Beta Server Office Hours/Minutes/2013-04-18

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[15:02] Simon Linden: Somehow Maestro got to take vacation, so I'm the ringleader today
[15:03] Whirly Fizzle: Yuzuru, it deprnds on the users connection if HTTP is faster or not.
[15:03] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): lucky you
[15:03] Whirly Fizzle: *depends
[15:03] Margithe: Uh oh, the dreaded Skype call????
[15:03] Fellony Lock Pick Hud: Reading pickconfig note card....
[15:03] Simon Linden: We can get going ... for server news, we rolled out new code to the RCs this morning
[15:04] Simon Linden: This was a returning maintenance project with bug fixes
[15:04] Rex Cronon: the thing is http needs more bandwidth....
[15:04] Margithe: There's been more bugs since yesterday than in a loong time.
[15:04] Simon Linden: The release notes are here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/13#13.04.12.273874
[15:05] Simon Linden: The highlights are the LSL animation functions, and a bug fix that should let object return catch things that were slightly off the edge of a region
[15:06] Simon Linden: Monty - did you have any news or topics to bring up?
[15:06] Monty Linden: No, I just came by to be yelled at for d203 problems.
[15:06] arton Rotaru: lol
[15:06] Simon Linden: ok, I guess we can start that now ....
[15:06] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): d203?
[15:06] Monty Linden: Otherwise, I'm heading back to viewer http work for a bit...
[15:07] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): whtas the plan for HTTP next?
[15:07] Simon Linden: That's the code that was put on the main channel Tuesday, and included in yesterday's update. It was server-side http improvements
[15:08] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): ah ok
[15:08] Monty Linden: well, full list isn't decided but mesh download is going
[15:08] Monty Linden: to get attention
[15:08] arton Rotaru: heh cool
[15:08] Monty Linden: it currently shotguns our services without really performing well
[15:09] Monty Linden: might do an experiment or two with pipelining
[15:09] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): mesh shouldnt need so may connections as it currently tries to use :P
[15:09] arton Rotaru: performs better for me than sculpts actually
[15:09] Nal (nalates.urriah): What is the status on the viewer Hinting for Interest list?
[15:09] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): about sculpt map I feel slower.
[15:09] Monty Linden: but no promises, still setting priorities
[15:10] Duckie Dickins: does the HTTP performance fixes still require a client update?
[15:10] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): ok, thx monty
[15:10] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): Are texture and sculpt map same process?
[15:10] Monty Linden: 3.4.3 was the viewer side upgrade (phase 1)
[15:10] Lucia Nightfire: I'm just glad PF fix was back on all RC's, heh.\
[15:10] Monty Linden: phase 2 was drtsim-203, all server side
[15:10] Monty Linden: phase 3 will probably be all viewer side again - not certain
[15:11] Monty Linden: I believe sculpt map is the same but I have never traced the code path in the viewer.
[15:11] Lucia Nightfire: sculpts load for slwoer than mesh imo, but probably don't use as many connects
[15:12] Lucia Nightfire: *slower
[15:12] arton Rotaru: they suck anyway
[15:12] Lucia Nightfire: *far
[15:12] Lucia Nightfire: bah
[15:12] Lucia Nightfire: yeah, most do
[15:12] arton Rotaru: my shoes alone pushing me far into the reds in ARC :p
[15:12] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): Thank you, Monty
[15:13] Simon Linden: ok - I think the table's open for topics or questions
[15:13] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): I hope so.
[15:14] Margithe: Is anything specific going on with the asset server?
[15:14] Margithe: or been going on, in the past two days?
[15:14] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): any word yet on when the viewer side changes for interest list will be public?
[15:14] Monty Linden: we had a significant network 'event' on Tuesday
[15:14] Monty Linden: impacted a lot of things
[15:14] Lucia Nightfire: yeah, what was that, heh
[15:14] Simon Linden: I haven't heard of any issues, Margithe
[15:15] Lucia Nightfire: caused capacities issues abroad
[15:15] Lucia Nightfire: I had to have several regions reset after that
[15:15] Rex Cronon: did your network became self-aware:)
[15:15] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Then they pulled the plug...
[15:15] Margithe: At some pint i got like 89 error messages about Assets not found
[15:15] Simon Linden: Yes Rex, and it's not happy with u
[15:15] Simon Linden: us
[15:16] Whirly Fizzle: Seems back to normal now. The screaming stopped in Firestorm support anyway heh. It was mostly reprorts of high packetloss & ping sim, but alls fine now.
[15:16] arton Rotaru: to many attachments worn :p
[15:16] Duckie Dickins: and is there going to be any more linden love for the beta grid asset server with it's storage issues and people still having difficultly logging in to upload mesh test objects?
[15:16] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): There is another network!
[15:16] Lucia Nightfire: sw ref, huh
[15:16] Monty Linden: beta grid is going to get some attention in the login/inv area.
[15:16] Rex Cronon: what was ther real reason for the network problems?
[15:16] Monty Linden: but don't have a date
[15:16] Monty Linden: problems are (mostly) understood
[15:17] Nal (nalates.urriah): Google had problems starting late Tuesday and into Wed morning.
[15:17] arton Rotaru: nice
[15:19] Duckie Dickins: How about the Ribbon particle feature that was brought up a few weeks ago.
[15:19] arton Rotaru: yeah ribbons
[15:19] Simon Linden: That's still in the works ... I'm not totally up-to-date with the viewer pipeline, but the new chat UI is out
[15:20] Duckie Dickins: yeah I had to watch that video like 3 times to get a handle on it. lol
[15:20] Lucia Nightfire: v3 still makes me want to punch kittens
[15:20] arton Rotaru: V3 was fine before CHUI
[15:20] Monty Linden: more than v2?
[15:20] arton Rotaru: V2 sucked big time too
[15:21] Blake Burger: why did those kittens do to you?
[15:21] Blake Burger: what*
[15:21] Simon Linden: I've grown to like the new chat UI, but I still find it too easy to type in the wrong IM window, which can lead to interesting conversations
[15:21] Duckie Dickins: I still prefer the pie menu in firestorm. :)
[15:21] Doc (drfran.babcock): yes
[15:21] Techwolf Lupindo grins
[15:21] arton Rotaru: I miss IM messages constantly
[15:21] Kennylex Luckless: I like the idea with CHUI but interface is to bulky.
[15:21] Doc (drfran.babcock): I like the CHUI
[15:21] Techwolf Lupindo: Misdircted IMs are fun. Don't you know that is a LL feature?
[15:21] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Misfenestration
[15:21] Techwolf Lupindo: :-)
[15:21] arton Rotaru: see them half an hour after they arrived
[15:21] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): from what weve been told, SSA viewer goes out next week unless theres something that crops up with the beta release that went out today
[15:22] Simon Linden: SSA or SSB?
[15:22] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): About CHUI I met an issue https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CHUIBUG-191
[15:22] arton Rotaru: yeah CHUI is still buggy as well
[15:22] Whirly Fizzle: SSA=SSB (they renamed it lol)
[15:23] Simon Linden: ah, ok ... should I ask what "A" is?
[15:23] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): apperence
[15:23] Whirly Fizzle: alpha :D
[15:23] Doc (drfran.babcock): ???
[15:23] Simon Linden: right, got it :)
[15:23] arton Rotaru: <yeah like always Prim Equivs was nice too^^
[15:23] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): cus its more than just baking textures
[15:23] Kennylex Luckless: SSA = Server Side Acronyms.
[15:24] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): some silly acronym
[15:24] Doc (drfran.babcock): :)
[15:24] Monty Linden: 41 watchers on 191 - people are interested
[15:25] Lucia Nightfire: a mirror for your ass
[15:25] Monty Linden: it'll get triaged...
[15:25] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): I added now +1
[15:25] Simon Linden: There's work going on for 191 ... I was helping them out on Monday since I used to do Japanese stuff back in the DOS era
[15:26] Lucia Nightfire: VHS fansubs
[15:26] Lucia Nightfire: heh
[15:26] Simon Linden: The viewer already has functions for positioning the IME window, so I think they just broke it with the CHUI change. It's too bad it wasn't caught earlier and made a priority then
[15:27] Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): It show not same position. It is difficult to find IM window.
[15:27] Simon Linden: right - it's pretty ugly to use
[15:28] Simon Linden: So I can't promise when a fix will be out, but there are people working on it now
[15:29] Rex Cronon: do they communicate using IM:)
[15:29] arton Rotaru: lol
[15:30] Simon Linden: /rimshot
[15:30] Simon Linden: Guess I don't have that gesture on this grid
[15:30] Jenna Felton: you must change password
[15:31] arton Rotaru: monty will fix it for after that
[15:31] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Note that you can change it to the same thing
[15:31] Doc (drfran.babcock): yeah, I will have to do that. I have a 2006 inventory here
[15:31] arton Rotaru: for you*
[15:31] Rex Cronon: there must be a better way to update than changing your pass
[15:31] Doc (drfran.babcock): yeah, I want to keep mine, for now
[15:31] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): just change it to the same value
[15:31] arton Rotaru: +1 rex
[15:31] Simon Linden: That trigger was done as a quick-and-easy way to stop having to ask a Linden to import your account
[15:32] Duckie Dickins: yeah...there needs to be a big button that just says "update my shizzle on the beta grid" and it just does it....
[15:32] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): old password fubar new password fubar
[15:32] Rex Cronon: i didn't realize u can use same value. interesting
[15:32] Lucia Nightfire: yeah, button ftw, why not
[15:32] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Saves having to change it, and then change it back
[15:32] arton Rotaru: too many fubars actally :p
[15:33] Jenna Felton: erhaps it can be posible to have a folder in the main inventory when you put there something than you find that thing in eta grid in the inventory
[15:33] Jenna Felton: perhaps*
[15:33] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Better than JANFU
[15:33] arton Rotaru: anyway, I don't want to loose my aditi inv anyway ^^
[15:33] Monty Linden: "Inventory Tubes"
[15:33] arton Rotaru: change password without updating aditi would be cool
[15:33] Duckie Dickins: well someone said it's actually all the same asset server but some assets are marked for the beta grid and some are marked for the main grid.
[15:33] Jenna Felton: use a some kind exchange server between the grids, with access to that repository via a special folder in hte inventory
[15:34] Duckie Dickins: I think it may have been oskar when trying to explain how it works.
[15:34] Jenna Felton: with restriction perhaps that only full perm things or created by oneself are exchange-able, like the import/export restriction
[15:34] arton Rotaru: I guess it was Andrew
[15:34] Simon Linden: The real magic isn't the asset system, it's your inventory database. The assets are all just in a big storage system. Your inventory is what says which assets are yours
[15:35] Whirly Fizzle: Does beta grid use the same asset system but a separate inventory database?
[15:35] Rex Cronon: so if u can hack your inventory u can own anything;)
[15:35] Duckie Dickins: oh maybe that was it..one asset system...two databases
[15:35] Doc (drfran.babcock): omg.
[15:35] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): pwned!
[15:36] Doc (drfran.babcock): I would like some 2013 hair
[15:36] Jenna Felton: what hair is that?
[15:36] Monty Linden: Inventory is recorded onto Post-It (tm) notes and optically
[15:36] Monty Linden: scanned at rez time.
[15:36] Simon Linden: There's 8 months left to get it :)
[15:36] Duckie Dickins: it all makes sense now!
[15:36] Whirly Fizzle: ROFL, sometimes it appears that way :D
[15:36] Doc (drfran.babcock): hair that isn't from 2007, the last time I changed my password
[15:36] Jenna Felton: ahh
[15:37] Doc (drfran.babcock) goes in search of new hair
[15:37] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): look in andrew's inventory for the latest in avatar faction ware
[15:37] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): :P
[15:37] Jenna Felton: passwords should have the maximum lifetime of half year
[15:37] Doc (drfran.babcock): heh
[15:37] Simon Linden: I'm hair-challenged so I can't help
[15:37] arton Rotaru: at that time they updated it automatically from time to time
[15:37] arton Rotaru: the update I got was in 2099
[15:37] Doc (drfran.babcock): yes, Jenna, but having to remember about 100 of them....egads
[15:37] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): so you can be forced to change it to something stupid?
[15:37] arton Rotaru: err 2009
[15:37] Whirly Fizzle: No way am I changing my password after what happened last time. I just got fixed :D
[15:37] Doc (drfran.babcock): oh?
[15:38] Rex Cronon: no way. i don't like passwords that expire
[15:38] Blake Burger: so hows all of those experience tools things coming?
[15:38] Duckie Dickins: is that beta grid money script still running where if you had less than 10000 L$ it bumped you up 10000 L$?
[15:38] Lucia Nightfire: LL changes it for you then askes you for teh first names of three of your "Resident" surname friends
[15:38] Nal (nalates.urriah): When changing password you can go into inventory failure problems.
[15:38] Whirly Fizzle: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7727 is evil
[15:38] Nal (nalates.urriah): Well probs in ADITI
[15:39] Doc (drfran.babcock): oh, right, I remember when that was happening, thanks, Nal and Whirly
[15:39] Duckie Dickins: yeah...I have been putting off changing my password for that very reason
[15:39] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): I think that is fixed now. 7727
[15:39] arton Rotaru: it will be fixed soon, monty just said :p
[15:39] Doc (drfran.babcock): I will wait then
[15:39] Doc (drfran.babcock): I can wear this old hair anyway
[15:40] Jenna Felton: yes, really better to wait
[15:40] arton Rotaru: you look good enough yeah ^^
[15:40] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Was using primary to test SSA and the changes stuck
[15:40] Simon Linden: Blake - I don't have an update on those. I think they're still sorting out how and when that's going to be made available
[15:40] Jenna Felton: i have seen here malls around. perhaps there is one that sells hair for the beta grid that is not so old?
[15:40] Blake Burger: cool thanks simon
[15:41] Doc (drfran.babcock): heh, I put on my monkey head. All good now
[15:41] arton Rotaru: ah flat shading, thats expensive :p
[15:41] Duckie Dickins: is luna on the beta grid? I know that mall will probably have some.
[15:41] Rex Cronon: the linens can bring here a few shopping sims:)
[15:42] Duckie Dickins: it's the mall the lindens forgot about.
[15:42] Doc (drfran.babcock): hehhehe, the Secret Mall
[15:42] Kennylex Luckless: Btw, LL need get new mesh avatars thet can show of new texture til SL10B.
[15:42] Doc (drfran.babcock): I want to be able to buy land here
[15:42] arton Rotaru: yeah copy the entire agni grid and we will live for free then^^
[15:42] Jenna Felton: btw, about avatar apperance. is there plans to make the shape detachable so you have none at all and not one that you have to "delete" with an alpha layer. That is usefull if you wear some mesh avatar that not needs parts of the shape?
[15:42] Jenna Felton: detached shape would not waste render resources in that case as when it does when under alpha
[15:42] Duckie Dickins: you mean materials?
[15:43] arton Rotaru: detaching the default AV mesh you mean
[15:43] Jenna Felton: Sim luna is on beta grid
[15:43] Jenna Felton: yes Arton
[15:43] Simon Linden: Jenna - I don't have an answer but I've wondered the same thing. It seems like it would be more efficient than hiding with an alpha
[15:43] arton Rotaru: the alpha layers should derender it imho
[15:43] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): nyx would be able to answer that better
[15:44] Simon Linden: Its really a viewer based feature
[15:44] Jenna Felton: when i highlight transparency, in firestorm. i do see also the parts of the shape that are cleaned out via alpha. no idea how other viewer handle that.
[15:44] Duckie Dickins: well I think you would still need shape for your basic size information
[15:45] Jenna Felton: Cool viewer apparently not shows cleaned parts
[15:45] Simon Linden: That's true
[15:45] Margithe: The default avatar mesh is facing slow death, having nearly none of the new options that worn mesh can use. The only upside are the sliders. can we have avatar 2.0, please.
[15:45] arton Rotaru: can we have havok vehicles as well pls
[15:45] Jenna Felton: ok Dukle und Simon
[15:46] Duckie Dickins: yeah avatar 2.0.....just support both of them at the same time so old content doesn't break. :D
[15:46] Lucia Nightfire: I want cake.
[15:46] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): the cake is a lie
[15:46] arton Rotaru: you want more fancy ban functions :p
[15:46] Nal (nalates.urriah): I want pie
[15:46] Margithe: It would be a lot better, resource-wise to make a new base avatar, instead of telling everyone to replace it with user-created mesh (for basic human shapes even), because those are overloaded with verts and textures.
[15:46] Simon Linden: cookies, anyone?
[15:46] Duckie Dickins: well I wanted LSL socket functions too but I was told a resounding no from kelly. :D
[15:47] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): !cookies
[15:47] arton Rotaru: lol
[15:47] Kennylex Luckless: When shall this be fixed, the mesh rig destroyer bug?
[15:47] Rex Cronon: i want a correct llXorBase64StringsCorrect :)
[15:47] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): FIRE-8507
[15:47] Simon Linden: well, you have two funky versions to choose from now :P
[15:47] arton Rotaru: you got your hat fixed Rex, you should be fine now ^^
[15:47] Donut-PDM: Let's eat!
[15:47] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-8507 simon, just for you :P
[15:47] Rex Cronon: it didn't get fixed. is a new one:)
[15:48] arton Rotaru: nice
[15:48] Simon Linden: lol, thanks Tankmaster
[15:48] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): np :D
[15:49] Lucia Nightfire: Simon, anyone looking at SEC-1204 ?
[15:49] Lucia Nightfire: I can still crash sims with it
[15:49] Duckie Dickins: griefer!
[15:49] arton Rotaru: ban lucia, shes a crahser :p
[15:49] Lucia Nightfire: not common to crash sims with moderation means
[15:50] MartinRJ Fayray: Bing.com tells me that sec(-1204°) equals -1,78829165
[15:50] Lucia Nightfire: been like that since the region cross code was rolled out
[15:50] Simon Linden: Kelly has been doing most of the crash work ... I know we have fixes in the code that went on RC yesterday, and more out next week on Wednesday. It would be good to know if next week's changes help at all
[15:51] Lucia Nightfire: I'll let you know after any mroe "accidents"
[15:51] Lucia Nightfire: which is what they actually are
[15:51] Duckie Dickins: get some mod rights in morris and you can crash our meeting as a proof of concept
[15:51] Simon Linden puts a note in Lucia's Permanent Record
[15:51] Lucia Nightfire: delayed sendhomes/ejects with a ban made
[15:52] Rex Cronon: this is funny . if read u read"next week's changes god help as all" :)
[15:52] arton Rotaru: lol
[15:53] arton Rotaru: well god bless us all
[15:53] Lucia Nightfire: that will be when SSA goes live grid wide, as there will no doubt be a wave of whining and confusion no matter how much heads up you give
[15:53] Lucia Nightfire: especially from teh copybot users
[15:53] arton Rotaru: fun times ahead
[15:53] arton Rotaru: more dramaaa
[15:53] Duckie Dickins: Simon is going on vacation that week
[15:54] Lucia Nightfire: support will be doing maintenance for 36 hours
[15:54] Rex Cronon: why would the copybotter be confused?
[15:54] Lucia Nightfire: that'd be a killer time to do asset server maintenance too, really screw things over bigtime
[15:54] Whirly Fizzle: They can't rip someone avi layers anymore
[15:55] Rex Cronon: if u have only one layer it still can
[15:55] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): all i can say about SSA is death to phoenix! :P
[15:55] Margithe: nah, won't stop anyone. Buy the thing you want, go to sandbox, rip away
[15:55] Lucia Nightfire: I'll still have to use Phoenix too
[15:55] Lucia Nightfire: it has teh best inspection options of any viewer
[15:56] Lucia Nightfire: if I didn't handle 1500+ IP cases a year I wouldn't use it now
[15:56] Lucia Nightfire: but my hand is forced
[15:56] Lucia Nightfire: I only wish that FIRE-6656 would get soem love
[15:56] Whirly Fizzle: Techs working on that Licia
[15:56] Whirly Fizzle: *Lucia
[15:57] Lucia Nightfire: yay
[15:57] Kallista Arliss (kallista.destiny): Booooooooos at Martin
[15:57] MartinRJ Fayray: O.o
[15:58] Rex Cronon: u should be able to pay to have a developer work on a specific firestorm issue:)
[15:58] Blake Burger: death to phoenix would be okay with me :p
[15:58] Whirly Fizzle: & who's gonna pay? :P
[15:59] Monty Linden needs some new shoes ...
[15:59] arton Rotaru: don't buy sculpty shoes ^^
[15:59] Jenna Felton: hehe
[15:59] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): yeah, sure rez, and we all know that worked so well with qarl...
[16:00] Lucia Nightfire: lol
[16:00] And all I got was this lousy DN (tankmaster.finesmith): rex*
[16:00] Lucia Nightfire: I knew it
[16:00] arton Rotaru: alright, we killed another 60 minutes of our lives. thx for the meeting
[16:00] Lucia Nightfire: lol
[16:00] Simon Linden: Thanks everyone for coming today and the good chat