Beta Server Office Hours/Minutes/2010-01-07

From Second Life Wiki

Second Life Wiki > Beta Server Office Hours/Minutes/2010-01-07
Jump to: navigation, search

This meeting was held on January 07th, 2010

Contents

Agenda

  • Discuss resolution of previous open items.
  • Updates
    • Happy New Year!
  • Releases
    • 1.34.2 was released.
    • 1.36.0 is imminent
  • Any other business

Resolved Items

Meeting Minutes

  • This was a light meeting.

Transcript

Transcript of Oskar Linden's Beta Server Office Hour for January 07th, 2010:

[15:06]  Oskar Linden: well I say we chill for a few minutes before getting started
[15:06]  Yann Dufaux is Offline
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: maybe let a few more people arrive
[15:06]  Eddi Decosta: back ㋡
[15:06]  Jonathan Yap: good, I can start dinner warming up
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: like Lil Linde
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: n
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: I'm gonna get a drink
[15:06]  Loki Clifton: Skiddels Vodika
[15:08]  Oskar Linden: heh
[15:08]  Eddi Decosta: i love this tag ㋡
[15:08]  Eddi Decosta: i have the same group on agni :p
[15:09]  Oskar Linden: I drink more than my fair share
[15:09]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: that tag speaks the staple of my diet, lol
[15:09]  Eddi Decosta: miumm, coffee :p
[15:09]  Oskar Linden: i will actually go and get coffee after this meeting :-)
[15:10]  Oskar Linden: alright well... looks like this is all we've got
[15:10]  Oskar Linden: might as well get started
[15:10]  Eddi Decosta: hehe ㋡
[15:10]  Oskar Linden: we'll run through this agenda here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours
[15:10]  Jonathan Yap: and I'm just a voyeur :)
[15:11]  Oskar Linden: discussion of previous open items
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: not sure what there is to say. I don't think there is much new there
[15:12]  Eddi Decosta: this first bug are very interesting ㋡
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: it's been 3 weeks since our last meeting
[15:12]  Eddi Decosta: i have emerald , if you need to test ㋡
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: you'll have to pardon me for not wanting to meet on Christmas and New Years
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: Hi OO
[15:12]  Opensource Obscure: hello everybody.
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: Welcome
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: we just got started
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours
[15:12]  Opensource Obscure: cool.
[15:12]  Eddi Decosta: hello opensource ㋡
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: Happy New Years BTW
[15:13]  Oskar Linden: to everyone
[15:13]  Eddi Decosta: yeah Happy new year to you Oskar! ㋡
[15:13]  Oskar Linden: anyone do anything cool?
[15:13]  Loki Clifton: no
[15:13]  Oskar Linden: I rushed the stage at a midnight showing New Years Eve at the Crocodile Cafe in Seattle
[15:14]  Oskar Linden: then I started pulling others on stage and soon there were more people on stage dancing with the band than in the crowd
[15:14]  Oskar Linden: the trick is to get enough people on stage that security can't get up there
[15:14]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: doesn't matter what life Oskar is in, he's a rebel all the around.
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: I like to have fun
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: tonight is the Pioneer Square art walk
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: last month I bought a painting
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: I guess I should talk about server stuff huh?
[15:16]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: sounds like he stopped before he told us he copy botted the painting.
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: ok then
[15:16]  Eddi Decosta: hehe ㋡
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: heh
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: no I paid full price
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: it was worth it
[15:16]  Loki Clifton: dose it come with a digital copy ?
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: hrm
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: i'll see what I can do
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: so we had some fun at LL on new years eve
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: with an emergency server roll
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: *sigh*
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: Lil rocked that deploy though
[15:17]  Opensource Obscure: \m/
[15:18]  Eddi Decosta: and the crash, are fixed?
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: it was an LSL server crash exploit that got a lot of play
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: that one is fixed.
[15:18]  Eddi Decosta: oh yeah ㋡
[15:18]  Eddi Decosta: and about the viewer its fixed too or no?
[15:19]  Loki Clifton: SWEET!!
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: the viewer?
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: that's my painting btw
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: it's called "Whisper"
[15:19]  Opensource Obscure: i like it!
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: made by this shy female artist in Seattle
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: I love it
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: I fell for it right away
[15:19]  Loki Clifton: its cool
[15:20]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: love the colors
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: She sold it for her monthly rent
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: and it let her stay there for another month
[15:20]  Opensource Obscure: that's the right price!
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: that made me feel good
[15:20]  Opensource Obscure: so .. we read many interesting things these days on the blog from FJ .. general database now running on Mysql 5 .. european datacenter later this year .. global caching .. these don't directly relate to sim servers , but maybe you can add some details about
[15:21]  Opensource Obscure: *that
[15:21]  Richard Linden is Online
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: the mysql5 upgrade was a HUGE process
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: they have had that in the works for more than a year
[15:23]  Opensource Obscure: should we expect any immediate improvement from this upgrade?
[15:23]  Eddi Decosta: ah its for this? this offline hours ㋡
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: the improvements may not be readily apparent
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: the newer datacenter improvements probably will be
[15:24]  Oskar Linden: we are also doing some spreading out of our datacenter pieces and parts
[15:24]  Opensource Obscure: i'm from italy, so i hope they will
[15:24]  Loki Clifton: will it fix the Large invantory people
[15:24]  Oskar Linden: that is ongoing all this year
[15:24]  Opensource Obscure: from italy we always have 200ms of latency at least
[15:24]  Opensource Obscure: oh wait. that won't change, right?
[15:25]  Richard Linden is Offline
[15:25]  Opensource Obscure: that refers to the connection with the sim server
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: that depends OO. I'm not sure on the particulars
[15:25]  Opensource Obscure: yeah and i'm not being clear i fear. np
[15:26]  Eddi Decosta: well, ysertday i never disconnected from agni :p
[15:26]  Richard Linden is Online
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: so 1.34.2 went out well it looks like
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: we froze 1.36 yesterday
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: and are very soon to getting it deployed here
[15:28]  Eddi Decosta: yeah, i get some froze on french region its horrible ㋡
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: I'll message the group when I have more 1.36 info
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: Lil is updating the release notes as we speak
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: and he sends his regards and apologizes for not being able to make it here
[15:28]  Opensource Obscure waves to Lil
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: 1.36 is mostly bug fixes
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: lots and lots of bug fixes
[15:29]  Opensource Obscure: yay!
[15:29]  Eddi Decosta: ㋡
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: there shouldn't be much that is 'confidential'
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: so hopefully the release notes will be nice and fat
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: we're hoping for an early february release
[15:29]  Richard Linden is Offline
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: we actually packed much more into 1.36 than I thought we would
[15:30]  Opensource Obscure: will Viewer 2.0 release schedule influence server releases? or they're completely independent?
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: I'll appreciate any and all help on poking it as hard as we can
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: completely independent
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: we have been dropping vwr2 pieces into server code for months now
[15:31]  Opensource Obscure: hah!
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: ;-)
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: little stuff :-p
[15:32]  Opensource Obscure: i saw something change when using a viewer i built from 2009 april code .. it uses advanced shadows .. projected textures
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: there isn't any vwr2 code out there is there?
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: I didn't think so
[15:32]  Eddi Decosta: i hope a new graphic stuff ㋡
[15:32]  Opensource Obscure: you published something under rendering-pipeline branch
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: some of it might have slipped into the release branches
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: I'm really pretty far removed from any vwr2 stuff
[15:33]  Opensource Obscure: do you know anything about Havok7?
[15:34]  Oskar Linden: nope
[15:34]  Oskar Linden: it's not on my radar
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: anyways... :-)
[15:37]  Opensource Obscure: : )
[15:37]  Oskar Linden: I'll open this meeting up to anything you guys have
[15:37]  Opensource Obscure: ..silence..
[15:37]  Oskar Linden: if not I'll call it done and we can go get coffee :-D
[15:37]  Opensource Obscure: unfortunately at this time (0.37 here) my english is even more weak.
[15:37]  Jonathan Yap: and I was just curious to see what was being discussed
[15:37]  Oskar Linden: italy was it?
[15:37]  Opensource Obscure: server issues are not so easy for me to talk about	
[15:38]  Opensource Obscure: yeah
[15:38]  Oskar Linden: no problem jonathan
[15:38]  Opensource Obscure: i'm fine if we close here , fwiw
[15:38]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: i'm ok with it
[15:38]  Oskar Linden: next week when we get 1.36 on here I encourage you to check it out and file any bugs you might find
[15:38]  Oskar Linden: where in Italy?
[15:39]  Opensource Obscure: north - not far from venice
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: I have been to venice once
[15:39]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: i took a ferry from Venice to Turkey and nearly sunk in a storm
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: oh no!
[15:40]  Opensource Obscure: whoa
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: so we're lucky to have you here then
[15:40]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: the gale was cat. 4 and the don't sail if it is a cat. 5
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: alright well I am feeling the need for my afternoon coffee
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: I will bid you all a fond farewell
[15:40]  IzzieBellah Hinterland: but the elec. eng. told me it was more like a 4.5 cat.
[15:40]  Opensource Obscure: take care Oskar
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: see you on AGNI
[15:40]  Opensource Obscure: please say ciao for me to Vektor, should you see him
[15:40]  Jonathan Yap: Bye Oskar, thanks for all the hard work you put in
[15:41]  Opensource Obscure: yay. a HUGE thanks
[15:41]  Opensource Obscure: servers are so underrated ; )
[15:41]  Opensource Obscure: bye everybody
Personal tools