User talk:Biancaluce Robbiani
30 things ...
Hi Biancaluce! :-)
I noticed your article 30-things-every-newbie-should-know-before-starting-second-life and got a couple remarks on it. First of all: Did you check back with the creator of the original post if it's OK to republish the article here? In case you did and she's OK with it:
- The articlename mentions "30 things..." but contains about 41 items. Therefor, the name should be somehow changed. Maybe just in "Things a new Resident should know before joining Second Life".
- The articlename gives the impression that the article contains stuff you need to know before you join SL. That fits for the first items, though not anymore for the later. They contain camera tips and this kind of stuff that might be useful once you joined SL, but not before. Maybe we should remove them / place them somewhere else?
- I removed the Knowledge Base (KB) categories, since it's not a KB article. These are currently reserved for articles imported from the original KB, in context of the KB2Wiki Pilot. However, I added Help Portal categories instead.
- The article would either need to be moved in a private userspace or the first part ("A capable resident put...") would need to be removed so others don't fear they'd edit someones property when they edit, add or remove items. This is covered via the Point of View chapter in the editing guidelines.
Hi Zai, I am waiting a response from Mar (the blog author), since she gave me permission to publish it on my personal blog once. But she is always responding with some delay. My concerns are as follow: I will remove for now the post, because of the lacking of Mars approval and because it seems very difficult to keep it here. You are right it is not a KB article but it should be in some way. As per your mentoring you know that the article says a lot of useful things for newcomers, especially for those non speaking english, preparing them without scaring. But, I repeat myself, you are right. My attempt was to help users retainment after signups but this is not the place. Let me know what you think. Thanks Biancaluce Robbiani 17:59, 30 July 2009 (UTC)
- Heyas :-)
- Sorry, I messed up one item in my previous post since I used the wrong markup for my links. It's fixed now. What I wanted to write was: Removed KB categories but added Help Portal categories. The Help Portal is the Resident created counterpart to the Linden Lab created KB. Maybe these will merge one day. I hope for it. Anyway: the article would be available via the Help Portal and therefor (hopefully) findable for help seeking new Residents.
- Yes, I can see that such an article would be useful and would really welcome it to be available somewhere here in the Wiki, when the author is fine to release it under the Wiki's conditions. She will need to know that once it's posted here, people are free to change it. It won't be 'her' article anymore, but be public property. That is nothing to be afraid of, though. We're speaking of improvement, rather than deconstruction. =)
- Greetz, (talk|contribs) 00:20, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- It will still be 'her' content, but she won't be in control of it's fate. It sounds good to be the soul person in control but in 10 years do you still want to be coming back to it and updating it? How about 20 years? If you deed the content to the community this way, you and the community can maintain it when ever you want to. If it is still relevant in 20 years, even if you have moved on with your life, it can still be alive; living on in the minds of others, growing in their hearts, and being kept relevant. Your ideas need not be butterflies pinned in boxes, never to live again; set them free, let the community keep them alive until the copyright runs out and they slip into public domain. What better testament then to have one's ideas and creations live on long after we are gone?
- I love it when you talk Error creating thumbnail: convert-im6.q16: delegate failed `'rsvg-convert' -o '%o' '%i'' @ error/delegate.c/InvokeDelegate/1928. convert-im6.q16: unable to open file `/tmp/magick-15176E15SBSTYfX3g': No such file or directory @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/600. convert-im6.q16: no images defined `PNG:/tmp/transform_cb7b948d58d0.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3258.Copyleft like that ↑ (♥.♥) -- (talk|contribs) 15:17, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- I love it when you talk