Dams are massive constructions or natural obstacles along the rivers. They have a strong influence on the hydrographic network and on navigation. They can be used as orientation points, since many times they are visible on map. Dams are found only in some Linden-owned continents: Sansara, Heterocera, Zindra, Sharp Continent, Premium Continents and Corsica, on rare occasions they can be found in other places.
Unlike real world, water level is at the same Altitude inside a sim. River water does not differ from lake water or ocean water. It has the same wawes and doesn't flow in any direction. The fact that we consider water as rivers, lakes or ocean, comes in fact from our imagination. There are flowing rivers and waterfalls, but they are in fact prims (sculpted and scripted) and also particles (created with llParticleSystem function). Since all water has the same altitude inside a sim, dams are placed at the sim borders. A dam can be defined as a structure that separates two bodies of water with different elevations.
There are two kinds of dams:
- Concrete Dams are massive structures that block water of a river and create a lake behind. These are the classic structures people refer as dams.
- Natural Dams are made of boulders, wood, ice or stone and they create waterfalls, they are found along rivers. They are better known as waterfalls.
The following list is made as much as possible in alphabetic order.
Corsica has 6 dams, all placed into a single sim.
- Linden Memorial Complex is a group of 6 concrete dams at the border of Linden memorial Park sim. They create large waterfalls. Altitude is 20 meters before the dam and 6 meters after the dam, so altitude difference is 14 meters. An interesting fact is that the water comes from the ocean, through the rivers of Linden Memorial Subcontinent and then flows into this low-altitude sim.
Heterocera has nearly only natural dams, usually close to the shores. The rivers in Heterocera are small and short and altitude rises fast from coast to inner land.
- Grote Waterfall is a natural dam in Grote sim that blocks the river flowing from Grote lake into the ocean. The waterfall is 30 meters high (Grote lake is at an altitude of 50 meters, while the ocean is at 20).
- Sesia Dam is the only private-owned dam. It has only 6 meters high. Part of the water flows through a sluice from 65 to 35 meters high and part flows through pipes, feeding a power plant downstream (see Heterocera Outer Waters).
- Siona Dam is a small concrete dam built at the border of Siona sim, on a river. It has 10 meters high (water falls from an altitude of 30 meters to 20, the ocean level). Even if this dam is made of concrete, it doesn't produce electricity, but a big waterfall.
- Acontia - Emmelia Waterfall is at the separation line between these two sims. It is a big waterfall (it has 30 meters, fater falls from an altitude of 50 meters to 20 meters, ocean level). The dam is made by ground and boulders.
- Moma Waterfall 2 is a natural dam made of boulders, between Togata and Moma sims. Water falls 15 meters, from an altitude of 35, to 20.
- Moma Waterfall 1 is upstream, at the border between Moma and Tridens. Water falls from an altitude of 60 meters to 35 (so a difference of 25 meters in altitude) over a natural boulder dam.
- Dubia - Polia Waterfall is created by a natural dam between Dubia and Polia sims and has 35 meters high (55 is water level in Dubia and 20 is the oceanic level).
- Spini Reservoir is a small dam close to road 1, inside Spini sim. It is only 7 meters high, not connected with other water basins and made of a special kind of water (textured prim).
All premium continents have a dam in the center. These dams have some common features: Above the dam, lake altitude is 58 meters, downstream the altitude is 20, so the waterfall is 38 meters. the top of the dam is at 60 meters. All dams are made of concrete and have a road on top (note that this road is as long as the dam itself).
- Canard Reservoir - Premium East
- Trona Reservoir - Premium South 1
- Long Dash Reservoir - Premium South 2
- Folcastle Reservoir - Premium South 3
Sansara has the largest network of dams, both concrete and natural dams. The Sutherland Abyss hydrographic system is made of a central lake that flows into the ocean through 4 dams and covers a large part of the continent. The second hydrographic system is made of natural dams, inside Volcano Sims.
Sutherland Abyss Basin
- Sutherland Dam is placed in Sutherland sim, near a terminal railway station of SJRR. It is a massive concrete dam. Altitude difference is 60 meters (from 80 to 20). The dam itself is 4 meters above lake level. The lake behind is really a sea, known as sutherland Abyss.
- Sugarolaf Dam is similar to Sutherland Dam, made also of concrete and with the same altitude difference. The waterbody held behind these dams is common, it is actually possible to sail from one dam to the other. It is placed in the tundra that separates Snowlands from the rest of the continent.
- Grindenwald Ice Dam is a natural obstacle in Snowlands. Water comes here from Sutherland Abyss and finally falls 20 meters from an altitude of 80 meters.
- Ross Dam is probably a man-made boulder dam in the tundra of Ross (north-East to Snowlands) that created a waterfall of 15 meters high, from an altitude of 35 meters to the ocean level.
- Tethys - Mimas waterfall is a natural boulder dam North to the Snowlands. Water falls from 60 to 35 meters (an altitude change of 25 meters).
- Enceladus Waterfall is the result of a natural dam at the border of Enceladus sim. Water falls from 60 meters high to 35, resulting a waterfall of 25 meters. It is placed in tundra, North to Snowlands.
- Garmisch Dam is a very sharp dam, created probably by human hands. Upstream, water altitude is 80 meters, downstream is 60 (a waterfall of 20 meters is created). It is placed at the Northern border of Snowlands.
- Ganymede Dam is a big concrete one, one of the most Western dams in Sansara. It receives water from Tethys - Mimas waterfall. Water level is at 35 meters upstream and 20 meters (ocean level) downstream, resulting a difference of 15 meters. The dam itself is high, with its top at 61 meters high. It is also important for transportation, a road goes accross the dam.
- Grouse - Cottonwood Ice Dam is plced in Snowlands. It receives water from Grindenwald Ice Dam. Water falls 40 meters, from an altitude of 60 meters, to ocean level.
Volcano Hydrographic System
- Uli Waterfall 1 is at the border between Mahalu and Uli. Water falls 18 meters (from 40 to 22), from a lake to another lake and then to Uli Waterfall 2.
- Uli Waterfall 2 is a tiny boulder obstacle in the way of a river. Water falls just 2 meters, from 22 to 20.
- Ukanipo Waterfall 1 is at the border between Mahalu and Ukanipo sims. Water falls 15 meters, from a tiny lake, to form a river and then fall in Wkanipo Waterfall 2.
- Ukanipo Waterfall 2 is the result of a small boulder dam. Water falls only 5 meters (from 25 to ocean level).
- Apukohai Waterfall is placed close to the start point of a river that forms from Mahalu mountain and doesn't flow into the sea. Altitude drops 20 meters, from 40 to 20. There is also a water pipeline nearby.
- Aluea - Puea Waterfall 1 is a natural obstacle on a river that flows from Mahulu, through Aluea to Puea sim. Upstream, water level is 40 meters, while downstream it is 25 meters. After passing through Aluea sim, the river enters the next waterfall.
- Aluea - Puea Waterfall 2 receives water from Aluea sim, at an altitude of 25 meters. Waterfall is only 5 meters high. Downstream, water is at the oceanic level.
- Aluea - Oloupe Waterfall 1 is a waterfall created by a natural boulder dam, North to Mahalu. Water falls from an altitude of 40 meters to 25 meters (15 meters altitude difference), then flows to the next waterfall.
- Aluea - Oloupe Waterfall 2 receives water from the previous waterfall, at an altitude of 25 meters. It is a small fall, of 5 meters high. Downstream, water has the same altitude with the oceans.
Sharp Continent has many similarities with Sansara, including the presence of both concrete and natural dams.
- Brighton Dam is a large, concrete dam, one of the bigest throughout the grid. Upstream, water level is 35 meters, while downstream it has the same level with the ocean (20 meters), resulting in a waterfall of 15 meters. The dam is very high (65 meters is maximum altitude). There are many facilities, including a power plant and a pumping station.
- Svecia Waterfall receives water from the lake created by Brighton Dam. It is a natural obstacle inside the deepest canyon of the whole grid; downstream water has the same altitude with the ocean.
- Lappi Icee Dam is placed at the entrance to Sharp Snowlands. It is huge, 60 meters high (cold water is flowing from 80 meters high) and so it is the highest natural dam.
Zindra has a few concrete dams.
- Oritz Dam is built on the main river of Zindra, North brench, in Kama City. Water falls 15 meters, from an altitude of 35 meters. There is an infohub right inside the dam.
- Terri - Guittarez Dam is built on the main river of Zindra, South brench, that separates Kama City from sburbia. It has many similarities with Oritz dam, in fact the lake created by both dams is common.
- The North Reservoir is between Pangellan Bridge and Laffoon sims. It creates a small lake and is the widest of all dams. Its interior can be visited. Water falls from an altitude of 50 meters to the lake created by the other two dams (altitude difference is 15 meters). The dam rises 9 meters above its lake (59 meters).
Outside the continents
Second Life Geography team found only two small dams somewhere in Dutchie sims. In fact, these are sluice doors that protect the river inside the sims from external water. These sims are in Grid Sector E9, A015 Sim Cluster. It is possible that other private-owned dams might exist, but their number is not big.