Knowledge Base and the Community Platform
Knowledge Base now on the SL Community Platform
The official SL Knowledge Base is now on the Second Life Community Platform, along with forums, blogs, and SL Answers. Moving forward, this will be the primary place to find documentation, help, and information on Second Life. For more information, see Knowledge Base Questions and Answers.
The documentation team moved many articles from the wiki to the Community Platform, and set up redirects to their new locations.
The KB articles remaining on the wiki are now part of the Extended Knowledge Base intended to supplement the core official KB.
As time permits, we will review these articles to determine whether they should stay on the wiki or move to the new loation:
- Information of general interest to all users will move to the Community Platform.
- Specialized, highly technical information, or topics of interest to only a few Residents will stay on the wiki in the Extended Knowledge Base.
- Articles that address official policy issues will remain on the wiki in the "Linden Lab Official" namespace.
- Articles that are outdated will be archived or deleted.
For details on the migration project, see Knowledge Base Migration to Community Platform and LLO Article Survey for Community Platform Migration.
The wiki abides!
The Second Life Wiki will continue to be an important resource, for information such as:
- Extended Knowledge Base
- Linden Lab Official information including the Official Information and Policies Portal
- Viewer Help content
- Community-sourced information including the Community Resources Portal
- LSL, Snowstorm, and much more.
Extended Knowledge Base
- Documentation for prerelease "beta" features (such as mesh import) that are not yet part of the main SL Viewer release.
- Advanced, specialized, or highly technical information left over from the old Knowledge Base.
- Official policy and product information in the "Linden Lab Official" namespace (see the next section).
The Linden Lab Official namespace
The "Linden Lab Official" namespace contains policy and service articles that aren't open for editing because of legal or other reasons. Residents can be assured that information on these pages reflects the official policy of Linden Lab. Each article in this namespace will have a header and footer that makes this status clear.
Thus, we're using the flexibility of the wiki to offer both many pages that can continue to be contributed to by Residents like you, and some that shouldn't be. Learn more about namespaces.
Other (largely community-driven) information on the wiki includes:
- Second Life Viewer Release Notes and Category:Server Release Notes.
- LSL documentation, including language and function references.
- Other developer documentation such as that for APIs, advanced content creation, and the like.
- Information on Viewer open source project, including Project Snowstorm.
- Transcripts of user group meetings.
- Additional Resident-created information that is not suitable for the Knowledge Base.