Difference between revisions of "KB2/Sharing inventory items"
m (1 revision: Porting KB2 working drafts to public wiki)
Revision as of 14:25, 25 October 2010
Giving an object
There are several ways you can transfer objects from your Inventory to another Resident. Residents do not need to be on your friends list; however, the object does need to have transfer permissions.
You can send items to any Resident in Second Life®. They don't have to be on your Friends list, but it does make it easier. You can access someone's profile several ways:
- Right-click on someone in front of you and choose Profile
- Use the Search window's People tab to look up their name
Once a profile is open, find the Give item field that says "Drop inventory item here" at the bottom of the Profile window.
- Click-and-drag an item from your Inventory to their profile. The cursor changes to an arrow with a plus.
- Let go of the mouse button when you're ready.
You can also do this with a Resident who's not online, in which case it says "User not online - inventory has been saved."
If you're within view of the other Resident, drag the object from your Inventory onto the avatar or the avatar's name tag.
|Important: Using this method of object transfer could result in you dropping the object on the wrong avatar, especially in crowded areas. This method always leaves potential to drag your object and miss the intended avatar, putting your object into inworld content.|
Beginning with Second Life viewer version 1.21, it is possible to transfer inventory using an IM window. Drag the object from inventory into the open IM chat bar.
- When attempting to drag a folder to IM chat, a "NO" symbol appears. It is possible to drag single items to IM chat.
- This option is not available for group chat.
Received Inventory Options
By default, your inventory window will open when you accept an object being sent to you. You can turn this feature off by going to Edit> Preferences > Popups tab. Uncheck Automatically show newly accepted objects in inventory.
Options for Offers of notecards, textures and landmarks can also be found on the Preferences Popups tab:
Automatically view after accepting.
How many items can I send to someone at once?
Currently you may send a maximum of 42 objects at once. This number includes sub-folders and excludes IM window transfer.
It's easy to trade and share inventory items in Second Life.
Finding what you want to give
- Open your Inventory by clicking the Inventory button at the bottom of your Viewer window.
- Scroll or search for the item you want to give someone.
|Note: If an item is marked (no copy), you'll lose ownership of the item if the other Resident accepts the transfer. Related, if an item is marked (no transfer), you'll be unable to give the item to other Residents.|
Giving to someone nearby
- Drag the item from your inventory onto the other Resident's avatar.
If they accept your offer, you'll see a notification in the lower-right.
Giving through an Instant Message session
If you have a one-on-one Instant Message session open with a Resident, whether they're a friend or not:
- Drag the item from your inventory onto the IM session window. It says "Inventory item offered".
|Note: You can only give single items or 42 or less items in a folder, and this doesn't work with group IM sessions.|
|Warning: This video has an error, you can't give multiple items at once.|
Giving to someone remote
If the other Resident is a friend
- Click Communicate button at the bottom of your Viewer window.
- Choose Contacts tab, and click Friends tab if it isn't already selected.
- Click a friend in the list and click click Profile button.
- Drag the item from your inventory onto the other Resident's profile. It can be dragged anywhere, not just where it says "Drop inventory item here."
Similarly, if the other Resident is in your Calling Cards folder but isn't a friend, you can double-click their calling card to show their profile, then do the above steps.
If the other Resident isn't a friend
- Click Search button at the bottom of your Viewer window.
- Choose People tab.
- Enter the Resident's name and click Search.
- If there's more than one match, click them in the list. Their profile appears on the right.
- Drag the item from your inventory onto the other Resident's profile.