2015 Faboolous Second Life Halloween Snapshot Contest Rules
The Second Life 2015 Fa-BOO-lous Snapshot Contest
Official Rules and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
The Second Life 2015 Fa-BOO-lous Snapshot Contest (the “Contest”) is organized by Linden Research, Inc., (identified in more detail in Section 11 herein) (the “Sponsor” or “Linden Lab”).
1. DURATION. The Contest begins at 10:00am PDT October 15, 2015 (the “Start Date”) and ends on 5:00pm PST November 12, 2015 (the “Deadline”).
2. ENTRY. Participants must have active Second Life® accounts prior to their participation in the Contest.
The Contest is looking for snapshots of avatars (solo or with other residents) in a Halloween theme within Linden Lab’s 3D virtual world Second Life. To create an entry, participants must:
- Take a snapshot of their avatar in a Halloween theme within Second Life.
- Access the Contest landing page located at https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-2015-Fa-BOO-lous/con-p/Second_Life_2015_Fa-BOO-lous_Snapshot_Co and log in to the Second Life community forum with your Second Life account.
- Upload and submit the snapshot between the State Date and Deadline.
All submitted snapshots must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The snapshot must be consistent with a General rating in accordance with Second Life’s Maturity ratings guidelines.
- The snapshot must be submitted in a valid .jpg, .jpeg or .gif format(s) no larger than 20MB.
- The snapshot cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means.
- The snapshot must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
- The snapshot must not disparage Sponsor, or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest;
- The snapshot must not contain brand names or trademarks other than those of the Second Life universe;
- The snapshot must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The snapshot must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The snapshot must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where snapshot is created.
Snapshots that comply with the above guidelines will be referred to as “Entries.” You may submit one (1) Entry. Entries that do not conform to these Official Rules and Conditions will not be accepted.
Entries generated by any means that violate Linden Lab’s Terms of Service are void. Uploading an Entry constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submission in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Entries; all of which will be void.
In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the entrant associated with an Entry, and in the absence of convincing evidence to the contrary, as determined by Sponsor, the authorized Second Life account holder used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned to the email address used to register for the Second Life account by an Internet Service Provider. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
A. To be eligible to enter the Contest, as of the time you submit your Entry, you must:
1. Be at least eighteen (18) years of age. If you are a minor in your jurisdiction (but in no event shall you be under thirteen (13) years of age), you must provide the Entry as set forth under Section 1 (above) with your legal guardian’s approval and you must provide written approval of your entry to the Contest, and consent to these Official Rules and Conditions by your legal guardian. This written approval shall be provided within fourteen (14) days from your receipt of such request by the Sponsor;
2. Have a Second Life® account, Internet access, an email account and access to a personal or tablet computer;
3. Not have won a prize from Linden Lab within the last twelve (12) months; and
4. Be a legal Second Life resident.
Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prizes).
B. Employees of the Sponsor and/or its subsidiaries, agents, or affiliates, and any family members and/or household members of these employees, are not eligible to enter the Contest.
4. SELECTION OF WINNING ENTRIES.
A. Determination of Winner. The winner will be determined as follows:
- All Eligible Entries will be posted to a gallery on the Second Life community forum, located at https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-2015-Fa-BOO-lous/con-p/Second_Life_2015_Fa-BOO-lous_Snapshot_Co/tab/entries (the “Gallery”). Registered users on the Second Life community forum (each a “Voter”) will vote for their favorite Entry between 5:00pm PST November 12, 2015 and 5:00pm PST November 26, 2015. Limited to one (1) vote per Voter.
- Using alternate Second Life accounts and/or exercising undue influence to obtain votes, including but not limited to, purchases and/or bribery, is strictly prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entries in its sole discretion.
- Eligible Entries will be judged by the number of votes received in the Gallery. The entrant whose Entry receives the most votes shall be the First Prize Winner, the entrant whose Entry receives the second-most votes shall be the Second Prize Winner, the entrant whose Entry receives the third-most votes shall be the Third Prize Winner, and the entrants whose Entries receive the fourth-most votes shall be the Third Prize Winner (each a “Winner” or collectively “Winners”).
- Limited to one (1) prize per entrant.
- In the unlikely event of a tie, Sponsor’s representatives shall break the tie in their sole discretion.
B. Notification to Winner. Winners will be notified by private message by no later than 5:00pm PDT December 6, 2015.
C. Any and all decisions of the Sponsor’s representatives, including those of the judges, shall be final and binding in all respects.
A. Description of Prizes.
- Grand Prize – 10,000 Linden Dollars (estimated value at US$40.00).
- First Prize – 5,000 Linden Dollars (estimated value at US$20.00).
- Second Prize – 3,000 Linden Dollars (estimated value at $12.00).
- Third Prize- 1,000 Linden Dollars (estimated value at $4.00).
B. Estimated Total Prize package value: US$76.00. Exact value dependent upon LindeX Currency Exchange rates.
C. Winners will be contacted via private message. If a Winner cannot be contacted, is contacted and does not respond as directed within seven (7) days of attempted notification, refuses the prize or is ineligible to accept the prize, prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. All prizes claimed in accordance with the Official Rules will be awarded. A Winner may be required to provide a shipping address to claim a prize.
D. No substitutions of the prizes for cash or other goods and services is permitted by the Winners. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal value for any reason.
E. All federal, state, local and or other applicable taxes, licenses, title and/or registration fees or others costs, associated with winning a prize are the sole responsibility of Winners. The Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, shall not be responsible for any such taxes, fees and costs.
F. A Winner may have its Entry and username posted on the official Second Life sites, including but not limited to www.secondlife.com, www.facebook.com/secondlife, www.twitter.com/secondlife, www.plurk.com/SecondLife, https://plus.google.com/+secondlife/posts. Except where legally prohibited, by participating in the Contest, a Winner hereby gives Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies full permission, right and authority to use its likeness, photograph, name, hometown, and Entry, or any other information that they provide about themselves, the prize, the Contest, or Second Life, for the purposes of advertising and promotion (in any media, including but not limited to in print media, television, film, video, radio, internet or otherwise) related to the Contest, Second Life or the Sponsor, without any further notification or compensation to you other than that set out herein. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a Winner will be given an opportunity to decline inclusion in such advertising and promotions without affecting their eligibility to receive the prizes.
G. A Winner may be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and, except where prohibited, Liability/Publicity Release, in the form provided by Sponsor, within seven (7) days of attempted notification in order to claim prizes. If a minor wins a prize, it will be awarded in the name of the minor's parent or legal guardian, who will also be responsible for signing any necessary releases, consents and affidavits.
H. Any prize details not specified herein shall be determined solely by the Sponsor.
I. No more than one (1) prize per person, e-mail address, or physical address.
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS.
A. You represent and warrant that your Entry is:
- 1. Your own original work and that it does not violate any intellectual property rights or any other rights of any third party (including, without limitation, any privacy, publicity or publishing rights); and
- 2. Not libelous, obscene or otherwise contrary to law. Use of obscenities, racist, sexist, hateful or other material or depictions that, in Sponsor's sole judgment, are inappropriate or offensive will disqualify an Entry.
B. You agree to:
- 1. Be contacted by Sponsor or its agents by private message and/or email; and
- 2. Sign any requested documentation set forth in Section 5 herein (and have your parent or guardian sign such documentation where applicable or requested by Sponsor), including, without limitation an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release, in the event that your Entry is a winning Entry.
C. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages
D. Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of California.
E. Neither Sponsor nor any of its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, are responsible for lost, interrupted, or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or computer transmissions, or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic or for phone, electrical, network, computer hardware or software program malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or for ISP/network/Web site accessibility or unavailability, any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human errors; technical malfunctions; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entries; typographical, printing or other errors.
F. Illegible, incomplete, duplicate and mechanically reproduced Entries will be disqualified.
G. False, fraudulent or deceptive Entries or acts shall render Participants ineligible.
H. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Contest, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified.
I. If disqualified for any tampering or abuses, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate Participant's eligibility to participate in this Contest or any other Contest run by Sponsor.
J. In the event any portion of this Contest is compromised by virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at their sole discretion to suspend or terminate the Contest, and select a Winner from Entries received prior to the action taken.
K. All of Sponsor's decisions regarding the application and interpretation of the Rules are final.
7. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY.
A. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible Entries or Entries that are lost due to computer, Internet, or electronic malfunction.
B. By entering this contest, you agree that Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, shall not be liable for personal injuries, death, damages, expenses or costs or losses of any kind resulting from participation or inability to participate in this Contest or acceptance of or use or inability to use a prize or parts thereof including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
C. Winners release the Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and its directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns from any and all liability and responsibility with respect to a prize (including any property loss, damage, personal injury or death).
D. For residents of the EU: The provisions of B and C of this Section do not apply to claims against Sponsor, its representatives and its vicarious agents for damages because of personal injury or death, and to claims for damages in case of intent or gross negligence by Sponsor, its representatives or vicarious agents. In such circumstances, the release will apply to the fullest extent permitted by law.
E. Winners acknowledge that Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, have neither made nor are in any manner responsible for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, related to a prize.
B. Any personal data you submit in association with this Contest will be stored on a server in the United States of America. Entry into the Contest constitutes your acknowledgement to the storage of your personal data in the United States of America and its use there for the purposes of administering this Contest and associated processing (e.g., but not limited to back-up, archiving). This server is controlled by the Sponsor who is not a participant in the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor Framework. Your personal data will be stored on these servers and used for the purposes of administering this Contest and associated processing of Entries.
C. By entering this Contest, you (or, on behalf of a minor entrant, your parent or guardian) agree that your personal information may be collected, used, by Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, for the sole purpose of conducting, administering, and fulfilling the Contest, including, without limitation notifying you if you are chosen as the potential Winner and for prize delivery.
D. For Residents of France Only: Pursuant to French law pertaining to data collection and processing, you have a right of access to, modification and withdrawal of your personal data. You also have the right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The data controller is Sponsor. The recipient of your personal data is the Sponsor. Your data will be transferred outside the European Union.
E. For Residents of Germany Only: Pursuant to the German Federal Data Protection Act, you have a right to information about the personal data stored about you, including its origin, recipient or categories of recipients of the data and the purpose of the storage. In addition, you have the right of correction and, in certain circumstances, to disabling and deletion of your data and, in certain circumstances, the right to object to the collection, processing and use of your personal data. To exercise such right, you may write to: email@example.com.
F. For Residents of United Kingdom Only: Entrants have the right to access, withdraw, and correct their personal data. Entrants may request such action by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
G. If allowed under applicable law, you may exercise your right to access and modify the personal information about you stored by Sponsor by writing to email@example.com, and detailing your request.
9. WINNER LIST. Winner names and/or usernames may be posted on the official Second Life site, Second Life community forum and/or Facebook page. After January 18, 2016, Winner names and/or usernames can also be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to Linden Research, Inc., ATTN: Community, 945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111. Do not send Entries or other correspondence to this address.
10. SEVERABILITY. In the event any Provision of these Official Rules and Conditions prove unenforceable, void or incomplete, the validity of the other conditions will remain unaffected.
11. SPONSOR. This contest is sponsored by Linden Research, Inc., 945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111.
©2015 Linden Research, Inc. Linden Lab, Second Life, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Linden Research, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved.