Bug triage/2007-07-09/Transcript

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda

[15:00] Bridie Linden: wow Dale
[15:00] Squirrel Wood: It's a Rob ^^
[15:01] Dale Glass: well, it's the standard LL one + a few things of mine
[15:01] Dale Glass: hiya Rob :-)
[15:01] Rob Linden: hi all
[15:01] Soft Linden: Hey hey!
[15:01] Squirrel Wood: hihi ^^
[15:01] Bridie Linden: heya soft!
[15:02] Dzonatas Sol: good afternoon(slt)
[15:02] Soft Linden: Gonna be idle just a few minutes here. Trying to get the crash reports updated and linked to issues
[15:03] Soft Linden: Hey hey Dzonatas!
[15:04] Rob Linden wonders if we have a quorum
[15:04] Rob Linden: VWR-1400 is the top of the list
[15:05] Bridie Linden: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_triage/Monday_Agenda
[15:05] Rob Linden: a little agenda bashing first; any problems with the list as it is right now?
[15:06] Squirrel Wood: yup. persistence may be useful. especially if SL decides to crash on you
[15:06] Bridie Linden: none, except 1400 is already Fixed Internally
[15:06] Squirrel Wood: If it makes things easier for everyone I'd keep it that way
[15:07] Rob Linden: well, that's easy
[15:07] Rob Linden: next: VWR-434
[15:07] Bridie Linden: hiya Aric
[15:07] Aric Linden: hey now bridie!
[15:07] Rob Linden: looks like VWR-434 is imported already
[15:08] Squirrel Wood: Oh.. did SVC-392 get imported yet? ^^
[15:08] Rob Linden: squirrel wood...yes
[15:08] Dale Glass: mind if I add a bug to the agenda?
[15:08] Rob Linden: Dale: which one?
[15:09] Dale Glass: VWR-1448
[15:09] Dale Glass: I get it on a pretty much constant basis, so should be easy to reproduce
[15:10] Rob Linden: can you work with Torley on a repro?
[15:10] Rob Linden: looks like he tried
[15:10] Dale Glass: ok, will give it a try
[15:10] Dale Glass: seems to happen to my scanner every time on login, but that's probably a bit too big
[15:10] Rob Linden: k....next up: VWR-1610
[15:11] Dzonatas Sol: looks like James just tested VWR-1610
[15:11] Squirrel Wood: Torley Linden - 09/Jul/07 10:02 AM Thanks all -- FYI, Rob Linden imported this and several of our devs are aware.
[15:11] Rob Linden: oh, righto
[15:11] Squirrel Wood: ^^
[15:12] Rob Linden: no need to belabor then
[15:12] Rob Linden: next up: WEB-192
[15:12] Soft Linden: (ack - brb - garage door repairman)
[15:13] Squirrel Wood: looks like a serious threat to me
[15:14] Rob Linden: looks liek it was fixed, too
[15:14] Dale Glass: looks scary
[15:14] Dale Glass: Yikes O.o
[15:14] Dzonatas Sol: should it stay in jira?
[15:15] Rob Linden: err. wait, I was looking at the wrong one
[15:17] Rob Linden: k...I've imported and moved it into the security category. horse is out of the barn, but at least it's in our internal tracker. I'm guessing this is probably already fixed, but it's good to have a way of tracking it
[15:18] Rob Linden: next up: MISC-378
[15:18] Dale Glass: wontfix
[15:19] Boroondas Gupte had to reset pw by phone -- how secure's that if no one at LL knows your voice?
[15:19] Dale Glass: no way to fix really
[15:19] Bridie Linden nods
[15:19] Dzonatas Sol: agree
[15:20] buz80 Sands: hi
[15:20] Rob Linden: yeah, I think so....Bridie, you all were discussing this one earlier?
[15:21] Bridie Linden: yes - we weren't sure what to do w/it...
[15:21] Boroondas Gupte: hi buz, have a seat
[15:21] Rob Linden: I think Cube has the action item here, if I recall
[15:21] Bridie Linden: 'security through obscurity'?
[15:21] Rob Linden: anyway, it's imported already, so we don't need to discuss
[15:21] Bridie Linden: Yeah, Cube will post a comment
[15:21] Bridie Linden: agreed
[15:21] Bridie Linden: les' move on
[15:22] Rob Linden: hi buz80: agenda here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_triage/Monday_Agenda
[15:22] Rob Linden: next up
[15:22] buz80 Sands: thank i new i am a little lost
[15:22] Rob Linden: SVC-273
[15:23] Dale Glass: looks complicated without a repro
[15:23] Dzonatas Sol: 273 is... "interesting"
[15:23] Boroondas Gupte: yeah
[15:23] Dale Glass: but I've noticed there's sometimes an inconsistency between the permissions you see in the inventory, and the permissions an object has when rezzed. Maybe related?
[15:24] Squirrel Wood: Might want to look into the sexgen case and check if the scripts used are identical in the supposedly "stolen" / "cheaper" objects
[15:25] Bridie Linden: is there a solid repro?
[15:25] Rob Linden: looks liek a metaissue to me
[15:25] Squirrel Wood: Not that I am aware
[15:26] Dzonatas Sol: mmhmm
[15:26] Soft Linden: Need a repro on that, however I don't know if we'd want a public repo in advance of fixing it. Should that be noted saying there's an award for privately disclosing a verifiable repro?
[15:26] Rob Linden: should I try to resolve/no repro, or mark it as a meta issue
[15:27] Rob Linden: ?
[15:27] Dzonatas Sol: well, its not a blocker
[15:27] Soft Linden: Since we've got a standing reward for security issues anyway
[15:27] Squirrel Wood: Linden for a day? ^^
[15:28] Rob Linden: I'll mark it as meta, with Soft's suggestion to make sure any repros are private
[15:29] Soft Linden: Might add a note promising full discolure after the fix, too. So we're not raising any hackles.
[15:29] Soft Linden: disclosure
[15:30] Squirrel Wood: couls this be a rare case of some code mixing up udp packets?
[15:30] Rob Linden: I'd put that, but I don't want to promise it without having a disclosure plan
[15:30] Rob Linden: (it'd suck to promise something we don't follow through on)
[15:31] Rob Linden: ok....moving on
[15:31] Rob Linden: WEB-34
[15:31] Anime Emoticon V2.8: Confused
[15:31] Squirrel Wood: wb
[15:31] Squirrel Wood: what about SVC-273?
[15:31] Soft Linden: Hee. Thought SL had died. Bluetooth batteries though.
[15:32] Rob Linden: SVC-273: mark as a meta issue, and request repros to security@lindenlab.com
[15:32] Squirrel Wood: kk
[15:33] Rob Linden: WEB-34 .... I'm going to resolve. I think that may be the work of our random state changer dude
[15:34] Rob Linden: next up MISC-37
[15:34] Squirrel Wood: People are still having issues sending those messages to large groups
[15:35] Soft Linden: BIG time.
[15:35] Dzonatas Sol: I've seen the issue happen
[15:35] Bridie Linden: We're aware Squirrel...
[15:35] Rob Linden: ok...leaving open
[15:36] Rob Linden: looks like it's reopened internally, too
[15:36] Bridie Linden: Yup
[15:36] Rob Linden: probably belongs in SVC, though
[15:36] Rob Linden: next up: SVC-44
[15:36] Dale Glass: from the comments it sounds like James is on it already
[15:37] Squirrel Wood: yups
[15:37] Rob Linden: james was on it in March.
[15:37] Rob Linden: now he's done
[15:38] Bridie Linden: this is old...
[15:38] Dale Glass: oops
[15:38] Rob Linden: looks like a meta issue....every time this breaks it's going to get reopened
[15:39] Bridie Linden: email to IM not group IMs?
[15:40] Rob Linden: though I suppose it's specific enough
[15:40] Rob Linden: I think this is working, though
[15:40] Bridie Linden: Does it still repro?
[15:40] Squirrel Wood: replying to IMs that are sent when you are offline.. I think those do have a time limit
[15:40] Soft Linden: Didn't see ya Gigs - hey hey :)
[15:40] Gigs Taggart: hi
[15:41] Bridie Linden: Heya Gigs
[15:42] Dzonatas Sol: I tink it is no repro
[15:42] Rob Linden: Since SVC-44 is likely an old issue, it may be best to resolve for now
[15:42] Rob Linden: (that's what I'll do)
[15:42] Rob Linden: next up: SVC-85
[15:43] Squirrel Wood: popular one.
[15:43] Gigs Taggart: the french character issue isn't that old
[15:43] Soft Linden: Definitely seeing this one myself at times.
[15:43] Dale Glass: yep, it's ancient
[15:43] Soft Linden: As recently as Saturday.
[15:43] Dzonatas Sol: Seem to be wrose from the last update
[15:44] Soft Linden: Actually, right now my list only has 1 person on, missing five folks sitting here right now. :)
[15:44] Rob Linden: looks like both LLJIRA and Public JIRA agree, and there's even someone assigned
[15:44] Rob Linden: so...no further action. next up: VWR-1224
[15:45] Bridie Linden: Yup Jake and Kelly are looking at 85
[15:46] Dale Glass: no sound in linux yet :-(
[15:46] Rob Linden: k....this one was imported after being reopened, so it should be synced up
[15:46] Rob Linden: heh....except it isn;'t
[15:46] Rob Linden: looks like "can't repro" is internal resolution
[15:46] Gigs Taggart: it appears to be related to crappy third party sound drivers
[15:46] Gigs Taggart: as the last comment shows
[15:47] Gigs Taggart: maybe someone could get that sound driver to repro it
[15:47] Soft Linden: If we ask them to note this JIRA in their crash report, we can get a stack that way. We can search those after they come in.
[15:48] Soft Linden: Please note this JIRA in crash report and make a comment here after you've done so
[15:49] Rob Linden: I don't know what "Screaming Bee" is, but it sounds terrifying, and like something designed to mess things up
[15:49] Rob Linden: :)
[15:49] Soft Linden grins
[15:49] Gigs Taggart: it probably comes with build in network stack hijacking spyware :)
[15:49] Aric Linden: laughs
[15:49] Aric Linden: droneware
[15:50] Soft Linden: Looks like Screeming Bee is voice morphing software
[15:50] Squirrel Wood: Nonono. It will transfer all your moneys to someone else
[15:50] Gigs Taggart: yeah
[15:50] Soft Linden: So they're probably not using a straight-up audio device here.
[15:50] Gigs Taggart: it still may be a real bug related to unusual audio devices
[15:50] Rob Linden: ok, I think i'd like to resolve this. if they give us a stack trace, we can let them reopen it
[15:51] Gigs Taggart: yeah resolve I think, but we should tell them how to put the jira in the crash log
[15:51] Rob Linden: if they report the time they send in a crash log, we can find it
[15:52] Rob Linden: next up: VWR-1603
[15:52] Dzonatas Sol: imported
[15:52] Gigs Taggart: heh, the neat thing about this is that once you have the patch, everyone else looks like they are walking better too :)
[15:52] Rob Linden: ah, yup...moving on: VWR-1598
[15:53] Gigs Taggart: this is controversial
[15:53] Squirrel Wood: Now that one will make ao scripts less useful ;)
[15:53] Gigs Taggart: Seg was rejected in the past for submitting patches that break internal build processes.. so be careful
[15:53] Gigs Taggart: but
[15:53] Rob Linden: k....so, the problem is a real one
[15:53] Gigs Taggart: that said, 1598 should be looked at
[15:54] Rob Linden: fair enough. we'll import
[15:54] Dzonatas Sol: debian based, they may need the -dev libs
[15:55] Rob Linden: next up: VWR-1594
[15:56] Rob Linden: looks reasonable
[15:56] Bridie Linden: usre
[15:56] Bridie Linden: sure
[15:56] Bridie Linden: 0 votes tho
[15:56] Rob Linden: (hopefully not overzealous)
[15:57] Soft Linden: Ya, but super safe and technically correct.
[15:57] Bridie Linden nods
[15:57] Boroondas Gupte votes for it
[15:57] Rob Linden: I just looked at it. looks reasonable
[15:57] Rob Linden: (the actual patch, that is)
[15:58] Gigs Taggart: at a minimum that comment should say FIX or HACK :)
[15:58] Rob Linden: import
[15:58] Rob Linden: next: VWR-1586
[15:58] Soft Linden: Just so long as we don't get a s/'/Hi mom!/ in there.
[15:58] Dale Glass: That looks quite straightforward to me. But the comment it's removing is curious
[15:58] Dzonatas Sol: are these valgrind reports as good as stack traces?
[15:59] Dale Glass: valgrind works very well in my experience
[15:59] Gigs Taggart: yeah I was referring to 1586 just now, sorry got ahead :)
[15:59] Gigs Taggart: that might be dangerous to accept as is, but like he says if it's still a problem it should be tracked down
[15:59] Rob Linden: will import
[15:59] Dale Glass: also, valgrind reports stuff that doesn't crash (at least immediately), so you wouldn't get a stack trace
[16:00] Soft Linden: The problem with misusing a delete/free vs delete[] is you can miss a bunch of destructor calls
[16:00] Soft Linden: So you can get a lot of stuff that doesn't crash, but silently leaks
[16:00] Rob Linden: looks worth investigating
[16:00] Rob Linden: anyway, I'm timing out now
[16:00] Gigs Taggart: yeah this could reflect a problem with a null dereference in a destructor somewhere
[16:01] Gigs Taggart: or one that used to exist
[16:01] Dzonatas Sol: babye
[16:01] Rob Linden: thanks everyone for showing up!
[16:01] Soft Linden: Ya.
[16:01] Dale Glass: later :-)
[16:01] Soft Linden: Thanks all :)
[16:01] Aric Linden: bye
[16:01] Dzonatas Sol: tc
[16:01] Bridie Linden: later
[16:01] Squirrel Wood: thank you for investing the time to get our opinions ^^