient, is to use the HUD (which will give access to the webservices anyway) and pay to it directly. Sadly, this means dropping the HUD on the ground and paying to it, which is, well, plain stupid — specially because most users will rarely be on places where they can do this conveniently (providing a "sandbox" area for safe dropping of HUDs would be a mess — it would be better to use an ATM, if people are forced to go to a specific location).
- Also, we definitely cannot force all users of this customer to switch over to Imprudence or any specially-hacked SL client that allows this. So I guess that we'll have to do two things: allow HUDs to be paid when dropped on the ground _and_ set up ATMs all over the place. Messy and inconvenient, but, alas, we have all to deal with the crappy way money transfers are implemented in SL :)
- And anyway, there is already a JIRA for this :)
- Gwyneth Llewelyn 10:57, 16 April 2009 (UTC)
Is it possible to call a payment from a script ?
I understand that it is not possible, but what I mean is to let somebody tuch an object, display a menu and one item will be "PAY". So only after this menu item is selected I want to invoke payment process. It seems to me it is not possible, but if there is a way to do it plse let me know.Martinek Martinsyde 17:09, 5 February 2011 (PST)