Bakes on Mesh
Bakes on Mesh is a new feature to allow system avatar baked textures to be shown on mesh attachments. Currently you will need a special project viewer to use it. Bakes on Mesh also requires updates to the simulator, baking service and inventory service to support the new universal wearable type, so it will only work in some regions on some grids: currently everything is enabled in the "Bakes on Mesh" region of Aditi. Creating universal wearables will be disabled if you are in an unsupported region.
- Any face of a mesh object can be textured using one of the server baked textures.
- The corresponding region of the system avatar is hidden if an attached mesh is using a baked texture.
- 5 new bake channels - leftarm,leftleg,aux1,aux2,aux3. You can use the new bake channels on face of a mesh
- A universal wearable type
- New tattoos for universal wearable type -
HEAD_TATTOO, -> baked to head
UPPER_TATTOO -> baked to upper
LOWER_TATTOO, -> baked to lower
SKIRT_TATTOO, -> baked to skirt
HAIR_TATTOO, -> baked to hair
EYES_TATTOO, -> baked to eyes
LEFT_ARM_TATTOO, -> baked to leftarm
LEFT_LEG_TATTOO, -> baked to leftleg
AUX1_TATTOO, -> baked to aux1
AUX2_TATTOO, -> baked to aux2
AUX3_TATTOO, -> baked to aux3
- Avoid the need for appliers -> easier customization workflow
- Avoid the need for onion avatars -> fewer meshes, fewer textures at display time
- Avoid the need to sell full-perm meshes. You can customize any mesh you have modify permissions for simply by setting the flags and equipping the appropriate wearables.
Avatar wearables are baked into eleven different textures (BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR, BAKE_LEFTARM,BAKE_LEFTLEG, BAKE_AUX1, BAKE_AUX2, BAKE_AUX3) by the baking service. You can now apply these textures to your avatar’s object attachments' diffuse texture slot. Right click on the attachment, click edit and from the edit face menu select textures. Click the diffuse texture icon to open up the texture picker. The texture picker has an extra radio button mode called 'bake' for selecting server bakes. The 'bake' radio button mode has a dropdown for selecting BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR, BAKE_LEFTARM, BAKE_LEFTLEG, BAKE_AUX1, BAKE_AUX2, BAKE_AUX3 server bake textures. When an attachment is using a baked texture, the corresponding base mesh region of the system avatar is hidden.
If a mesh face is set to show a baked texture but is not attached to an avatar, you will see a default baked texture. If you are using an older viewer without bakes on mesh support, then faces set to show baked textures will also display as the default baked texture, and base mesh regions will not be hidden.
The new bake channels and tattoos can be tested on "Bakes on Mesh" region on Aditi.
This release contains the following known issues:
- SL-1519 Add default textures to Bakes on Mesh
- SL-9727 The Bake texture on linked objects is shown with a delay of 5-7 seconds when linked objects are added from the ground