User:Nyx Linden/Office Hours Agenda
Nyx Linden's Office Hours Agenda
Office hours are on Wednesdays at Noon in Pacific time (SL standard time) located in Borrowdale at: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Borrowdale/74/217/32
Topics are focused on avatars, content creation efficiency, content creation tools and methods, rendering issues, and many related random topics.
Please add topics for discussion / agenda items to the end of the list below prior to 11:50 AM. Priority will be given to topics that are posted in advance and are relevant to the goals of the office hour. Feel free to include relevant links to JIRA or wiki pages. Contact Nyx Linden if you are unsure if your topic is relevant or appropriate.
Archived agendas can be found at the agenda archive.
Next meeting scheduled for: September 22, 2010.
September 22, 2010
- Workflow flaw: I have an outfit 'basic body' (containing shape/skin/eyes/hair), an outfit 'huds' with all the HUDs, and then any number of 'clothing' outfits. Now to dress the avatar, I replace whatever I wear with 'basic body' and then add 'huds' and the clothing on top. When trying to update the outfit now I can either 'save', which will save ALL the stuff to 'basic body'. That's bad. Or I can 'save as'. But when entering the name of the clothing set I added last, before adding/removing single pieces, that outfit is not overwritten but the client is saving a second outfit with the same name. Both ways are rather ugly.
- Workflow flaw: to remove an item from an outfit you have to switch from "My Outfits" sidebar tab to "Inventory", why not allow removing items on the Outfits tab?
- Script Limitations - any further developments?
- Possible system skirt improvement with current avatar mesh? (Not my thing, but may be of interest.) Qie 16:42, 20 September 2010 (UTC)
- Mesh instancing: If I make a zillion copies of a mesh, will they all share the same model asset, such that the model is only downloaded and decoded by the viewer once? Qie 17:47, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
- Mesh animation: Assuming the above-mentioned model asset exists, will a script be able to change the model in a rezzed mesh object to achieve the kind of "animation" that we get by swapping sculptmaps? (Or is some other form of mesh animation supported?) Qie 17:47, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
- Inworld mesh tool makers demand official mesh sample files so they may fairly compete with each other at having a mesh exporter working first, instead of relying on what the beta testers are sharing with some and not others. This is important in the RL rent-paying level so competition should be encouraged to be fair.
- Simple question: Will we be able to make avatars larger and smaller than the current SL avatar if we use the same joint layout?
- People are sad that they are restricted to default avatar skeleton when rigging meshes :(