User talk:SignpostMarv Martin/twitbots/slOfficeHours
How to add suggestions
If you want to leave a comment / start a discussion about the twitBot, please operate as follows:
- Press the edit tab on top of the page. (You may need to log in to edit.)
- Scroll down and start a new topic using: == Name of the topic ==
- Write your questions/suggestions and sign it with four tildes: ~~~~ (or the signature button ). These will automatically be converted into your username and a timestamp.
- Preview the page and save it if you're comfortable with it.
- If you want to answer to a persons posting you can scroll behind the posting, hit enter to start a new line and begin it with a colon (:). It will be displayed as an intended line then.
- If you want to answer to an answer, please write multiple colons in the beginning of the line.
This bot is telling folks I'm having office hours when I am not
I've been getting pinged by folks who think I am having office hours when I am not. They are getting this information from http://twitter.com/SLOfficeHours. My office hours are on Tuesdays and Fridays (see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Pathfinder_Linden/Office_Hours), but today (Wednesday) the bot tweeted that I was having an office hour from noon to 1pm. Can you fix this please? Pathfinder Linden 20:46, 8 July 2009 (UTC)
- I've changed the algorithm that the twitBot uses to select which OHs to tweet- the previous one always seemed to shift out of sync by itself, though this time it was tweeting 2 days in advance :-s
- SignpostMarv Martin 00:17, 9 July 2009 (UTC)
I'm glad to see this. Three things:
- Please don't use "SLT". It's officially deprecated. Use "Pacific Time" or "PST/PDT" as-appropriate. And place a space like this: "PDT @ "
- Use a different icon, the current one infringes on LL trademarks.
- If you could use an URL-shortening service with metrics like tr.im, that'd be even better.
I will wait for this to mature before highlighting it further, but it's a good start. - Torley on 2009-03-02 @ 8:13 AM PST
- This is a simple fix- the PDT/PST string replacement is done on the wiki side of things :-)
- I suck at graphics design, I'll poke around for help on this.
- I had thought about doing that- There's a bunch of code in the twitBot for abbreviating things so that the tweets will fit into the 140 character limit. I suppose it depends on how important it is for the url *not* to be hidden from view.
- SignpostMarv Martin 00:42, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- I've put together a functional icon :-P
- I've implemented an URL shortening services on marvulous.sl that only accepts domains operated by Linden Lab :-)
- SignpostMarv Martin 11:46, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Does the bot take into account meetings that only happen say, once a month, or every other week? Drew Dwi 16:20, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- The bot is relatively dumb. It checks for all events occurring in the next 12 to 17 minutes (to account for any time differences in the execution of scripts, server settings etc.).
- For monthly or fortnightly meetings, the wiki templates would need to be modified to not use the hCalendar class attribute values whenever the meeting wasn't occurring, then the iCal feed generated by Technorati and the slOfficeHours twitbot would automatically act accordingly, since as far as they're concerned, the events wouldn't exist when the hCalendar class attribute values aren't there.
- SignpostMarv Martin 19:14, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
I see, I think there's a bug also, or maybe i'm confused on how the timezones work...
Andrew, 12-1pm @ http://marvulous.sl/8 Technical issues, SL architecture, physics engine. SL Office Hours Apr 28 2:45 pm
But his office hours run 11am-12pm... Drew Dwi 19:31, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah, that was a bug- its already been reported.
- SignpostMarv Martin 14:49, 30 April 2009 (UTC)