From Second Life Wiki
Revision as of 01:12, 1 February 2012 by Typhaon Nishi
This page links to tools & tutorials for making clothing and skins Please add your fave tuts, remove obviated bits, and improve the usefulness of this resource!
- Linden body and clothing templates, for eyes, head, face, hair, upper and lower body, skirt; templates as TGA with instructions as PDF; 7 MB
- Chip Midnight's improved clothing templates, ZIP of 512x512 PSD files for head, upper and lower body, skirt; 10.7 MB
- Second Life avatar meshes in .obj and .cr2 format, includes assets to preview the avatar in Poser, SLCP, Photoshop Extended, etc.
- Improved Second Life avatar meshes for 3D texture painting - By Chosen Few. These OBJ files feature cleaned up geometry and proper UV tilings, for painting textures directly onto the models, in Mudbox, Zbrush, Photoshop Extended, etc.
- Higher Resolution Clothing & Skin Templates - By Chip Midnight. These templates are even higher-rez than the official ones. Chip Midnight is an original master of fine fashions in SL. Once you get really serious about detail, you’ll want to get these and have a deep look. (Note: The higher resolution is just to help you with your creation work in your paint program. They won't affect the resolution of your in-world clothing and skins. All outfit textures in SL are baked at 512x512 when worn on the avatar, no matter what. So, don't forget to downsize your output files to 512x512, before you upload them to SL. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting resources.)
- Avatar Databank is an extended alternative avatar mesh library that includes all avatar extremes (fat, skinny, etc...). Models are in AC3D and .obj formats with .png format 1024x1024 texture templates. For the very advanced clothing and make-up designers.
- Second Life tutorials - By Robin Sojourner AKA Robin Wood. She has a really elegant, organized approach. Check out her fantasy art as proof! She’s mentioned that she’ll be adding more to this site, so keep watching, and check out her posts on the forums too, like her fab T-Shirt Template — learn how to make wrinkles without photo-sourcing! Download also her UV templates.
- Second Life Clothing Tutorials - By LeeZu Baxter. The creator of [LeeZu!] Designs, LeeZu Baxter offers step by step tutorials to assist new builders as they face the challenges of creating their own original designs.
- Second Life Clothing Tutorials - By Minmo Dreadlow. A Simple tutorial on how to create a t-shirt using photoshop, or turn your own clothing into secondife clothes with photoshop. Offers several free shirt fabrics as well.
- Tutorials - By Nicola Escher. The presentation of these tuts is aesthetically pleasing. These have been newly updated for ‘07, and are also available in German, Dutch (Nederlands), Chinese, and Norwegian translations. Nicola says: "I’ve got Spanish and Italian on the way." Very easy to follow, effectively illustrated. These elegant episodes include:
- Tattoo Creation - By Amber Stonecutter. Tattoos may be likened to clothes that are harder to take off, at least offline. The magic unfolds in this thread. Amber had never made a tutorial before, and in response to Flugel inquiring, she spontaneously cooked one up — pictures and all! She even got props from Chosen and Robin.
- Natalia's SL Diary - By Natalia Zelmanov. A listing of over 30 tutorials from her blog, including clothing, hair, jewelry, particle, shoes, and techniques. Here are some highlights:
- How to make SL clothes in the Gimp - By Seshat Czeret. The first installment of a series of SL clothing tutorials, each linked to the next. The series starts with preparation, and continues with making a simple t-shirt and adding highlights and shadows. It explains why you do each step, as well as how.
- Also see The Theory of Second Life Skin and Clothing. This is useful regardless of which image program you use.
- Cassie Clowes Clothing Videos - By Cassie Clowes. Read the FAQ regarding information. Video tutorials that are high quality and with clothing templates (socks, tshirts, pants, etc)
- Random Rambling, Tips & Tricks - By Claire Hartford. Sporadically updated blog with tutorials for clothing (and skin) creation. Of particular note is the video tutorial on the use of Multi Chan Hax.
- Make clothes with gimp - By Surfaqua Oh Several tutorials to learn to make clothes with the Gimp. The tutorials are in French, easy to follow and well illustrated and download free template.
- Guide to Making Second Life Clothing - By Chimera Firecaster. Nicely presented, Chimera's site includes a number of fully illustrated, well researched, and up-to-date tutorials. Complementing the tutorials are free packages composed of useful tools, templates and graphic files. Also found on the site are annotated lists of SL clothing resources found elsewhere on the web.
- SL Clothes Creation: The Basics (Feb 2012) - By TD Templates. An introduction for beginners providing an overview of the basics when creating SL clothing and starting your fashion store in Second Life.