Linden Lab Official:Contribution Agreement
|Important: Please print and fill out the official PDF document to execute this agreement. Follow the submission instructions in the PDF. This wiki version does not include the form fields to fill in; it is provided to make the document more easily accessible (and provides a history of how the agreement changes on the rare occasions when that happens). If you have questions about these terms, please contact us at email@example.com.|
Thank you for your interest in the Second Life Viewer open source project. This document clarifies the terms under which You, the person listed below, may contribute software code, documentation, or other material described below (the “Contribution") to the Second Life Viewer project managed by Linden Lab (the “SL Viewer Project”).
You and Linden Lab agree:
1. "Contribution" means any source code, object code, patch, tool, sample, graphic, specification, manual, documentation, email, comment, posting, communication or any other material posted or submitted by you to the SL Viewer Project.
2. You hereby assign to Linden Lab joint ownership in all worldwide common law and statutory rights associated with the copyrights, copyright applications and copyright registrations in Your Contribution, and to the extent allowable under applicable moral laws and copyright conventions, You agree never to assert against Linden Lab or its licensees or transferees any moral rights therein. You understand that (a) this agreement may be submitted by Linden Lab to register a copyright in Your Contribution, and (b) Linden Lab may exercise all rights as a copyright owner of Your Contribution, including enforcement against infringers. Both You and Linden Lab shall be able to do all such things in relation to Your Contribution as if each were respectively the sole owners of the copyright and all other relevant intellectual property rights therein. Neither party has any duty whatsoever to consult with, obtain the consent of, pay or render an accounting to the other party for any use or distribution of a Contribution or derivative work thereof.
3. You hereby grant to Linden Lab, and to any party who receives Your Contribution, a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, no-charge, royalty-free, license under any patents owned by or licensable by You at any time without payment to third parties, to make, have made, use, sell, offer to sell, import and otherwise transfer Your Contribution in whole or in part, alone or in combination with or included in any product, work or materials arising out of the SL Viewer Project, and to sublicense the foregoing rights to third parties through multiple tiers of sublicensees or other licensing mechanisms at Linden Lab's option.
4. Except as set forth above, You retain all right, title and interest in and to Your Contribution and may use Your contribution for Your own purposes. The assignment and licenses granted above are effective on the date You first submitted a Contribution to Linden Lab, even if such submissions preceded the date below.
5. You represent and warrant that You are legally entitled to grant the above assignment and licenses. If Your employer has rights to intellectual property that You create, You represent that You have received permission to make the Contribution on behalf of that employer, or that Your employer has waived such rights for the Contribution. You represent and warrant that the Contribution is Your original work of authorship, and to the best of Your knowledge, does not violate any other party's copyrights, trademarks, patents or other intellectual property rights, and that no other person claims, or has the right to claim, any right in any invention or patent related to the Contribution.
6. You understand that the decision to include the Contribution in any product or source repository is entirely that of Linden Lab, and this agreement does not guarantee that Your Contribution will be included in any product.