Pathfinding Quick Start Guide
Full Pathfinding tools information can be found here.
A quick guide to Good Building Practices can be found here.
Find helpful Pathfinding scripts here.
For those on regions switched to Pathfinding code! You will need to use the linkset tools to change the pathfinding attributes of the objects on your region to improve region performance!
By default, all object are set to Moveable Obstacle (except terrain). You will need to set walls, trees, fences, etc to Static Obstacle. Set floors and other areas that need to be walkable to Walkable.
Don't forget to click apply! Then FREEZE your changes for the navigation mesh to update.
- Terrain is, by default, set to walkable.
- All objects that you want pathfinding characters to walk upon, will need to be set to walkable in the Linkset tools window. Build > Pathfinding.
- You will need to Unfreeze before you can make any linkset changes to objects. Basic Setup > Unfreeze.
- You will need to have full permissions to the object to view them in the Linkset window.
- Pathfinding Character orientation will always be positive X.
- All objects that are NOT going to be set to walkable should be set according to need:
Walls, fences, trees, gates etc. - Static Obstacle
Movable doors, swinging gates, scripted moving objects that pathfinding characters cannot pass through - Movable Obstacle
Objects that you want ignored by the pathfinding characters - Movable Phantom
Avatars can move through or on, pathfinding characters cannot (this is also good for trouble spots where characters consistently get stuck) - Exclusion Volume
- Remember to Apply your linkset object attributes, or the setting won't stick.
- Freeze your changes (edit/test window) to queue the regeneration of the navmesh and "bake" in the changes you have made. The text will change to "Navmesh is up to date" when it's finished.
- Use the Show: navmesh tick box (and the world tickbox) to view the navmesh wireframe and see where you may need to make changes. If you have aqua/blue wireframe lines, you have walkable areas.
- To see the full navmesh you will need to remove all HUD's and untick 'world' (in some pathfinding clients).
For the beta you'll need to disable objects that change scale, volume parameters, or positon/rotation of child prims to get acceptable sim performance. For help tracking down problems use:
- Estate tools: Get top colliders and Get top scripts.
- Pathfinding Linkset tools: search for the name of the object and teleport to it, take, delete, take copy, or turn on a beacon.