"MMOX is an effort to collect best practices and develop consensus based standards for virtual world and MMO interoperability. The email@example.com mailing list is for technical discussions related to this objective and for coordinating administrative details of upcoming meetings." -- IETF MMOX listinfo
This page is intended as a useful container for gathering together links to MMOX resources.
Please expand it with other relevant links that could be helpful. (Don't lose any links. :P)
MMOX mailing list and other communications
Please note that all communications performed under the aegis of an IETF workgroup (this includes IETF email and Jabber) are logged and are permanently visible to the public. They are also considered "IETF Contributions", and as such are subject to the IETF rules on IPR Disclosure. Please read the relevant documents in the IETF Information section below to know what this means.
IETF Jabber Chat logs
MMOX In-World Chat logs
Note that only "special" transcripts which include non-SL/Opensim participants are linked here.
Links to the weekly SL+Opensim chat logs are maintained under AW Groupies Chat Logs.
Official IETF74 BoF materials
- IETF74 Meterials -- full set, search for "MMOX"
- Apparea MMOX Intro -- MMOX Background and Approaches, by David W. Levine, 30pp
- MMOX BoF Agenda -- chaired by Meadhbh Hamrick and Barry Leiba
- MMOX BoF Chair slides -- general introduction, focus on goals, 22pp
- LLSD and OGP in 5 minutes -- a few bullet points setting LLSD and OGP in context, 7pp
- OGP Introduction -- well illustrated presentation of OGP concepts, 34pp
- LESS - Live Entity State Stream -- VW Interoperability: Inclusive Integration across technologies, 8pp
- Models for Virtual World Interaction -- short review of alternative models, 10pp
- Virtual World Interoperability Use Cases -- rejects interop between OGP and LESS models, proposes WG split, 9pp
- X.509 Issues -- managing trust domains in VW interop with X.509, 6pp
IETF74 and MMOX BoF Communication resources
- Patnad's 3-grid MMOX interop chatbridge (SL, OSgrid, ReactionGrid), requires registration for access
- Latha's post on IETF74's audio streams, and M3U playlist for all IETF74 streams
- Icecast streams: Continental 1-2 (MMOX), Continental 3, Continental 4, Continental 5, Continental 6
- Icecast streams: Imperial a, Imperial b (Apparea)
- Icecast streams: Franciscan a
MMOX drafts and working documents
MMOX Workgroup Charter Drafts
- MMOX WG Charter draft #1 -- marked as "Out of date, see mailing list"
- MMOX WG Charter draft #2
- MMOX WG Charter draft #3
- MMOX WG Charter draft #4
- Summary of charter-related threads and posts leading up to draft #4
- MMOX Problem and Scope statement, IETF draft -- not expressed as a charter, but defines same ground
MMOX LLSD Drafts
- Pre-MMOX: (Second Life) LLSD Specification
- Pre-MMOX: (Second Life/Opensim) OGP/LLSD Draft 3, W.I.P.
- MMOX IETF draft: MMOX LLSD draft #0
MMOX Protocol Proposals and MMOX IETF Draft Protocols
In order of appearance on MMOX list: (Note that there is no current working name for an extensible MMOX Protocol).
- Proposal: (Second Life/Opensim) OGP Draft 3, W.I.P., OGP Document Links page
- Proposal: MXP: a universal Metaverse eXchange Protocol and MXP wiki
- Proposal: Live Entity State Stream (LESS) Protocol
- MMOX Protocol IETF draft: Live Entity State Stream (LESS) protocol -- Aka. "LESS"
- MMOX Protocol IETF draft: Open Grid Protocol: Foundation -- Aka. "OGP Base"
- MMOX Protocol IETF draft: Open Grid Protocol: Authentication -- Aka. "OGP Auth"
- MMOX Informational IETF draft: Virtual Presence Identity -- Aka. "Weblin VPI"
- MMOX Protocol IETF draft: MMOX Architecture Discussion -- Problem spaces and architectures
- MMOX Informational IETF draft: MMOX Use Cases -- JWatte on Use Cases
Post-BoF Proposals and Materials
- Proposal: Loosely Coupled Virtual Worlds -- client-centric approach to interop, OGP-compatible
Unavoidably, these reflect personal interests, but feel free to add your own to the set.
- Introduction, from Chairperson -- purpose and goals
- Introductory words, from Area Director -- IETF perspective
- MMOX Charter, Scope, Activities, from Chairperson -- a visionary synthesis
- MMOX: Strawman scope/goals/approach -- extended analysis of MMOX issues, IETF draft
- MMOX List moderator and participation info -- clear statement by AD on participation
- Taxonomy of topics -- statement by Infinity that the intention of MMOX was to create an OGP standard
- Taxonomy of topics, thread -- examination of the implications of Infinity's post / group split
- Chartering for requirements only -- follow up on the proposal for MMOX + OGP group split
- MMOX Progress Tracking -- review of recent draft-centered activity @ 2009-Mar-4
- Debunking "Universal Client" -- also explains why generic clients are completely inevitable
- Managing model mismatches -- methods for achieving interop despite model mismatches
- Scalability considerations / BCP95, BCP22 -- IETF statements on scalability, relevance to MMOX
- 3-world OGP interop scenario -- description of an OGP-based interop scenario over 3 virtual worlds
- Decomposition of teleport into its essential components -- details how teleport is applicable to all VWs
- Creating walled gardens considered harmful -- a plea to avoid non-interop segmentation under MMOX
- James Kempf's horrifying (but entirely plausible) scenario -- should we abandon MMOX?
- "I don't know what OGP is", by Diva Canto -- eye opening post from key Opensim developer
- Unifying object execution models -- requirement to support both local and remote execution models
- Exposing regions -- requirement that exposing implementation of regions not be mandatory
- Avatar diversity -- requirement for transport of avatar visual information between virtual worlds
- Hierarchical objects -- mentioned in passing in MMOX, needs a formal requirement expressed
- A Mission Statement for the IETF -- requirement for scalability, wide deployment, interoperation
- Interop Metrics and MMOX Goals -- quantifying the interoperability requirement as a metric
- Trust Agreements vs Secure Data Transfer, prev -- replacing security theater by actual security
- Decoupling Asset Storage -- asset storage/inventory needs to reflect the diverse origins of objects
- Basic region requirement to support portals -- this also allows user-defined region adjacency
- IETF Pre-WG Efforts -- MMOX BoF is registered for Timeframe IETF 74 (SF)
- IETF "NoteWell" Instruction -- Defines IETF Contributions
- Overview of the IETF -- Ties IETF Contributions to RFC 5378 & RFC 3979
Virtual worlds with known/expected interest in interop
In alphabetic order:
- Forterra OLIVE -- Commercial VW, contact active in MMOX, see interopworld, telemetry
- OpenCroquet -- Open P2P virtual world SDK, contacts active in MMOX, see Croquet-base Cobalt VW
- Opensim -- Open community VW compatible with Second Life, contacts active in MMOX
- Project Darkstar, and worlds based on this infrastructure, eg. Wonderland -- no current contact
- Qwaq -- Croquet-based VWs for business, contacts active in MMOX
- RealXtend Project -- Extended viewer and Opensim platform, NG project, contacts aware of MMOX
- Second Life Largest current VW, Linden Lab + IBM founded MMOX
- Solipsis -- P2P virtual world, contact active in AW Groupies
- Weblin -- Web-based avatar-oriented chat world, IETF draft, contact active in MMOX
MMOX Chairs and IETF Contacts
The contact addresses given here are those already made public here.
- Meadhbh S. Hamrick -- MMOX Chair
- David Levine -- MMOX Chair
- Lisa Dussealt -- Area Director
- Chris Newman -- Area Director